main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Rogue One #1-6 (Comic Book Adaptation) (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Jan 12, 2017.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Wait, what??? Vastly different versions of the same events? I haven't read the YA novel, but I didn't expect any contradictions between a comic and a novel. Between a movie and a comic/novel sure, it was even stated by LFL that there may be differences between the movie and it's adaptations. But so far there's been some really good synergy between the comics and novels...

2. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    Without getting into spoilers because Rebel Rising was just released - the events in the novel happen in a totally different location, with more characters involved, a major difference in how Saw and Jyn should be dressed, who leaves who in the scene is different...basically every possible thing you can imagine is different in the novel.

It's a shame really, as they had a pretty good run with keeping the continuity seamless.

spicer likes this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A pity, only because this stains the Story Groups' claims that everything will be non-contradictory from April 2014 onwards. Except for the movie novelizations of course. But now Operation Blue Milk appears to be "canon only where it fits" and with the Jyn YA novel...

Moral of the story: don't give a **** about canon, because they barely made it for 3 years without slipping. I just hope that this comic adaptation will be good (it had a very promising first issue) and I hope that the YA novel is awesome too. From there, pick which ever version you prefer better and don't listen to the Story Group (if there's anything to listen at this point).

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
  5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

As I posted in the other thread, Don't think that scene depicted in the comic in any way needs to be, or was necessarily intended as an actual depiction of the "final goodbye" scene. As presented, it's a general remembrance of her time with Saw, mixed with resent at his leaving.

There's no in-scene dialogue in the scene depicted. It's a tonal mental image under text with her recalling being rescued and raised by him, in additional to not knowing where he is. It brings a jumble of memories of them together, and the scene depicted is not necessarily the final goodbye. It's a depiction of their life, not needing to be that final moment in their life. At least, that's what I got by reading/looking at it. I think an issue is being made into something into something it doesn't need to be.

6. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Careful. Next thing you know he'll be listed as "Near Human" in a source book, from a race of mutant goggle-people.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    On different depictions of the same events- I don't see where the issue is. The gist- Jyn Erso and Saw Gerrera part ways after several years together. Do the specifics of that encounter differing in two stories mean the canon's destroyed? No, because the goal of the story group isn't to make sure every single detail in every single source lines up 100% with everything else. It's way more about the broader details than the nitty gritty stuff. And this is especially true when a mistake boils down to an author not getting a memo on something, doubly so when that something is from a work coming out at almost the same time.

8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    LOL this forum. We're getting great movies like Rogue One, with great tie-in books and an actually good comic adaptation, and people get their knickers in a twist because one scene that wasn't even in the movie doesn't match up.

People just assumed that the Story Group would become the canon police because that's what they want; people care more about having one "true" version of a story with a sheet of facts they can recite than whether the story is actually good.

SG never said that things would 100% line up moving forward. Never, not once. That's not their job, it was never supposed to be, and they never said it was. SG's job it to keep the different departments talking to each other so stories can be shared to bolster creativity. They get EA/DICE to talk to Christie Golden, or Dave Filoni and co to share notes with Tim Zahn, and so on.

I was at Celebration and I listened to several members of the SG (not just Pablo) talk about how much they hate the implications of the word "canon" because they all feel that it limits people to the idea that there can only be one true version of a story, one set of "true facts" that are the absolute truth of what happened, and that if a story isn't "canon" then it somehow doesn't count or isn't important. None of them use that terminology except in passing, almost in jest. Their criteria are simply this: do other storytellers have to take this story into account, or not? From there, they take good ideas from one creator and share them with others, letting those same ideas grow more ideas.

That's the thing. We always used to talk about the sandbox, about how George built it and other people got to play in it and they would always have to know that even if they built a beautiful castle that it could get wiped out whenever George got another idea. It's different now. SG is growing a storytelling garden, where everyone gets a plot to plant their seeds, but also gets given some seeds from others around them. And all of those plots together weave a beautiful garden. It's not about building walls around each plot to make sure that every plant grows exactly right. It's about giving some guidance and then trusting the people who're gardening to give their seeds the best chance to grow.

9. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    Lit forum: 800 pages of discussion over the exact length of a Star Destroyer.

Lit forum when I point out a continuity error in a comic: "LOL. Star Wars isn't real life. Chill bro."

10. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Well, real life is also riddled with continuity errors.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, I get that people are sick and tired of this kind of thing being used as a proxy war by BBLer types, but I do think it should be still possible to point out a continuity error without HUGE DRAMA.

(Though I also do think it's fair to argue that the comic scene isn't meant to be literal).

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    As I mentioned in the Rebel Rising thread the flashback scenes in the comic are so vague that you can't really consider them contradictions. If they were basing an entire comic off of Saw abandoning Jyn and it didn't line up with the book then I think people would have something. But not when all it is is a single page and a few lines of dialogue.

When it is that vague it is too open to interpretation to call it a contradiction in my opinion.

Gudenruben2, rjrjr and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

I didn't really see anything in the comic that contradicted the book. I don't think those glimpses of Jyn's past with Saw are him abandoning her. Or at least I didn't read it that way.

It is interesting others did however.

14. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    In issue #1? Cassian asks Jyn when her last contact with Saw was, and there's an entire page flashback that ends with Saw telling Jyn to stay put, handing her a blaster, and walking out of the door, over Jyn saying "I haven't seen him in years". It seems like a very heavy implication.

Daneira and Manny Bothans like this.
  15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Still a single page flashback is still far too vague to make much of it. Anyway things have been a little fuzzy with Jyn's backstory from the very beginning. In the movie it says Jyn hasn't seen her father in 15 years yet in the Rogue One visual guide written by Pablo himself (who is in the innermost circles of the people creating this canon) it says that scene at the beginning of the movie only happened 13 years ago. Someone brought this up to Pablo in a tweet and he said that Jyn's memory was a little fuzzy on the dates.

Now rather they intended for Jyn to not have a firm grasp on all her memories from the beginning or that is just an idea created due to a mistake done in the visual guide we really don't know. We do know that Jyn's character and backstory was one of the main things that was altered in the reshoots though so maybe that is why the timeline mentioned in the movie and the timeline in the visual guide aren't one in the same. And as a result they are now just running with the idea of Jyn having fuzzy memories.

In anycase it is completely believable for Jyn to not be a 100% on top of her memories. She lost her parents and her life was completely altered at the age of 8. And had pretty much been growing up in hiding or living on the run ever since then. In most kids cases if those types of events happened to them they would likely lose track of their memories as well.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  16. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I do not get why people are so anti "canon". If you do not care about continuity issues why partake in them? I love piecing things together in the canon, same with Legends. I have not read the movie novelizations because I do not trust their canon status. (And I am fine with just watching the movies.) This comic, however, is really interesting me. Many parts make me care more for certain characters.

MrDarth0 and DelRiego like this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't care if it contradicts RR or not, I want a story of this panel very badly.

18. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
  19. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I finally read the first issue, and I just want to say I love the "mission report" format used to give exposition at the start of each issue. Also I like that K2 is listed under the "Rebel Agents" section, shows the Alliance considers him more than just a bit of equipment.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Decent dramatic ending to the issue to stop with Galen's message (and I could finally read what he says at the end of his message when in the movie it's garbled). And I still chuckled at the "And there's a fresh one for you if you mouth off again!" line, mostly because it had an exclamation point behind it.

Jedi Princess and Vialco like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed the first two issues, especially the "mission report" format and all the flashbacks to both Galen and Saw interspersed with the questions Jyn was being asked. I liked Bodhi's flashbacks as well, it fits in with the novel in which Bodhi talks about Bor Gullet splintering his memories.

I didn't think the panel of Saw hugging Jyn and showing her how to shoot a blaster were supposed to coincide with the last time they were together either so I did not see a contradiction with Rebel Rising.

HeatherAntos and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Tell me about it. I spent ages looking for my car keys. Eventually I found them on the sofa when I KNOW I left them on the kitchen worktop. Life imitating art....

Jedi Jessy, Barriss_Coffee and Vialco like this.
  23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Try dropping your wallet on the floor of your car unknowingly and then running around the house the next morning thinking you lost it the previous night. Fun experience.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  24. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    This chapter was decent.

I liked the Steela line from Saw before he dies and the extra Galen scenes.

Barriss_Coffee, revan772 and DelRiego like this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm enjoying this a lot more than I did the TFA adaptation, which didn't really add anything to the movie experience. The same was true of the novelizations, which makes me wonder if it's related to Rogue One being a standalone story, or if it's just a coincidence.