main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin Skywalker MEGAthread - Don't talk to him about sand, it makes him uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tonyg, Feb 16, 2016.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Interestingly though, it's only Padme who recognises him instantly, without a moments hesitation. Both 3PO and Watto think they're talking to a stranger at first.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

And Anakin has to do something a little dorky and weird first with that pit droid eye before Watto realizes it really is him.

Which, by the way, seems to be a "rhyme", of sorts, with Jar Jar staring into that pit droid's eye when Anakin and Padme first meet in Watto's shop.

And might as well throw ROTS in to make this a trinity: "Artoo, hit the buzz droid's center eye."

Stanza maps:
    Reflection, reflection, electrocution.
    Self-awareness, self-awareness, disintegration/denial.

Or for the "colours" of the characters looking/zapping:
    Orange, blue, blue.

Or for their constitution:
    Banished watery digital creature with spindly arms, near-destitute watery digital creature with spindly arms, inviolable trash-can capsule-droid hero-narrator thing.

Also a subtext of sorts (no pun necessarily intended) about the "vision" of characters on the fringes of "civilization" versus those at the heart of it.

- Jar Jar, an outcast outlander (doubly banished), seeing himself in a pit droid's eye in a junkshop on an Outer Rim world.
    - Watto, junkshop/slave owner, who has clearly had better days, seeing himself in a broken-down (beheaded!) pit droid's eye.
    - Artoo destroying a "rival" gizmo-droid's eye in a war zone, at the instruction of "civilized" Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, in a battle over the Republic's capital.

And might as well add that Jar Jar is instructed by Anakin to "hit the nose" in order to deactivate the accidentally-activated pit droid and put it back to sleep.

Here, as always, is everything I love about Star Wars in a little, and partially self-constructed (autopoeisis via allopoeisis), meta-motif.

Shaak Ti, Andy Wylde and darkspine10 like this.
  3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Exactly :) Watto is sure when Anakin fixes the droid. C3P0 had to calculated it first, if I van say so. :)

4. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

She has good powers of perception. "Hearing" Anakin having another nightmare on Naboo, seeing the clones descend from the sky on Geonosis.

Tonyg likes this.
  5. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    And you guys know my endless fascination with 3P0's human slang terms in the factory & arena scenes. ;)

I love how their droids' AI are so developed that they can recognize a young being whom they haven't seen in many years after they've grown up. At least in 3P0's case. Though, that might have also been due to deduction, much like with Watto.

But most of all, while on people recognizing Ani, let's not forget the most important one, Shmi.

Cryogenic and Tonyg like this.
  6. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Indeed! People recognize the others after so long time if they care about them. As was Padme in the mentioned scene and of course Shmi later in the movie but for me it was more than natural, every loving mother would recognize her son and Shmi was exceptional mother.

Cryogenic likes this.
  7. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

The mother also expressly says how handsome her son has grown, while Padme is slightly more coy about it.

I love women. :D

But anyway, maybe I never noticed how many times a person re-recognises Anakin in Ep. II before.

Let's not forget my buddy Jar Jar here! He is pretty fast with the recognition, too.

Anakin spends a lot of time getting recognized in II, while he is slighted in III and tries to hide his face later on.

The last time he is "open" with Padme, or about to give Obi-Wan a big Dark Side Force kiss, things go a bit awry.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    And in TPM we have; who recognizes Anakin as a someone with promising potential or just sees him as dangerous?

Master Qui-Gon was willing to take a gamble on Anakin's abilities and potential.
    His undying faith in the boy is mirrored with Ani & Padme's own boy, Luke.

Andy Wylde, Tonyg and Cryogenic like this.
  9. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    There is a subtle but overlooked disposition of Anakin after he had been commended about his gifted abilites and one day become more powerful than master Yoda and just after Palpatine tells Anakin that he needs no guidance.

Ihereby remark that this is subjective and not from official commentary or anything. Here goes:

Anakin despite expressing his admiration for Obi Wan, He says this : “Don’t get me wrong. Obi Wan is a great mentor. Wise as Master Yoda and as Powerful as Master Windu…” The floating ball (and that too) abstractly rising and curving lands back on Anakin’s hand. It is to me astounding but unconsciously perhaps, stating a future that he will be able to control his destiny any way he wants despite his superiors as he controls the sphere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice All three Jedi, Obi Wan, Yoda and Mace are mentioned in one fell swoop! Infact he lambasts Obi Wan telling Padme he’s too frustrated with him and ahead of him. Anakin here shows he’s not going to be a student for long and none of the mentioned will stop him. In reality the greatest Trials and Tribulations are lurking and hidden from sight. Way beyond even Anakin’s imagination and his superiors for that matter.

