main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Post Celebration Blues

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Jedi Older Code, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Thought I'd start a thread to help support people with the blues over getting back to normal life after celebrations. My first celebration was filled with highs and lows but overall it was an incredible time. My wife and I met a lot of people we are staying in touch with and it was hard saying goodbye. We also got a photo with Mark Hamill. Coming off last weeks Star Wars high has been... rough. Anyone else feeling depressed? Anyone have ways they have coped with these feelings? Let's talk it out.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Hi, my name is MotivateR5D4, and I'm addicted to Star Wars Celebration.

It all started two years ago. After my first time, I just became so enthralled with the experience, so attached to it, that I just couldn't go back to life without it. That time it sent me on about a two month high, just constantly reliving it in my head, doing everything I can to maintain it, including getting more involved in the community around it, and feeling so empty without it and wondering how it is I got by before I became involved with it. It was all I thought about and wanted to get back to.

It was also a gateway of sorts, because when I finally came down from that initial high, I started doing other Cons, just to try and recapture what it was like that very first time I tried it. Some were bigger than others, sometimes I had to settle for less, but I still just needed that pick me up every once in a while. I couldn't help it, if it was there and within reach, I had to do it. Star Wars Celebration was the catalyst for that. It changed my life.

Now, after my second full dose of it, one that I absolutely had to do, no matter the costs, it was a little easier in terms of moving on from it when it was over. I didn't get as panicked this time as it drew nearer to the inevitable end. I was able to ease off it much better, accept that it won't last forever, and know that I'll be able to do it again one day. It was a little weird at times, like waking up and not feeling that rush the day after, even though there was still some residual from that. There was some sadness and withdrawal. But as long as I enjoyed it to the fullest extent when I was entrenched in it, things were going to be okay, and I could accept what I did without reaching for more. Granted, a lot of that has to do with now partaking in the community around it on a much more consistent basis and knowing it's never far from reach if I wanted it. And that is very much a thanks to...all of you. That was something I didn't have last time. But also I know now that it will always be with me, and that I'm never fully over it, I'm just sort of waiting until the next round begins.

So, as I sit here now, I say thank you, today is a good day, because Star Wars Celebration is never far from reach, and will always return. If you trust that, you'll be alright. ;)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    After Celebration in London last year, it wasn't so much the blues but the 'con crud'. My US visitor and I were both down with it, and he had to fly home a couple of days later.

4. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    This was my third SWC and I agree that there is always a letdown when returning to the real world. This time around it was worse than before because my friends and I were in the building before dawn and stayed until after all official festivities concluded on each of the four days. I described it to another friend as being part of an alternate reality. While at the Celebration it was difficult to remember what day it was and that there were people out there going about their normal lives. LOL! Now, back at work, I keep finding myself reaching out for that connection on these message boards and long hours of immersion in the books and other swag I picked up...

5. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Haha, me too. And I wasn't even there! I watched the live stream and I still look at these boards, facebook and the subreddit all the time. I WANNA TALK CELEBRATION!!

6. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014
    I totally relate to the stuff you are saying. Ha I made this video with footage of Celebration I took. I've been watching it daily.

7. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012

I enjoyed that video, thanks for sharing!

MotivateR5D4 and Jedi Older Code like this.
  8. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks! Neat video!

MotivateR5D4 and Jedi Older Code like this.
  9. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I'd say I'm still on a high than feeling the blues. I still think back on everything I got to do this past weekend and just smile. My younger self would be so incredibly jealous of me.

Silas Tri and CaptainRegor like this.
  10. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014
    Really stinks we have to wait 2 years for the next one!

11. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I've got the blues and the high lol. It comes and goes. It almost feels like it was all surreal. I'm also planning some stuff for the next one: save more for a closer hotel since they are expensive but convenient, do all I can to try to snag some VIP badges cause the bigger these things get the crazier they become, and at the end of the day, maybe train to stand in line for the next two years lol

Also if they do time this with Star Wars Land, which seems very much what will happen... I think attendance will be even higher

Valency Jane likes this.
  12. Torz

Torz Jedi Knight

Aug 12, 2015
    You guys were right next to us when they were playing the cantina song at the end.

