main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One Reviews/Reactions thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 3, 2016.

1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Or 4) watch another movie.

There's nothing wrong with not being compelled by characters even if others are. Personally, I connect with characters when I can identify with what they're trying to do, and not by their personality traits/history (which actually separate them from me). And it's that connection which naturally makes them compelling. I didn't identify at all with their particular quest to steal the plans or Jynn's particular quest to lead the operation. And Felicity acted it brilliantly. I just didn't identify with her or any of the characters. I found her father's imperative more of a clever plot novelty (and it really was clever!) than a gateway through which I could project myself into her shoes. But that's me. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's some combination of the dramaturgy and the story structure which just didn't do the trick for me.

[edit]I guess I can sum up my feelings about Rogue One as "Clever, but not compelling"

11-4D likes this.
  2. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

This bullcrap obsession about character development I'm already thoroughly sick and tired of, forum threads like, "List your complaints about Rogue One" leads nowhere. They produce mucho heat and nada light.

3. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Threads are supposed to lead somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Pevra, Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Whoa. Holy paradigm shift, Batman! Threads that lead somewhere! Mind! Blown!

That idea would destroy the internet as we know it.

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Totally fair post (and I for one certainly didn't mean to criticize your reaction if I did). If the characters didn't work for you on an emotional level then they just didn't. That happens sometimes... . and there's not always some sort of "logical" reason why we like a character or don't like a character.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  6. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I thought I read somewhere that Disney signed an agreement not to use characters from the E.U. in saga films. If that's the case, Ezra couldn't legally be a character in TLJ

7. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    ^just realized (too late to erase it) that I wrote that in the wrong thread. Apologies.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    or option 4) - they make a film with compelling/memorable characters and a great story in 2hours , plenty of other films have managed that in the past .

Darth_Pevra and 11-4D like this.
  9. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Which is exactly what they did.... at least according to audience scores and critical response.

You certainly can't please everyone of course.

10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    True. Including Rogue One.

Darth__Lobot and Ricardo Funes like this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    but I don't really care what audience scores and critical response is , those things don't affect my opinion .

12. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Fair enough, I understand where you are coming from. I still have no idea how the hell Iron Man 3 got such positive reviews :)

gezvader28 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I feel the exact same way about Avengers. It's as if nearly every critic saw a completely different movie than I did.

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    One thing I absolutely love about Rogue One is that it makes a compelling case, that is often not made in film, that big events (by famous people) in history are preceded by a lot of hard work and sacrifice by lots of other often faceless, nameless people. Take Rosa Parks' historic decision to sit at the back of the bus, for example. That's all we read about in history class. That happened, and it sparked a movement. But the truth is that her action was the result of a multi-year process involving a whole host of brave civil rights activists, many of whom are unknown to history, conducting a broad range of actions to lay the groundwork for Parks' action on the bus. Unsung heroes.

Rogue One tells the story of those unsung heroes of the Rebellion. Now when I watch R2 rolling through the desert in ANH, I feel the sense of a past struggle behind him. Urging him on. In this way, Edwards did a wonderful thing. And he is, IMO, one of the true heirs to Lucas among directors.

I hope Johnson is the next one.

15. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    How much credit Edwards should take for those aspects you praise vs the reshoot director and/or writers is an open question.

Snafu55 likes this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I think Edwards takes most of the credit. The raw material for an amazing film was there (as we could see from early trailers), and I believe it simply wasn't hanging together as well as it could. And so they slightly restructured the story, and that required significant re-shoots. Furthermore, Edwards was still directing during reshoots. It's just that Gilroy co-directed. But the end product still feels far more like an Edwards film than a Gilroy film. Gilroy is primarily a fixer. He's a professional who knows how to make things click. And he helped Edwards polish a film that was already good. Just rough around the edges.

Though it's partly that roughness that I find so compelling about Rogue One.

IMO, after having watched it a number of times at home now, it sits at the top for me. Followed by ESB and ANH.

17. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2017
    Watched this again last night. I love this movie and believe it's one of the best. Slower paced but works so well. Can't get enough of the soundtrack too! Even though we don't know the characters deeply, I still felt somewhat emotionally attached to them.

18. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The other thing to remember of course is that Edwards and Gilroy worked together on Godzilla in a similar capacity so I'd imagine that it could well be that he asked specifically for him to be brought in to help rather than being "replaced" as the gossip tried to make out. I do tend to think that Hollywood these days does suffer from a lack of reshoots, everything is on such a tight schedule that to me clunky plotting and dialog ends up getting released way too often.

I mentioned it with the hoover tanks design but really watching Rouge One more the degree of Blade Runner influence visually does I think become increasing clear. The crowded exotic streets on ring of kafrene and Jedha, the eastern techno bazar feel at Saw's hideout, the rain drenched grungy tech on Eadu and the chiaroscuro closeups for so much of the dialog at say the rebel base of on various transports. I don't think it commits as much to atmosphere as Blade Runner does but still this is one of the most successful recreations I ever remember seeing, the degree of detail and indeed the subtlety of lighting/composition aren't something you often see(certainly not in TFA for me that was distracting in your face in its camera work/compositions too often IMHO).

Darth__Lobot and Gigoran Monk like this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yet another rewatch! I just can't get enough of this movie [face_love]

20. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
  21. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Wait. Was that supposed to be "Top Ten Reasons Why This Video Sucks?"

There's little worse than idiotic amateur reviewers who actually think they're intelligent.

Ricardo Funes and Darth_Voider like this.
  22. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I think you would have to at least agree that it is the most sober minded negative review of R1 on youtube. I encourage people to give it a watch.

23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Sober? Maybe. But sober does not equal insightful. I thought the critique was pretty shallow, overall.

And having seen the incredible Dunkirk, I have to say that Rogue One is very much akin to it (covers a slice of time during which ordinary people showed great heroism and doesn't have long character arcs). And I think some viewers simply don't respond well to that kind of film.

Avnar and Sarge like this.
  24. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    You do have to admit, his critiques of the editing are valid. There were many odd moments when the scenes did feel disjointed and incongruous.
    And as far as being shallow, the guy himself said that the review wasn't as in-depth as his usual productions are.

25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I actually believe it was Giacchino's score, almost entirely in the beginning (during the planet-hopping) that gave the impression of choppy editing, and not the edit itself. Perhaps the only one that stands out to me is the cut from Wobani to Yavin IV. The music was unnecessarily and suddenly bombastic during that cut, mostly because (it seems) Giacchino was trying to shove the Rebellion motif into a short establishing scene. Something much quieter was necessary there.

But other than that, the editing for Rogue One was exemplary.

Darth__Lobot likes this.