main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Maul (Marvel) #1-5 & Probe Droid Problem (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I could see Maul and Sidious working on destroying Plagueis together as something pretty big must've occurred when Maul was knighted Darth. I supposed Sidous may of needed Talzin's wisdom and secrets to eventually dispose of someone as powerful and wise as Plagueis.

McFarlane did a cool art piece for Maul today:

I think one of the SEXIEST and SCARIEST Star Wars characters out there is Darth Maul ! - Todd McFarlane

The2ndQuest and Senpezeco like this.
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Oh certainly. But the idea put forth in Luceno's novel, that Plagueis dies during The Phantom Menace? That's just so wrong, good riddance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I wasn't big on Plagueis being around during TPM, but Darth Maul already being trained by Sidious before his death is perfectly fine and within Sith tradition by that point.

MandaloreRex2015 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't think Plagueis should have been the name of Palpatine's master. It's clear from ROTS that he's referring to some ancient legend. That being said, I have no problem with him being alive until TPM - Palpatine held onto him until he didn't have any use for him anymore, which was when he got elected Chancellor.

DelRiego likes this.
  5. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I think that would be more appropriate to discuss in one of the Plagueis-Threads. Anyway: I think you take Palpatine's words towards Anakin at the opera just like Anakin did at RotS - an idle wishful thinking leading to nothing.

Sidious did need Plagueis and Maul at the same time til he got elected chancellor. Plagueis did appove Maul's existence but it was Sidious who gained the utmost benefit out of this obscure situation.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Even before the book, I never took Palpatine's implication that Plagueis was some ancient sith. From the off I believed him to be Palpatine's master.

7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I was like eleven years old when I first theorised that Plageuis was Palpatine's master and that was before I was ever even aware there was such a thing as the EU

Just the way Palatine smiles and says "He had such a knowledge of the dark side....." made me think at the time that Palpatine was reminiscing and had known plageuis personally

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Palpatine's expression when he reminisces about the demise of Darth Plagueis guarantees that the Wise Sith was his Master and that he killed him.

"He could save others form death but not himself."

That smirk says it all. He's laughing at his old master even now. At the old fool who dared to think himself above Palpatine. Who never saw the betrayal coming.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, catching up on the third issue, I can't be the only one who sees that Xev Xrexus is being played by Sigourney Weaver, right?

Sudooku likes this.
  10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I kinda hope Xev Xrexus gets decapitated.

SilentGuy66 and Vialco like this.
  11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The symbol is indeed canon:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Code_of_the_Sith#cite_note-Backstories-1

[​IMG]

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Darth Maul #4
    The hunt is on. Xev turns the auction into a game of sport for those that pay. She has caused Maul's ship to crash so the party goers go from bidders to hunters. They decide to split up. Eventually Maul decides to free the padawan and they fight side by side killing those hunting them down. Cad and Aurra successfully defend themselves also. Their mission is to secure a ship while Maul knows they won't leave without him because he hasn't paid them yet.

With seemingly all the hunters dispatched, the padawan and Maul begin their fight as the issue comes to an end.

I do appreciate that Maul does consider trying to turn her to the darkside in his inner monologue, but he knows that due to the situation they are in, the attempt would be futile. He does detect the padawan's skill, but since the outcome is more than obvious, it'll be neat to see any surprises in store in the final issue.

Side note: The eyeless droid is still in play.

13. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I just finished reading Darth Maul #4 and it was really great! The artwork was amazing, and the characterization has been on point as well. I love the way the story has been building up to the climactic lightsaber duel, and now I can't wait to read the next issue. This is one of my favourite Star Wars series you have put out so far, right up there with Kanan. I'm glad Marvel has been exploring the prequel era more, and I'd love to see this series become an ongoing!

SilentGuy66 and DelRiego like this.
  14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul comes to the self realization that is not
    anger & vengeance against the Jedi entirely that truly drives him, but more the excitement. This is element makes him more unique rather than the revenge madman some where lead to believe- he also seems to want or allow people to assume such. He's very cerebral and introspective as much as extrospective . The whole self narration is very intriguing really. as he's telling his own story and appears for the most part honest.

He also appears at this stage to be not completely or wholly evil in his mindset and actions. He's also more acting upon the belief that the Jedi are evil and he's avenging the Sith. Which opens the door for new or fresh interpretations of his motives later on in the saga - namely when coupled with his feelings and observations on the Jedi Padawan in this story. Who appears to be very much like an aged Ahsoka Tano in skills &, attitude, almost freakishly so. Maul notes her mindset and powers are near knighthood. Maul wants a worthy opponent , he wants the best of the best to face so apparently she's a very powerful Jedi and would be knight.