Jedi Older Code likes this.
  13. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014
    Ha! That's funny. Old Luke spinning in the background was gold. Honestly I didn't want to leave that area...

Torz and CaptainRegor like this.
  14. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Man, these videos blow me away -- I don't know how it was possible (I was there all four days), but there is so much I didn't see, just on the show floor, and we spent hours down there...

Anyway --

Ok -- nominees for most iconic cosplay for SWCO. That one costume that when you see it will always bring back memories of this year, specifically.

My nominee: the walking lightsaber. Seems like we saw her everywhere and every time we see her in a pic or video my wife and I just bust out laughing. We met her in the Mark Hamill photo op line on Saturday. Really terrific & friendly young lady.

Jedi Older Code and Padme501st like this.
  15. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014

Please tell me she was in costume to see Mark. If so that will make me happy.

16. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Of course :) She had most of it off while she was waiting in line, but put it on again just before going behind the curtain. It was hysterical. I think she posted pics of her with MH on one of the FB groups.

Padme501st likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I know a good way of dealing with these post Celebration blues is to just watch all the livestream stuff that you obviously didn't watch while it was happening because you were there. Even if you're not actively and intently watching it the whole time, just bring up a separate tab and have it on. Trust me, it will allow you to revisit everything and basically do the whole weekend all over again.

My off days are today and tomorrow, and that's pretty much all I plan on doing. I didn't leave Orlando until Monday afternoon, I had work yesterday, so this is basically my first chance to fully relax and recuperate from the weekend. What better way to do it than to relive SWCO by watching the live streams from each day.

And now that I think about it, I can't believe it's already been a week from when I first arrived in Orlando ready for it all to start.

Jedi Older Code and Padme501st like this.
  18. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014

Yeah I need to do that. There were panels I didn't get to make because of conflicting events.

Valency Jane and Padme501st like this.
  19. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    MotivateR5D4 isn't that crazy? A week ago right now you had already checked on the line and was planning on going back after lunch and I was at my hotel waiting on my friend to show up and watching all updates on the line so we could be in the live room for the panel. And here I am, spreadsheets and numbers galore.

I think I saw the 40th panel on the SW facebook page, I need to find it on youtube and download it so I'll always be able to look back even when they take it down (which they do sometimes)

I saw that lightsaber cosplay when she was in line for Hayden. It was definitely a very entertaining one. I really liked the Jawa holding BB-8 one, apparently she controls both the Jawa and BB-8 and sees out from a slit before BB-8's head or something like that. I literally thought it was a Jawa with a robotic BB-8 in a backpack but that's not the case.

Also the chef from the Holiday Special was cool to see and original in my opinion

Valency Jane likes this.
  20. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014

I'm no stranger to the con crud, either. This time, I started taking airborne a week before SWCO started, and made sure to wash my hands often. Seems to have paid off. But I probably just jinxed myself. I'll be diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday.

Padme501st likes this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Definitely. You described it precisely.

It was also interesting when I went back on Monday morning to ship some things out of the FedEx office there. How I started out roaming the convention center when it was all empty before it started, already a week ago now, and then ended it by roaming the convention center when it was empty after it was all over.

22. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014

That's depressing af...

23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Not as much as you would think. If anything, it brought closure. On Monday morning I was still feeling this pull to go there, like I was missing out on something, even though there was obviously nothing going on. So going there that final time kind of took away that feeling and brought it all full circle.

24. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014

I hear ya. You could try living in there. Like the Phantom of The Opera type of thing.

Valency Jane and Xinau like this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Umm...maybe? Kind of a weird suggestion.

Jedi Older Code likes this.