main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The "complete" Bluray box sets

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Sith Saber, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    I have the version with Luke and young Anakin on Tatooine on the cover, but I've seen a version with Darth Vader on the cover which seems to be a few years newer. Does the Darth Vader version have anything new?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No. All current Blu-Ray editions are the same films with the same content.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Did they remove the Fox Fanfare from the newer versions?

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think so.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  5. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    I've heard they did. Haven't bought the newer versions though.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Fox still has the home video distribution rights, so the current DVD and Blu-ray releases all have the Fox intro. Only the digital releases have it removed, with the exception of ANH of course.

Zejo the Jedi and ZodaEX like this.
  7. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    Ok, good to know. I would miss that.

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Ok this is good to know. I still don't have the Blu Rays of the main 6 film saga. I have also seen the set with Vader on the front.

9. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I did a 1-6 marathon last night, and I must say the OT needs a new transfer. Its too bad this wasn't done when these blu rays were released in 2011. I wonder what the chances are of this happening anytime soon. A 4k scanning would also be nice.

10. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I agree - honestly some of the work Lucasfilm has done on the recent versions of the OT is not up to par. The guy doing SW despecialized has illustrated this pretty well

https://plus.google.com/photos/109609428403596349302/albums/5932164278535972945

11. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Anyone have any issues with their discs skipping after time, perhaps from overuse? I've had my set for years (Anakin/Luke cover) and absolutely love it, but in the last year or so my copies of TOM and RotS have begun to freeze and skip (two scenes consistently in TPM, and one in RotS), rendering the movies essentially unwatchable. I've never had this happen with any other Blu-rays in my collection.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    My experience is that the more you use a disc the more likely things are going to happen to it as opposed to little used ones. That also can happen depending on your player. Some players have or develop more problems with discs. The player might need a software update.

It's been done years ago. They did 4K restorations (of IV-VI presumably).

I get the opposite view from those pictures. It shows how much better they are than the original versions by far.

Darkslayer and Alexrd like this.
  13. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

That's not the point, it's not that the originals were in great shape - it's that they messed up a lot of the lighting and color grading when they did the transfer. A lot of it is just sloppy work

Another good example of how bad some of the color correction is:

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Neverars-1080p-Star-Wars-Color-Correction/id/16256

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/195958

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/175224

DarthCricketer likes this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it isn't. The movie was color corrected the way the artist wants. Just because you don't like the new color grading doesn't make it messed up or sloppy work.

Darkslayer and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Oh yes, the Sandcrawler was always intended to have purple splotches on it, and Uncle Owens hair was always meant to be magenta. Lucas just didn't have the technology to do it at the time. How silly of us. :oops:

16. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Sigh it's just not just the look of the color grading; there have been clearly introduced mistakes (unless you think purple skin and streaks of blue on white clothing is intentional) as a result of it. There's also quite a bit of color inconsistency now that wasn't there before. (this is mostly all referring to ANH). I really do honestly think some of the ANH work at least lacked attention to detail (Interestingly enough, several scenes fans complained about in the 2004 release were cleaned up/modified in the 2011 release - seems like a tacit acknowledgement of subpar work)

BTW - I'm not opposed to all the color timing changes. The slight color timing changes for Hoth in TESB really improved the visibility of the speeders against the snow on Hoth.

More good reading.

http://www.hdvision-mag.com/2011/09/star-wars-week-part-1.html

These types of issues aren't limited to Star Wars films by any stretch:

http://notonbluray.com/blog/orange-and-teal/

Yes, exactly

DarthCricketer and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  17. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    edit: Double post

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But it is. That's what color grading is for.

No, it means minor problems were corrected. Nothing related to color grading decisions.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

That's not true, several lightsaber issues caused by the color timing had to be corrected (some more successfully than others). Or maybe it was just "an artistic decision" to make Anakin's blue lightsaber from ROTS into a green lightsaber in ANH.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    This comes down to Lucas obviously not being as precious about the same things that other people want him to be.

It's an odd thing to me that on the one hand the same people who go on about what is important to them is paramount but what is important to Lucas is not.

So when something isn't the way they like it then it's sloppy work but when it is the way they like it then it's not.

Lucas oversaw the color timing of the movies and saw the movies time and again. For the Frames book he literally look at every frame:

After George Lucas finished work on Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, he wanted to look back on the Star Wars saga with an entirely new point of view: isolating stills, or frames, from each of the six Star Wars films, focusing on them intensely as works of photography and design, and reproducing them in a book. For two years Lucas went through more than 150,000 frames per film, editing more than 1 million frames down to the 1,416 images that now comprise Star Wars: Frames, a testament to the hard work, craftsmanship, and dedication evident in every frame of every film.

So obviously what is important to some is not the same for Lucas. It could be as simple as perceived "errors" simply didn't matter to him. On the other hand over the releases he added or changed things for the HD versions.

I don't know all the in's and out's of how things flow downstream from Lucas. Maybe on the screens that Lucas watches the movies on at the Skywalker Ranch theaters is so amazing that what he sees and what ends up on the home releases shifts just enough on some of these Lightsaber shots?

It's like I said though the same people who get upset at Luke's Lightsaber not being correct then argue that Vader and Obi-Wan's should not be corrected. The original "sloppy work" doesn't bother them at all.

[face_dunno]

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Martin Scorsese : "....Even Star Wars! George shot it as if the colour had faded because (due to the poor quality of colour film stock in the late seventies) it was going to fade in about six months anyway. So when you watch it, notice that the whites are akready a little pink. That way it doesn't look too different when it goes."

22. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    That must only be available with the digital download versions then. Interesting. I didnt know that. Has anyone here seen both the blu rays and digital download versions? Can you tell a real difference?

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    No 4K versions have been released.

TPM should also have gotten a 4K restoration, BTW. AOTC and ROTS were shot in 4K, right?

24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016

I don't think AOTC was shot in 4K.

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Ah. Too bad.

Well, I do hope they given all episodes a 4K treatment (except ROTS).