main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Why were the Cantina criminals on Jedha?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bob the X-Winger, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    It just came to me, nice as it was to show the partners in crime in RO stopping off in the ancient city before heading to Tatooine what where they doing there? Robbing the joint.

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Doing terrible, immoral surgeries on people. They are responsible for stuff like the decraniated.

BigAl6ft6 and CT1138 like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't it obvious?

They are the Senate.

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and Snafu55 like this.
  4. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

I just have to say i love the quote from Wedge

Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  5. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
  6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    You don't get the death sentence on 12 systems by hanging around the Tatooine bars.

BigAl6ft6, Daneira, MeBeJedi and 13 others like this.
  7. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Earning death sentences on different worlds takes a lot of frequent flyer miles.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "You just watch yourself! We have the death sentence on 12 systems. Well... technically, it is only 11, now..."

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Hitting all the top rated cantinas in the galaxy..

10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The canon reason is Dr. Evazan (the guy with the messed up nose) was performing illegal surgery on all those people walking around without the tops of their heads. He was basically turning them into mindless drone slaves.

I suspect the real reason is something like, A New Hope is Gareth Edward's favorite movie (not just his favorite Star Wars movie, he's called it his "favorite movie of all time") and he likes those characters, so he threw them in there for nostalgia's sake because when would he ever get a chance to film them again in his life?

12. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Brilliant answer.

Cantina Regular, Martoto77 and CT1138 like this.
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    In my mind, they were in the process of leaving Jedha when we see them, and they leave straight away - on their way to Tattooine. That's the only answer that makes any sense.

14. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Yeah like other folk have said. How on earth do people look askance at the notion of people being seeing on two different systems in the space of a few days, when the character they are referring to is introduced to us claiming to already have the death penalty on twelve systems?

I guess maybe if George Lucas gets a shot at making special editions he'll replace the dialogue that's in the film with Dr Evazan saying, something like "Hey. I'm just on my way to board a shuttle to go to Tatooine on the outer rim for. Inform the barman at the Mos Eisely cantina to prepare me a drink for my arrival." and then add shots of Dr Evazan entering a shuttle. The shuttle flying through space. The shuttle landing on Tatooine. And Dr Evazan leaving the shuttle. It's the only way to expect an audience to understand and accept a character being in two different locations at two different times.

15. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    He had a death sentence there and had to get out ASAP

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    They would've had to leave in a hurry for sure-I mean like, literally being on their way to a ship out of there, when they bumped into Jyn.

Maybe that's why he was so pissed at her bumping him: The atmosphere in Jedha City was clearly reaching a boiling point at that moment what with the increased imperial presence, leading up to Saw's fighter's attack. I'm sure those guys would not have been wanting to be stuck in the middle of all that and risk being exposed.

themoth and Sarge like this.
  17. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    In the Visual Guide it's heavily implied that Dr. Evazan was performing immoral experimental surgeries on war victims

BigAl6ft6, thejeditraitor and themoth like this.
  18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Because nostalgia.

SunnyNelson and Sarge like this.
  19. Smellmet

Smellmet Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2017
    This was the only cameo/easter egg I didn't care for in the film. Sure it was nice and nostalgic to see them again but there really was no justification for seeing them was there? They were just shoehorned in for the sake of it. That being said it was over in a couple of seconds and didn't spoil my enjoyment of the movie at all.

ZodaEX likes this.
  20. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Does it need justification?

21. Smellmet

Feb 16, 2017

Well... yeah, it does, otherwise you're just into winking at the audience territory. Were they integral to the plot in any way, shape or form? No. They were there just so the producers could go 'hey remember these guys?'

22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    There are lots of things on the screen at any one time that is not integral to the plot in any way shape or form. The fact that Dr Evazan and Ponda Baba are conspicuous to fans of ANH does not mean it requires justification.

Here's justification anyway. Jyn and Cassian are in a new location. The behaviours of Dr Evazan illustrate what kind of place Jedha can be to hang out in. i,e. hostile. It helps set the scene. It could have been any two reprobates.

The fact that it is those two adds another dimension which can be appreciated by series fans. The next time we see those two act like tough guys, a Jedi knight is going to sort them right out.

This notion that anything not absolutely necessary is improper is taking things too far. And it only matters to people who recognise them as who they are.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Smellmet

Feb 16, 2017
    I'm all for little nods and callbacks, but this just stuck out too much to me. It still made me smile though, so job done on the producers parts.

24. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Maybe Jedha was system 11 out of 12.... Honestly that's the RIGHT way to do nostalgia callbacks. The scene only lasted a few seconds, wasn't anything that would bother or confuse casual fans and wasn't really anything more than a quick easter egg. There's no de-mystification of the characters, no weird plot holes, etc. etc.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ Exactly. That's why it didn't bother me at all either. And if they're on their way to their ride off of Jedha when we see them, it makes perfect sense that they could survive the DS attack and be in the cantina on Tattooine when we get there later in ANH.