main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    You mean, Luke and Leia will flirt with each other in the comic?

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh nice we are getting some backstory and focus for Jess!!!

Kylun likes this.
  3. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Phil Noto is so effing good.

BigAl6ft6, Kylun and vncredleader like this.
  4. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I just realized that it would be not that bad if Star Wars #33 is the new "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", because it could be even worse.

5. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Well at the time star wars is taking place they don't know they're related and there is clearly some attraction between them in the first two films so it would be weirder to ignore this in the comic.

Jedi Princess and Darth_Voider like this.
  6. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Maybe they will somehow explain Leia's ROTJ statement that Leia always felt Luke was her brother. Of course she can't say it out loud in this comic, but still....

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    In my opinion they are all great stories, so if you're interested in the early post-ROTS period and in Vader hunting Jedi, they are well worth reading :)

Kylun and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    this is going to be an interesting issue. dude kinda looks like Lord Hoth and Rahm Kota.

PimpBacca likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, let's see, you appear to have joined after the Great Reboot, when all of those got junked, so yeah, you may well not have heard much of them. Despite that, I'd say they're still well worth looking at:

Books:
    • Dark Lord is Vader post-ep 3
    • Coruscant Nights is one of the best uses of Vader, all 4 books of it
    Comics:
    • Dark Times is quite low-key.
    • Purge: Tyrant's Test really expands on the idea of what hunting down the Jedi means
    • Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison is excellent.
    Of the two groups, the books are likely easier to obtain.

vncredleader, Kylun and spicer like this.
  10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Purge: The Tyrant's Fist is fantastic, it shows how Vader dealt with surviving Jedi in a rather...unconventional way. It really stands out from the rest, and is written by Alexander Freed. You might be familiar with that author as he also wrote the Rogue One novelization and Battlefront: Twilight Company.

The comics shouldn't be difficult to obtain now, as all of the aforementioned are collected in the Legends Epic Collections: The Empire volumes 1-3 by Marvel.

vncredleader and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks Spicer, as I already own the material I haven't kept an eye on the Epic editions.

spicer likes this.
  12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I own all of those comics as originally published by Dark Horse too, and thus I don't have the Epic collections. But I am aware of the re-releases if only to suggest them to new readers. I'm sure you know my obsession with Dark Times, so I gotta "preach the word" :p

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Man Dark Times was an awesome series and the heck with new canon. This stuff still counts in my book. Heck even the clone wars from legends still counts. TCW I still an incomplete series.

14. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I've been out of reading the comics for years now since KotOR and Legacy ended, what's good? I'd like to read some trade paperbacks.

15. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    The Darth Vader series is generally rated very highly, so you may want to start with that and the main Star Wars series. These also have a cross over story starting around issue 13 called Vader Down.

Personally I think most of the stuff we've had has been pretty good so perhaps just pick a character you like and go from there?

16. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    The truth has been spoken ^:)^

Since KOTOR and Legacy? Well, there are quite a few great series I can recommend. Starting with stories considered Legends, I recommend Dark Times (surprise surprise), Knight Errant, Legacy: War (in case you haven't read the finale to Legacy volume 1), Legacy volume 2, KOTOR: War (if you haven't read that one), Agent of the Empire, Dawn of the Jedi, Darth Vader and the Lost Command, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison and Purge: The Tyrants Fist. From the comics that are considered canon, I recommend Lando (a must read!), Darth Vader, Obi-Wan&Anakin and Kanan. Darth Maul and Doctor Aphra have only a handful of issues published so far and thus they aren't complete, but if you don't mind that I think they are worth checking out. So far all issues of Darth Maul and Doctor Aphra have been very good.

Kylun and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Except for all the other Vader hunts Jedi stories...And this was something people were yearning for in '77?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  18. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    spicer- it just is. Those stories are very good. Even the KOTOR and Legacy. Boy I love Legacy 1 and II. You can give me all these new canon stories, absolutely, keep them coming. But you can bet your hush puppies that I am in no way throwing out what came before. I know at times I may say something to the effect that this is how it is and that's how Disney star wars will be. But, and a big but, for me The Death Star novel is just as good at The Force Unleashed as the Rogue One.

spicer likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, Poe Dameron isn't cancelled, nice! (I thought it was a goner with the annoucement of the Darth Vader series) Seems like an odd idea if they had canned a ST era book in the run up to Last Jedi. Although I hope that they eventually find Lor San Tekka by the time Last Jedi comes out.

20. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Will be interesting to see how long the Poe series lasts. They must be planning on increasing their slate if they have no plans to end it at this time. We will have four ongoings going on once the Vader comic starts plus you know we will likely get an additional ongoing once TLJ comes out exploring some of the reveals that that movie had.

Drewton the Vader comic is generally considered by many to be the best. The Star Wars line is mainly a big 3 adventure story so it is really good if you are a big fan of seeing the big 3 go on adventures together but might get bored with it if you are someone who is a little tired of that tried and true plotline.

The Kanan series is highly praised as well but you might need to be somewhat familiar with the Rebels tv show to be really into that.

The Aphra series is just starting out and is receiving a lot of praise but you might want to read the Vader line prior to getting into that (as she is a brand new character introduced in the Vader series).

Poe is good but it is a little handcuffed right now due to them not really able to go past TFA just yet.

Think those are all the ongoings we have had so far. The mini's have a real varied feedback range but in general a lot of people liked the Lando series.

21. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I see no reason on their side not to put out more Star Wars titles, especially since Star Wars seems to be outselling all of their superhero stories nowadays.

Darkslayer and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    With X-Men back I wonder if that will last. Then again a lot of those creative teams are pulverizing

23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Just a caution on the Darth Vader series, it seeps into weirdness quite a lot. Some of the designs are silly too.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  24. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah, that's one good tid bit there that hasn't been talked a lot about. Since Jan 2015, Marvel star wars has not been a joke at all. I'm talking about everything from their on-going series to their mini's and even the comic adaptions. They have all done extremely well, and have taken it to the super hero line to an extent. In fact, almost all the star wars comic books so far have posted in the top 60. That's a very impressive feat if you ask me for a movie license.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So does anyone have a list of the planned comics to be released this year?