MJ

10. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    Do you think if Obi Wan opened up about his relationship and feelings for Siri Tachi or Satine Kryze You guys choice will Anakin opened up about his relationship and feelings for Padmé

Cryogenic and Mostly Handless like this.
  11. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    There is an episode of The Clone Wars, where Obi-Wan does confide in Anakin the feelings he had for Satine, in the context of Anakin's behavior towards Senator Amidala, in hopes of discovering more about the feelings Anakin may be harboring for her.

Cryogenic and Mostly Handless like this.
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    "Have faith my love. Everything will soon be set right."

Check that scene out and that line in particular. Hayden is severely underrated as Anakin. He gave him a creepy quality that works.

13. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I always believed that Obi-Wan Kenobi had figured out what was going on between those two, and simply chose to pretend as if he didn’t know in order to protect his friend. This pretty much confirms it.

14. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Its hard not to empathise with Obi-wan, he aims to keep his friend and Protégé in the Order where Obi-wan can guide and protect him, but he knows that if Anakin opens up to him fully, he may have suspicions confirmed that would compromise his own conscience.

Cryogenic likes this.
  15. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    You're full of the sneakiest, wisest, most penetrating, profound observations, MarcJordan! That is great; super, super great. I can't believe I never quite noticed that connection before. The Palpatine scene definitely inflects this little bit of waywardness that suddenly shows up in Anakin in his very next scene. I see it now! Fantastic!!!

Wow. You know... wow! There is so much embedded in that little moment; but I perhaps never looked it at in so totalizing a way as you've just articulated. If the sphere in Star Wars represents an abstract form of total control, or the illusion of such, then there is suddenly a great deal more meaning in Anakin "idly" commanding a little ball and then "gripping" it with his hand as it floats back within his grasp; and all in front of Padme, no less.

I guess there is an echo with "Lawrence of Arabia", when Lawrence, who we are just being acquainted with before he goes off on his marvellous (or not-so-marvellous) desert adventure first puts out a match in front of lower officers with his bare hand ("The trick is not minding that it hurts"), and then blows one out in front of Dryden, his superior: "No, Dryden, it's going to be fun".

David Lean's epic film is visually quoted later in AOTC when Anakin and Padme move through that colonnaded area on their way to see the new Queen; which is the "Cairo" part of "Lawrence of Arabia" and marks the film's intermission: "I've got orders to obey, thank God. Not like that poor devil. He's riding the whirlwind"; "Let's hope we're not".

So many intriguing thematic parallels here. Lawrence's peculiar lust for "fun" and his arrogance as a whole are clearly a source of his greatness and his undoing; and the desert itself plays a critical role in both making and unmaking him. Similarly, he is really being used as a pawn; due to being the only sort of man both brave and foolish enough to both desire and believe he can accomplish (and is perhaps destined to accomplish) larger ends. Again, much like Anakin, when you really think about it...

Every time I see another clip of this clearly compelling show, I am reminded I should have watched it a million times already. That was terrific. Far better written, directed, and yes, acted, I think, than what has come out of the Disney stable, thus far. I need to stop making myself such a pariah here and really check the full thing out. One little scene; so many implications!

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    [face_laugh] =D=

I set myself up for these things, really, don't I? :p

darkspine10 likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  19. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Everyone is coming to my aid. What?! :cool:

Okay, that's great! I'll see if I can order, download, whatever. :)

darkspine10 likes this.
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  21. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Why is it that whenever I read threads where people talk about how much they love the prequels, the phrase that’ll inevitably spring to mind for me at some point is, “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.”

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

I'm sure all cigar lovers wholeheartedly agree! ;) :D

Tonyg and Mostly Handless like this.
  23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Something that isn't talked about enough is not only this guy's piloting talent, but his versatility across the prequels.

- Podracer
    - Naboo starfighter
    - Coruscant speeder
    - Nubian yacht
    - Owen Lars' speeder bike
    - Jedi starfighter
    - The Invisible Hand

Most impressive.

24. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    ...and that's why he's the best in the Galaxy.:)
    [​IMG]

Andy Wylde, wobbits and Nanaki like this.
  25. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Do you think Anakin could win both the Daytona 500 and the Indy 500 driving a bus?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Shaak Ti and Mostly Handless like this.