They both size eachother up and study eachothers moves and psychology, this also pleases Maul as it will give him a better kill or possibly knowing him, it could bring about an potential apprentice.

The supporting Bounty Hunters are good. Cad and the others do there part. We get the first to my knowledge canon IG lancer combat droids in action, they of course do not last long against Maul, nothing does. They all tear through all the criminal hunters with ease. Maul once he's alone and free to act with his lightsaber and the Force is a completely an unstoppable destroyer. Tek-Tek possibly dies from wounds he sustained in the crash, he lost a leg and lots of blood and was stuck in some cavern or something. The protocol droid is rather vengeful on Tek-Tek, could this droid end up becoming CP-3X? Probably not but its interesting. Maul also splits up from his Bounty Hunter companions and gives them a mission that has a duel reason behind. The secretive reason is that none must see him duel the Jedi or use his powers, so thats why Bane and others never officially know they were working for a Sith Lord called Darth Maul. Maul knows word can never spread of what occurred on moon nor his existence (and of the Sith) to the Jedi or even back to his master.

I do wonder if he does destroy her, cause he does sense her inner anger.He briefly toys with a notion that perhaps she could've been turned but its too late for any of that since his course of action dictates that she must die at his hand and no one must ever know, especially Darth Sidious . He notes his actions in seeking her out the way he did, have condemned her to death alone, and seems to expresses some level of remorse or regret since she's could've been tempted to the Dark Side and become an ally.

She too verbally gives some brief Jedi pet talk speech to try and make Maul give up the darkness and his quest, but it seems halfhearted and laden with her inner fierceness & aggressiveness at heart, and so he saw right through it. They both seem to like to use the back and fourth taunts to get a psych attack and moral dampener in, but none of it works on either one. At the end they are about engage and lock lightsabers - a cliffhanger.

Was a fun issue and never drags as its very fast paced, but too damn short.

MandaloreRex2015 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Her being killed before the end of this series is the likley outcome because the Jedi Order doesn't learn about the Sith returning until TPM. However their is one path that could spare her life and keep intact continuity. If this series is set VERY close to TPM. Maul intentionally strands her alive on some god forsaken planet after beating her in a duel. Though if she does escape and reach republic space/Jedi, its after Maul has been defeated by Obiwan. Part of me wishes that is the case, so we could get more stories about her, and see her become a knight. Help to expand the time between TPM and AoTC with a new character.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  16. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    My immediate thought was that the eyeless droid is Triple Zero. Do we know how long his personality matrix was locked away before Aphra found it post-ANH?

17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Prequel era is always the best.
    I am surprised that Maul accepted the duel, since his focus must be on the bounty hunters and Xev Xrexus now, but since Eldra provoked him first, it's only natural that Maul accepted it. Anyways, Maul understands that Eldra is well trained and she is probably going to get promoted soon enough, as far as I remember the writer also said similar things about Eldra.

[​IMG]

Still, there is no confirmation on if Plagueis was alive during Episode I events or not in the new canon now, I wonder what new story group will decide on that.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Its clear Maul likes" her fire in her belly" as Cad Bane put it, and Maul loves a good fight. Plus he has his own personal code of warrior honor(which was true in some of the older EU stories featuring Maul).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999

I was thinking this too.

I have to say, after being very mixed about this new series, this was the best issue to date. I liked the interplay Maul and the padawan, which has a lot of potential. The writer continues to write an excellent Cad Bane too.

SensationalSean likes this.
  20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Guess its possible she may die at the hands of somrone else or she tries to deny Maul his kill by allowing herself to be killed by someone else or whatever - so they can keep the first official Jedi killed as Jinn along with the big reveal of the Sith of TPM intact. Could go either way in the new canon imo.

Seems Darth Maul's DRK-1 probe droids are also armed to kill, so they're closer to Sith assassination droids which brings than back more towards their older EU counterpart again . One wonders what became of them, perhaps they search for their former master at some point.

Maul delivered an epic line and rebuttal, "Spare me, I do not need your Jedi platitudes. The Force is always with me."

[​IMG]

Maul using the Force levitating and snapping a body without looking at them while in fighting numerous opponents was fun too. Pity some of these Marvel comics arent animated.

[​IMG]

Sudooku and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Maul messin people up and finally getting down to lightsabering business with the mouthy padawan! I will say, this series has a LOT of caption boxes which I think it could lose a bit if only because the art is so darn pretty. But we rarely get inside of Maul's head anyway so it's decent to see that.

MandaloreRex2015 and Vialco like this.
  22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The best SW comic series out there right now.

23. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Seems they want to sweeten up the time before Maul's fate will come to his ultimate end in the final S. 4 of Rebels.

24. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    ?
    Mauls ultimate end already happened in season 3.

Daneira likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Zombie Maul confirmed!