main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I imagine that in the remnant speciesism is similar to how it's shown in Thrawn. While not institutionalized any more, it's still definitely there.

2. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Indeed, just a plot device for the show. I take the Rebels plot details in general with a generous pinch of salt.

In this case (slightly tongue in cheek):

Story designer 1: Ooh, I want to set up the Bentu predicting Thrawn's defeat to him in person. This would really unsettle him.

Story designer 2: Yeah, but how do we get him on the planet?

Story designer 1: Easy, we just make him lead the ground assault, then he can see the Bendu's power first hand, too. Pryce can take over the ship, then we have a good excuse for letting the Ghost crew destroy the 2nd interdictor.

Story designer 2: Awesome, let's do it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ā‰ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also apologies for the double post, but because this is all well and truly off topic I'm going to split these posts into a thread called "Pellaeon and the Remnant" -- this is a good discussion, but it's beyond a tangent and worth a separate thread so we can focus on the Thrawn book.

You can keep replying for now, I'll handle the moving of the posts myself.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Rennzwerg likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm definitely curious as to what Zahn will do with the Chiss Ascendency in future books.

5. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
  6. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    It's probably asking too much from Rebels given it's limited budget and scope, but I would like it if we actually got more of the Chimaera's crew from this novel in the next season. Even a few from the older Legends stories wouldn't hurt.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, Thrawn would never rise to Grand Admiral if he didn't display incredible cruelty and ruthlessness.

This is just to pad his resume.

Jedi Ben and Vialco like this.
  8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I sometimes get the feeling that the actual Sherlock would make a more believable Imperial than the post-TTT version of Thrawn. Who is barely anything more than just a glorified list of qualities.
    That being said, Iā€™m still in the middle of the book, so it's still too soon for me to talk.

9. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Does the book tell us anything about the Chiss species/ascendancy beyond Thrawn?

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Just rewatched Thrawn's introduction scene in Steps into Shadow.
    When I first saw it, Kallus's remark about the civilian casualties seemed like a too-obvious telegraphing of his eventual treachery. now with the context of the book, it seems more like a common opinion held by the average decent Imperial. Pryce's defense, however, makes her seem more suspicious in this context. Thrawn is already suspicious that she was responsible for setting off the charges. Zahn's characterization of her is someone that carefully chooses her words for their manipulative political impact. I wonder why she was so quick to justify the casualties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    Hey has anyone mentioned this yet? I don't want to search

Has anyone thought that perhaps DelToro's character could be 'Ely'? Eli is in his mid 20's to late 20's by Ep4-->55-60 now -Del Toro's age currently. unless Ely comes back during the next Rebels season that ending felt like it was building upon something. By the time I figured out what Thrawn was doing I was trying to remember if a 'Commander Vantoe' was ever mentioned anywhere.. clearly we know why..but his military expertise would make a nice balance to the Crazy Ginger of the First Order

12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So this book debuted at #2 on the NYT bestsellers list, for any who might doubt the power of the Thrawn/Zahn combo.

I can also mention that every single appearance of Tim Zahn at Celebration, official panels and signings alike, were packed like sardine cans. He did four or five signings at the Del Ray and Barnes & Noble booths over the four days, and each one got mobbed hard. Even the ones after they ran out of actual books for him to sign and he was just signing posters and people's badges. People love him and they love that he's back.

Rennzwerg likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    See I was smart I brought my copy of HTTE with me when I saw him at NYCC (though that was mostly because they weren't handing out books at all, just posters). But yeah even there there was a decently sized line.

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm not, that's separate from the Starwars verse and story that it's just separate fiction with a Starwars label on it

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Under the newcanon system - anything that's published in the present-day (not counting Infinities stuff like Lego Star Wars), is now "part of the Star Wars-verse". Even Zahn novels.

16. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I don't think he's being 100% literal

Like technically it's "canon" that Dooku fought Obi-Wan and/or Anakin a dozen times during the TCW, but do you think most people really consider it "canon", when clearly the intention in ROTS was that it they haven't seen each other since AOTC?

17. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The Chiss Ascendancy are a perfect fine addition to the Star Wars mythology.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The same could be said of how "clearly it was intention in ANH that Anakin was murdered by Darth Vader". Things change - even live-action media is subject to retcons, and "intention" can be ignored.

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    To a point, yes, it can be ignored. But not always. Authorial intent does count for something in my eyes, so I ignore it only under certain circumstances. In this case, yes, the original clearly stated intent of the author was that they hadn't seen each other since AOTC. But then that same author had them fight several times in TCW. The author changed his own authorial intent.

I HATE it when that happens... ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Jedi Older Code likes this.
  21. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I listened to the begenning of the "Thrawn" audiobook. Ah, what a dissapointment, it's what I feared: Marc Thompson tried to imitate Lars Mikkelsen's voice of Rebels, so now I really dislike it. Too soft, too monotonous...A whole audiobook with that kind of voice, I wouldn't be able to listen to it :oops:

I really prefered his voice in the Heir to the Empire audiobook. Deeper and less boring.

And he gave Parck exactly the same voice as Pellaeon in the HTTE audiobook so it's disturbing.

22. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    I quite like it but Thrawn definitely sounds more sinister and scheming than I had pictured it in my head when reading the book.

And Parck's gruff voice is far older than I had in mind, too (but then canon Parck has a different role to play tgan Legends Parck).

I do like Eli's voice, though. I read a couple of reviews who disliked it as being too much of a "dumb southern" accent which I found was a hilariously prejudiced opinion given that both Eli & Thrawn have to persevere against bias throughout the book...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Daneira likes this.
  23. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016

Yeah not really what I was trying to say. It's not so much the original intent itself but more so that new "canon" (ie. that the fought a dozen times during TCW) makes no sense and directly conflicts with the characters/story-telling of the entire film, and is (in this case) really, really stupid.

Basically what I'm saying is that just because something is technically "canon", doesn't mean that you have to acknowledge it's existence. And a lot of things that are "canon" are actually really stupid and make no sense.

edit: and no, I'm not saying or implying that anyone who disagrees that that particular piece of canon is stupid is "wrong" or that people shouldn't have different opinions. I was just using it as an example.

24. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

In the HTTE audiobook, Thrawn's voice is still cultivated, but deeper, and has more "authority" in it, while I just CAN'T imagine a soft voice like the one he has in Rebels/new Thrawn audiobook having such a weight of authority in it. It sounds too soft and even a bit creepy and it's not what I have in mind when I read any book about Thrawn.

So if I try to make a headcanon about these voices, I try to convince myself that when he uses his soft voice, it's because he tries to be more polite/accepted in the hierarchy, but in HTTE he can use his "real" manlier/intimidating voice because he is the leader and can show his true self without trying to be polite and soft with everyone.

And if you listen to Pellaeon's voice in the audiobook of HHTE, you'll see it's exactly the same voice as his Parck from Thrawn. It suits better to Pellaeon who is older.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ā‰ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm. Are there audiobook samples out there? I'm really curious about this voice difference now.

To Audible I go!