main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Vehicles/Tech in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, May 17, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    SW spaceship interiors often have weird scaling (Millennium Falcon springs to mind).

An alternative way to estimate the size of the Tantive III (discarding the assumption that the hammerheads on both Tantives are the same size) could be to use Grievous's ship docking with it.

It's 6.71 m long:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Soulless_One

and fits into the underbelly docking bay:

https://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-2005/59/

The image of the Tantive III arriving on Alderaan may also help:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...lderaan.png/revision/latest?cb=20130202022304
    Given that they are using Incredible Cross Sections:

it seems likely that the Rogue One Tantive IV will match up fairly well to the ICS Tantive IV.

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord wrote

It seems likely that the Rogue One Tantive IV will match up fairly well to the ICS Tantive IV.

Unfortunately (I can already give you that answer because my studies are finished and I now 'just' need to embellish the drawings) it doesn't, i.e. the port side hallway (in the port side reactor) featured in ICS is WAY too short. Even at 148.8 meters (that's the minimal length for the Tantive IV I arrived at) the hallway (based on the known film set dimensions) would not start to make the 'L-turn' before it has reached the starboard cylinder, i.e. the hallway's 'L-turn' would lead outside the ship!

I will address the ICS cutaway drawing in my upcoming article in detail.

Regarding the Alderaan Cruiser Tantive III please belay my 236 meters figure I arrived at based on the ROTS film set. That number is only accurate, assuming the cockpit of the Tantive III is in the center of the hammerhead. If it's further to the right / starboard, then the length of the Tantive III would be less.

Simply put: Daddy is probably driving a British variation of that ship (with the 'steering wheel' on the right side) while his daughter is driving an international version (with the 'steering wheel' on the left side, going by the location of the cockpit door on the OT VFX model, i.e. towards the port side). ;)

3. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Given the lack of reactions to my rationalization, I don't know whether everybody who read it agrees or shakes his or her head in disbelief, thinking I lost all my marbles. :p

So here is the corresponding text part from my upcoming article where I examine all the exterior hatches (or structures that might suggest any of those) on the original VFX model of the Tantive IV:

"Access option E: A hatch located at the stern in between the middle propulsion engines
    Apparently, this is a new proposal brought forward by Gareth Edwards and/or John Knoll in Rogue One, unorthodox at first sight but rather appealing the more I think about it: In the film we see Vader just standing outside the ship’s hallway killing another Rebel crew member as the hatch door slams shut, followed by the crewman “G.E.” pulling a mechanical lever that makes the clamps of Admiral Raddus’ Profundity release this *cough* Corellian Corvette, which goes into a freefall dive (as its Tibanna gas ‘pushes’ against the mass of the Profundity), and next we see Vader standing on the mechanism (that used to extract or retract the gangway that’s missing now) looking at the stern of the escaping Alliance ship. Unless the Dark Lord performed a Jedi Sith jump from one part of the bay to another, I don’t think there is any plausible rationalization other than that the Corellian Corvette, still docked to the Profundity’s gangway, took parts of that with it when the clamps released the Blockade Runner"

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    They showed a picture of ILM's Ghost model during today's Animation panel at Celebration

[​IMG]

5. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I mentioned this in your excellent thread on the ISD bridge that I can't wrap my head around the corridor outside the cockpit of Tantive IV or where the Rebel soldiers are running to in Rogue One when they're running past the cockpit. The hammerhead is only about ~24 meters wide.

As far as the airlock is concerned, I think there's some evidence that Vader doesn't close in on the aft of the ship, but the side: Look at the clamps holding the Tantive IV and their position to Vader. But I'm looking forward to the next article!

6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Look again, the clamps are holding the 'ridge' of that Corellian Corvette, although faintly visible you can see the com-scan antenna that's sitting on the top side cylinder between the midship and the engine section on the right. The first parts of the article on the Tantive IV as seen in ANH (and Rogue One) just went online in the CT section: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...r-tantive-iv-unveiled.50045075/#post-54271797 ;)

Mange likes this.
  7. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, I know where the clamps are holding the ship, it's their position after the ship launches and Vader arrives only to watch it speed away, that I found interesting (but it still quite doesn't work).

