main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Kessel Run

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darthOB1, Apr 29, 2017.

1. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Then how does it equate speed with less distance?

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It has to do with finding the shortest route through it. There are numerous dangers throughout so you can't just go straight through it. Han with the best navicomputer was able to plot the shortest route than any other ship. Or something like that. :p

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Actually that TFA gag kind of makes the point that Han is the one constantly self-promoting the lower number 12 as opposed to the more likely real number 14.

This goes so far as in the new novelizations of the OT:

Canon sources conflict on the veracity of Solo's claim of the Millennium Falcon making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy describes the claim as a "lie" that the inexperienced Luke Skywalker is impressed with, but which the seasoned Obi-Wan Kenobi recognizes as nothing more than a boast. Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!, however, states in its narration that "Not every ship is created equal and the rebels have the ship that did the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs."

So maybe he did it or maybe not.

I don't quite see how it would work that well since it's about delivering and picking up shipments and constantly going in and out of hyperspace while making computations on the navi-computer. So the real story is working the navigation not the speed which is the same for everyone. It's about getting the distance down not racing faster over the same distance.

4. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    But Han seemed to be referencing the Kessell Run as a measuring tool for its speed in ANH, wasn't he?

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Totally agree. Though I also hope it's shorter than the pod racing sequence in TPM. :p

Strongbow, themoth and Gigoran Monk like this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm hoping that the kessel run thing turns out to be actually true. IMO considering Han's character arc from a scoundrel into a good person who cares about people other than himself throughout the OT, it would make more sense if he wasn't holding on to that lie for all those years. I imagine given the type of man he had become by the time of ROTJ or even TFA, he would have finally admitted to lying about such a major accomplishment, if it weren't true.

Shaak Ti, Force Smuggler and EHT like this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed. Much shorter. Somehow I think that's the approach Lord and Miller would take.

DARTH_BELO and EHT like this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't mind a scenario involving Han using the kessel run to escape from the antagonists in the story-or perhaps some other smugglers he might have swindled (cos there were still beings in the galaxy left for that at that point, most likely :p ), and they perhaps could have noticed he outran them by making it in less than 12 parsecs...and the rest would be history.

I could see that working. Either way it would have to come late in the film, since it was done with the falcon, which presumably Han wouldn't have until later on in the story...?

9. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    I suppose we at least will see how Han won the falcon from Lando fair and square

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Actually it's about the time it took which is "speed" as such.

Lightspeed is the same speed but if you can navigate a shorter route then you will be "faster".

The Kessel Run would have to be a montage because it would take some time as you keep landing, loading, flying, landing, unloading flying etc.

The whole point is that it's a smuggling route.

What they could do is show a part of it that cuts down the distance like going through some crazily dangerous area but saves several parsecs.

11. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Parces are measures of distance not time.

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Are the actual details of the Kessel Run canon?

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Remember when the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs thing was just some bull**** made up by Han to impress Ben and Luke and not an actual convoluted thing?
    [​IMG]

14. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Wow then that misinformation somehow made its way through 30years across the galaxy in to to inqusite mind of Rey who got it slightly off by 2 parces? Hmmmm. Naaaaa.

15. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    More like, made it through 40 years across the SW fanbase into the minds of fans, JJ included.

Shadao and Mostly Handless like this.
  16. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Lol. Doesn't matter. The fact is it's canon now. Its clear the legend of the MF doing the Kessell Run in 12 parsecs is NOW not misinformation but fact!

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Yeah? Never said otherwise. It's still a retcon based on misunderstanding the purpose of Han's line, and I hope this movie will reference it as part of its original intent.

Shadao likes this.
  18. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    My bad. I though you were arguing the thought that The goal wasn't shorter distance.
    Oh wait now I'm confused...

Nevermind

19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like it more that the Kessell Run achievement is true. Han may lie and cheat, but he can achieve the impossible. The Kessell Run is his big badge of honor.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Yeah, at least it was until he helped blow up a Death Star by ambushing a Sith Lord and a TIE fighter formation with a tramp freighter. That'd be worth major bragging rights... if anybody believed it was possible.

21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The Kessell Run was such a big deal Rey was talking about it in TFA. It has become folklore.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Nothing slight about it.

The point is that Han is the one who has to "correct" it while the story being told is about the actual number. Now the point from TFA is that the Falcon did make it quicker than anyone else did but Han enhanced it.

At a number that Han doesn't want it to be.

He got the record but wants a lower number.

23. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Yes, If Han is to be believed, then he flew in a straighter line than anyone else. Which often times means that it was faster.
    However, This could mean that he didn't actually have the fastest time, just the shortest journey. [face_thinking]

I'm not sure. Another good question, "Is the Kessel run a hyperspace journey or is it something that must be made in real-space or a combo?"

Sarge likes this.
  24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

Twelve parsecs is about 40 light years. If we are being technical about it then Han merely worked out the shortest distance between two or more points. Providing he kept the amount of Hyperspace jumps to a minimum he would have cut the Kessel Run to the shortest distance and presumably the quickest time. Remember that in Hyperspace obstacles don't just disappear;

Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova...

Shaak Ti, Sarge and Gigoran Monk like this.
  25. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Its a lot like barrel racing (the female rodeo event) now that I think about it.
    Yes, you want to go fast on the straight-aways, but you also need to be efficient around the turns.

Shaak Ti likes this.