main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to The Last Jedi - The Rebel Files by Daniel Wallace (Canon too!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Apr 17, 2017.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    He didn't say that. Just if Bel Iblis is going to become a canon character, I would think that fans of his would agree with Lucasfilm, his premiere should be in an actual story, not a history book.

Darkslayer and JediBatman like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes I've heard that old saw about Bel Iblis, too.

WebLurker, BobaMatt, jSarek and 6 others like this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I see what you did there.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    This reminds me of how Pablo used the Telaris system in the RO Visual Guide. In the old WEG Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Telaris was mentioned as the system where Ackbar took command of the Rebel Fleet. So Pablo extrapolated that Telaris was an important system, deciding ultimately that it would be sorta like the "arsenal of the Rebellion", where Mon Cala cruisers were retrofitted for combat.

It's these kinda things I love. Weaving old sources into the new canon, making fun connections, and enriching the universe. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Saw and Garm are actually fairly distinct - which is, I assume, a big part of the reason for why Dan and everybody else can't bring the latter back the way they can some more minor character. He doesn't fit, AFAWK, into the canon history of the Rebellion.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I suspect the Han Solo movie is at fault there as well... not that it necessarily will use Corellia, but if it does, it might go down the rabbit hole of Corellian history/politics/rebellion/etc that was a huge part of the old EU and Bel Iblis's backstory.

vncredleader likes this.
  7. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017

Yeah, I know. Just a litle sad that we won't be reading about this iconic character on a Rebel Alliance book =((

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I am fine if it goes into all that stuff. even without Garm I want to see my beloved Corellia dang it!! I wish I could buy a Corellian flag. i would wear it to the Han film a la
    [​IMG]

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Here's the Corellian flag.

[​IMG]

Because you know, they don't care for odds.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Dan Wallace

Any chance this new guide sheds some light on Ackbar's rise to fleet commander following the loss of Raddus?

--Adm. Nick

11. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Dan Wallace

Will we learn more about Cassian Andor and the Fulcrum program?

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    There is still a lot of unexplored time between Rebels and R1 for Garm to appear.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I wonder if they'll do listing for squadrons at Scarif, Yavin, Hoth or Endor and who survived. I doubt it but it'd be nice.

Maybe Daniel Wallace is open to that (and Pablo Hidalgo and Jason Fry?).

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Personally, I'm really hoping we'll see some information on the following in this guide:
    • Declaration of the Rebellion
    • Clearer idea of who the founders of the Alliance are (outside of Bail, Mon, Saw, etc)
    • Info on the secret Rebel shipyards in the Telaris system
    • Some sort of Corellian connection to the Alliance
    • Info on the Dorneans
    • How Ackbar became commander of the fleet after Raddus's death
    What about you guys? What do you hope to see?

--Adm. Nick

15. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Both Ackbar and Raddus have bits in this, but since the book's entire narrative history is told through in-universe documents, some of the Rebel Alliance backstory is relayed in a between-the-lines sort of way. If that makes sense. There's a decent amount of ambiguity here and there, but hopefully there's still plenty of flavor.

Cassian is in a few parts, Ahsoka too.

The problem with things like this is that they have narrative implications. Listing the squadrons (not to mention the survivors) would be a semi-definitive "these guys are in, these guys are out," and Lucasfilm tries to err in favor of open-ended story possibilities.

They used to allow for more definitive fact-based stats--I'm thinking of the prequel cross-section books for example--but honestly in some ways those ended up causing as many problems as they solved.

revan772, WebLurker, Old Rex and 4 others like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Senators in fancy outfits.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Vthuil and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ooh, I forgot this was told through in-universe documents. I really like that, plus I totally get your point that the narrative and other details pops up organically via these documents (directly or indirectly).

Have you seen any of the art for the book yet?

--Adm. Nck

18. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998

Not yet, but looking forward to it. Am anticipating some interesting graphical treatments for in-universe documents, and I intentionally tried to use several different recurring doc styles (top-secret Alliance memos are common, news clippings less common, some types of docs are unique) so there was visual variety but not so much that it looked like a random hodgepodge.

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Nice touch! I'm a big fan of recurring in-universe docs, something I loved about WEG. It's those little details that make the universe feel more real and lived in/used, which is part of SW's charm for a lot of us!

Does the book just go through ROTJ, or does it touch at all on the first year of the New Republic between Endor & Jakku?

Also- I'm stoked that Mon Mothma is such a part of this book. Her emergence in the new canon has been awesome, it's about time such an important character in-universe gets her time in the spotlight. :)

--Adm. Nick

20. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998

It goes right up to ROTJ, which is part of the in-universe conceit behind the whole project (which will make more sense once you have a chance to read it).

Mon Mothma does indeed have a prominent role in this, which is something I really enjoyed. I really tried to get to a point where I felt like I fundamentally "got" Mon Mothma as a person before I did anything else, and hopefully that comes through in the final product.

21. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    Is this supposed to actually have specific connections to TLJ or are they just slapping the label on anything coming out in the second half of this year?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Yes but those records were burned when Hosnian was destroyed so we just have a bunch of charred pages at the end.*

*just in case, this is a joke :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There is definitely a depth to the character that the old EU missed on (with a few exceptions). Seeing Mon Mothma develop in the new canon has been a joy.

Any chance you guys touch on the state of Mon Cala between 0-4 ABY? In the old EU, it was liberated and Rebel territory by 1 ABY. In the new canon, we know that it was still occupied as of Rogue One. I'm hoping for some Mon Cala and Telaris references for sure. :)

--Adm. Nick

24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Funny, I got the "holding a document in your hands" feel from Rey's Survival Guide the most. I'd actually rank that one to be my favorites of the Jedi/Sith/Bounty Hunters/Imperial/etc. guides-like books. I'm probably biased, given that Rey is one of my favorite Star Wars characters, but I think the idea that "the character wrote the book" made it feel more important and personalized than "the characters annotated this textbook the happened to have." Not only were we getting factual info, but we were also getting into the character's head a bit, which the other ones didn't quite do.

Dan Wallace, looking forward to this release, given that I liked the other books in the "series" in general (of the pre-Disney ones, I think the Sith one you did was the best in terms of content presentation and design values), and have found your Star Wars reference books to be enjoyable reads.

The (admittedly very nice-looking) fancy boxed set with the Death Star thing looks like it'll be on the spendy side for Star Wars collectors on a budget. Are there plans to sell the book by itself like they did with the other ones?

25. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017

Both Mon Mothma and Bail Organa were criminally under-explored characters in Legends. It's nice to see them getting more exposure this time around.