main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

And Denial is a river in Egypt.

2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Grabbed this last night, hopefully I'm able to make a decent enough dent in my reading backlog to start in on it relatively soon.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 16-18:

Like someone else said, I'm finding the Pryce back story more interesting than Thrawn himself. So she's going to get revenge on Ghadi, and use Thrawn to help her out.

The anti-alien corrupt ***hole politics in the Academy are interesting, particularly how Thrawn manages to piss everyone off but they are forced to recognize his skill and advance him through quickly anyway, which just pisses everyone off more. His ship gets put last in line for repairs. I could not help but LOL.

I also liked his getting himself out of an impossible situation, we saw it in Rebels, but the Breaking Bad scenario with Joko and Nightswan was great. "Pre-spice"? Space pseudophedrine?

Someone promote Vanto already.

4. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    If you enjoyed Pryce's story so far, you won't be disappointed during the remainder of the book.

I might be overdosing on the book; have read it twice and am now listening to the audio book. So enjoyable, I really like Zahn's writing style with its strong focus on characterisation and dialogue, leaving descriptions to the bare minimum (and really, what do we have our imagination for after all). I was surprised several "official" reviews thought the battle scenes were too long - for me they could have been longer (and more of them!).

As a general note, it is interesting to hear which books people prefer. Personally, I thought Catalyst and Tarkin were ok but not great - and I thought Catalyst especially not so well written at times. So I was was surprised it is highly regarded. Have to give it another go, I guess I missed something.
    Currently reading Bloodline (as I understand one of the most recommended new canon books) and am about 1/3 in; again, I am not exactly overwhelmed. The story is interesting but the characterisations for me a bit off and inconsistent. But will see how it continues.

Just as well we have so many different Star Wars authors. Something for everyone to enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Indeed, it very much depends on personal preference. I liked all four books you mentioned -- Catalyst, Tarkin, Bloodline, and Thrawn. But for similar reasons: politics and intrigue. But I can see why opinions on those books can very based on the "A plot" of those books, where one's mileage may vary.

6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Yes just like I can't understand how so many people can find Pryce's backstory interesting (except towards the end). All the beginning was sooo boring to read, in MY opinion. I just wanted to skip the parts where she was searching for a job or trying to find a flat, etc... all her chapters of the first half of the book were really "meh". There were huge things going on in the galaxy, but no, we were spending full chapters seeing if Pryce could finally find a new flat or if she could eat something by inviting herself to a party. Okay...

But as you said, there is something for eveyone to enjoy, people have different tastes.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I can't speak for others. But I liked Pryce because she was human. Normal. With normal parents and ordinary concerns like those of real people.

I could personally relate to Pryce more than any other character in the book. That's why the parts with her were my favourite.

Daneira likes this.
  8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    She wasn't my favourite part of the novel, but I was surprised by how much I liked her scenes. Just from having seen the character on Rebels and then seeing her depiction under Zahn, she felt like an actual human being and not just Space!Irinia Spalko. It was a revelation.

PCCViking likes this.
  9. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    Thrawn is obviously my favorite character. However, Ahrinda Pryce is phenominal as well. I'm glad they created her as a relatable character instead of that douche in Tarkin and such that throws managers into dissolving vats for no reason.

Rennzwerg likes this.
  10. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I really liked the Pryce chapters as well. Can't say I liked them more or less than the Thrawn chapters, but the book was definitly better for having Thrawns military rise and Pryces political rise in parrelel. Just one or the other and the book could have gotten monotomous pretty quick, but interspersed together and you have yourself a very good book.

Rennzwerg likes this.
  11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Do you mean Count Vidian? He was in A New Dawn, not Tarkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's Coruscant, Vana. What happens there is more important than anything else in the galaxy. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Daneira likes this.
  13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    That kind of thinking, in-universe, is what got the New Republic to get their capital off of Coruscant in Disney canon. Otherwise it would have been just the latest in a long line of galactic governments by the elite, for the elite (was the New Republic in Legends seen this way?)

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Coruscant life was interesting, but some chapters were quite boring, that's all. Especially the Pryce chapters at the beginning of the book until the moment when she meets Tarkin, I would say.

I could relate more to Eli than to Pryce. He sounded more like a "normal human" to me than Pryce, who was always devoured by ambition. I'm more the peaceful type like Eli, and being Thrawn's Basic teacher would be my dream job :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think the Legends NR was seen that way, but it should've been. I always liked the theory the Solo kids had fancy Coruscanti accents.

It's exactly why the canon NR moved away from Coruscant and adopted a more egalitarian outlook. A pity. That's why they won't ever truly get my support, even while I despise the FO.

Well, personal preference again -- I thoroughly enjoyed all the intrigue with the senators and the Ascension Week stuff in particular. Most enjoyable parts of the book for me.

While Thrawn stopped being interesting as soon as he left the Royal Academy.... you strongly disagree, I'm sure. ;)

Yes, I'll bet. :p

Pryce may have come from a backwater, but she recognized the value of Coruscanti society and grew to be a part of it. Eli never truly left Wild Space... I could never relate to him.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

anakinfansince1983 and Vialco like this.
  16. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Jello, who do you support then? Surely not Mas Amedda's Jedi Temple Party Emporium and Debauchery Fest Rump Empire?

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Have we met? That's exactly who I'm supporting.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Oh I liked their stories as well! I enjoy anything that sheds more light on characters' aspirations and background (if done consistently). For example with Tarkin, how did he get to be the man we met in ANH? Makes these people far more believable and less black & white villains/heroes.
    I just did not care so much for some of the writing style, which is personal preference of course.

Btw, this is the first book discussion thread I ever followed and it has been great so far. Fascinating how we can all read the same book and have such different views on things. Such fun. :)

19. DarthKuriboh

Aug 8, 2007

yeah Vidian. I hate that piece of garbage.

20. DarthKuriboh

Aug 8, 2007

The canon New Republic is so indecisive and divided that hopefully the Empire will reform around a Grand Admiral and take it back. I literally wanted to throw my kindle across the room reading Bloodlines... I've never been a fan of a government not named "The Galactic Empire," but the disneyu NR is about as useful as tits on a bull.

21. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I blame Mothma, almost entirely. She was so afraid of another Palpatine that she designed the NR to be completely ineffective and unable to actually govern.

22. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    And the irony is, the NR continued to function for as long as it did only because of Mon Mothma being able to bring all parties together... As soon as she was out of the picture it started to fall apart.

Does not sound to a stable democracy to me either - even if it was well-intentioned!

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Vialco like this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

OOU I blame the writers. Heck, the TFA Dictionary didn't have this mess.

Who elects the very scientist that left their homeworld uninhabited as their senator in the first place? Doesn't matter if it go the Empire off your homeworld, you are still responsible for destroying your own homeworld.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Started this book last night. Thoroughly enjoyed the "rewrite" of Mist Encounter and loved how Zahn managed to keep true to the original story but also include certain updates (i.e. V-Wings and the Venator).

25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    This "unstable democracy" was able to maintain peace in the Galaxy for thirty years, albeit in the absence of a major threat.

But there was nothing the New Republic could have done to stop Starkiller Base. The Chancellor and the Admirals were not omniscient. There was no way they could have known that the remnants of the Empire survived in the Unknown Regions and were building a planet-killer that could transcend hyperspace.

The Jedi Council on the other hand, could have foreseen this. If Luke had rebuilt it. Which he didn't. At least not to any standard of effectiveness.