main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    gaarastar58 I don't think "Sword of the Night Sky" sounds pretentious. And I just don't think being pretentious is something anyone needs to worry about with a story title (as long as it isn't called "The Greatest Star Wars Story Ever Written" or something). I wouldn't worry about it.

The opening crawl sounds fine to me, but I don't feel like opening crawls are necessary most of the time. If you aren't excited about it and it's not necessary for readers to understand the story, I would consider leaving it off or using it as an opening summary of the story.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    When using characters numbering fifteen or so from a large cast of twenty in a kitchen sink sort of story, what does one do with maybe three characters who are huge in canon and one has little idea how to characterize/write stuff about? Make them all on vacation for the duration? Mentions only? [face_chicken] In a convenient soap opera coma? Amnesia? :p

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My titles tend to be the "does what it says on the tin" variety. I'm not that imaginative with my titles.

The only exception would be if I have heard the title of something else; or a phrase, and thought it would make a good title.

Sword of the Night Sky sounds like a great title.

I don't know what a 'kitchen sink' type means, but if there are any characters that you don't know how to characterise, definitely compartmentalise them away. They could be in the same base or star cruiser as your people, but you can have a character act as liaison, so that the three can be referenced, but not necessarily be visible.

Or yes, they can be on vacation; another mission; another planet, or working a different shift.

Whatever seems convenient to whatever their situation was, going into your story.

pronker likes this.
  4. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015

Hey, CIS: Miami was a pretty great title.

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Aw, thank you. :) Although,

could be argued that I had heard of CSI: Miami somewhere.

Snocone likes this.
  6. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

Eh, everything is derivative, if you think about it. May as well make a pun out of it.

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014

The Wookiee swords are called ryyk blades.
    If you have such a huge cast, I'd say keep them off-screen for any reason you can think of -- writing a scene/story with 15 characters is difficult enough as it is!

8. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    pronker, Snocone and divapilot like this.
  9. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

No, hold out! POV discipline is so important!

Kurisan and pronker like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Not always. Wim Wenders changes it like there's no tomorrow, e.g. in Faraway, So Close! and...err...he's Wim Wenders. :) Whenever the scenes are in colour, before Cassiel's transformation into a human being, it means that the character onscreen is interpreting the world around them. So, you have Michael Gorbachov musing on here and now, but also a six-year-old child.

pronker likes this.
  11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    http://changingminds.org/disciplines/storytelling/plots/classic/kitchen-sink.htm I ought to explain 'kitchen sink fic,' because it's a little like this link. Novel length, fifteen characters, about 3 subplots that all resolve at the end. The difference is that the setting includes a vacation to an exciting spot. And perhaps an explosion or three to make it American.[face_flag] Alsoalso, re the three characters who elude characterization, thanks for the suggestions Kurisan Sith-I-5 Snocone Ewok Poet and Chyntuck because one idea may be offscreen narrator,/framing device a la A Chorus Line, with as few lines as possible, ha. Not decided yet, though ... [face_tee_hee] Aaaaannyyyway, this thing is advancing glacially along ...

Wenders stage directing debut of the upcoming https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_pĂȘcheurs_de_perles in July sure sounds fascinating. It would be nice to see it online or something *gets wistful*

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oooo, hope it will be available somewhere, somehow!

Kurisan and pronker like this.
  13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep in touch!

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am fiddling with an idea for an crystalline planet* and I'm looking for some more inspiration; do people know of any non-SW planets with crystalline surfaces? Have any suggestions on how flora/fauna could look like? And/or suggestions on how primitive humans or other-people could live there?

* http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Crystalline_planets

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Jupiter could be a diamond underneath. Are you familiar with that theory? If not, search what's available for inspo. :)

Gamiel and pronker like this.
  16. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    The only one I can think of would be the planet featured in Midnight, an episode of Doctor Who. If you haven't seen it yet drop whatever you are doing and do so immediately, it's fantastic.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    For your last question, I expect you want a scenario where a visiting space-faring race cannot make profits from such a world.

I present worst case scenarios for your locals:
    - enslaved to mine the crystals;
    - moved offworld to allow the planet to be plundered;
    - blinded by the sunlight when it strikes the surface;
    - they might need a body composition that resists intense light and heat...y'know, if the planet is one big prism, it could re-direct energy to scorch one of its neighbours, and be a way to explain how Starkiller Base attracted sunlight.

Snocone and Gamiel like this.
  18. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

pronker, Sith-I-5 and Gamiel like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is the first time I have heard about it, will loke it up :)
    I know of Christophsis (it is listed in the link I posted :p)
    You mean Cynda*? It do seem to be a crystalline planetoid.

* http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cynda
    Sorry, I have not seen her in anything.
    Thanks for the suggestions :)

I was more thinking that crystalline planets like Christophsis don't seem to support lifeforms that humans (and most other species) can easily use for food/clothing/equipment/etc. and was wondering how to give them food/clothing/equipment/etc., beside eatable crystals and using the skin, hair and bone of their dead.

Thanks, will look it up :)

Kurisan and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    She's in the Poe Dameron comic book series. In addition to being a pilot, she's also a mechanic and is constantly tinkering with her X-wing to get it to max capability. That's the biggest thing about her. And in the comics, she follows orders and is cautious in assessing a situation. No romantic interests that anyone has seen. Dark hair, midlength, worn in a braid or ponytail; I don't know her eye color. Oh, and in the comics, they all fly for Black Squadron, not Blue Squadron, IDK...

Sith-I-5 and Gamiel like this.
  22. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

23. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    But not a coward! She doesn't back down from a fight & can hold her own. She doesn't seem to be one of the types to jump in headfirst and shout "Yee-haw!"

And yes, she does seem to be obsessed with her ship. And her astromech. This is a girl who really, really loves to fly!

Hope you post it when you're done!

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If you mean an actual hair-pulling, elbow in the face, fight, my insta-head canon was thinking, if she is that obsessive for Luke, that she fought with Rey for the right to go see him on Ach-to, once they had his stellar coordinates pinned down.

25. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Ewok Poet, Gamiel, Sith-I-5 and 2 others like this.