8. popit123doe

popit123doe Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2017
    So I was reading the Star Wars Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide book that I own, and I noticed that the Sniper-Configured A-300 and A310 blasters looked virtually the same. I checked Wookieepedia for any differences, and there didn't seem to be any. This made me wonder if they were just the same weapon, but with different names, or if there is a difference between the two. Does anybody know?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A310_rifle
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A-300_blaster_rifle

vncredleader likes this.
  9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Moved and merged threads.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  10. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I didn't notice the T.I.E. Reaper on the Ring of Kafrene until they duscussed it on the bonus content on Blu-Ray. Pretty awesome ship.

11. Beskad

Beskad Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2017
    It is indeed. i always enjoy seeing the "boot's" perspective of ships and such. The Sentinel-class stormtrooper shuttle that was added into the special edition ANH is alright, but the Reaper really does look neat. Whereas the Sentinel-class can land about a couple platoon's worth of soldiers, plus support equipment, it looks like the Reaper is more oriented toward smaller team insertions. Like a Chinook vs a Little Bird.

I'm interested in more information on the reaper.

Sarge likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    TIE Reaper | Wookieepedia | Fandom powered by Wikia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    thejeditraitor and Sarge like this.
  14. Beskad

Beskad Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2017
    Nice pic. its still hard to judge the scale because the perspective could shift the position of the TIE Strikers, but I'm sure eventually more about it will come out.

EHT and thejeditraitor like this.
  15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the bottom.

[​IMG]

Gigoran Monk, EHT and vncredleader like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Open question: has anybody noticed if any Y-wings ever fired a shot with their top turrets? If so, I haven't spotted it (except in TCW animated, but I want live action).

Snafu55 likes this.
  17. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The explanation from the OEU that I remember is that the turret guns were ion cannons that required a special crystal that was very fragile, so only about two of the Y-wings on Yaivn had operational turrets.

18. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    One of the things I really enjoyed about Rogue One was how much cooler it made the Death Star. I particularly loved the views of it from the perspective of Scarif at the end

19. Beskad

Beskad Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2017
    yep, the crystals get misaligned after several flights and the techs dont always get to repair them.

Y-wings are probably my favorite and i was pretty excited when i saw a few of them on Eadu and i was 100% stoked when Gold Leader reported that Gold Squadron was standing by. The X-wing is so much of the 'face' of star wars that i was afraid the homely workhorse of the rebellion was going to get left out.
    One thing i did see, though, was Y-wings actually dropping bombs. I always took that as a game invention that became a mainstream thing, when since being a kid i always looked to the ICS book for guidance, which just shows it having a large torpedo magazine. I'd assumed to carry bombs it would just equip a different sort of weapon rack in the weapons bay, similar to a B1-B Lancer does, but i need to check the frames of the movie and see where the bombs are actually dropping from.

Sarge and Hyrum_Solo like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The TCW Y-Wings were the very first - the lead Y-wing here:

carries a large, externally mounted bomb.

For a better image, there's the link:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...omb_run.png/revision/latest?cb=20120911231351

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I just realized that I love the sound of Krennic's shuttle!

Gigoran Monk and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yup. Great sound and visual design in this film. Best since TESB.

Lulu Mars and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  23. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    I loved the ion torpedoes, it brought me back to playing Empire at War. Though I found it odd the Rebel capital ships don't seem to use their weapons at all.

24. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I did think that in general it was nice to show more of the "nuts and bolts" of the Imperial machine. In the OT afterall we only really saw the cream of the Empire's armed forces where designs were naturally more intimidating, designs like the freighter and the transport/hover tank were aimed more at manual tasks so being that bit bulkier and less sleek worked very well for me.

DaddlerTheDalek and Sarge like this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Sorry I never saw this before, I posted somewhere else, but I can't remember where, that this is likely a mistake by Pablo Hidalgo. Both weapons are identical as they are the same prop or one of the many that were built. I'm theorizing, but i'd guess that the A300 is meant to be the one without the air cooled barrel shroud and A310 has the barrel shroud.