main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Then what Obi Wan meant to say was "I am a jedi. therefor I've never possessed anything." not "I don't seem to remember........" . And using that same rationale, it never was Anakin's droid either so to invoke it makes your own argument.inconsistent

The truth is that R2-D2 was always Padme's droid but which happened to go on a missions with a Jedi whose attachment to her is supposed to be a secret [face_thinking]

It was a pedantic way to answer the question, in light of the history shown in the prequels which suggests that if Obi Wan was ever to rememeber any particular droids it might be the golden protocol droid and blue domed R2 unit that claim to be seeking him out even though his being there is supposed to be secret.

Otherwise it's fine.

Darth Downunder and DrDre like this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah, but Anakin is an unconventional Jedi who gets attached to people he's close to and even to droids unlike Obi-Wan who thinks R2 is only a droid and most other Jedi. R2 was given a message and the plans of the Death Star by Leia to be given to Obi-Wan Kenobi because she was captured so it's logical he would try to find him whether Obi-Wan remembers him or not.

3. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    "I was ONCE a Jedi Knight, the same as your father." He stopped being an officially recognized Jedi when the Order and the entire Republic went down, so he had almost 20 years to own any number of droids among the other possessions he now housed in his little hut, but he didn't. Plus, there might be a hint of that sly British sarcasm he so expertly specializes in, as he gives a slight smile.

He probably didn't remember the droids (or perhaps he did but didn't want to divulge too many details. 3PO's memory was wiped for a reason.) since they all look alike, and also because he's become senile ("Crazy old wizard") in his two decades of solitude, the same as Yoda.

4. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    Playing LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens And funny how this game tells the story in some parts better than the movie like how in the game Poe Try to leave but get shot down

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    One thing that is great about the Prequels is they have the push of the creator of the whole thing behind them, warts and all. The news films, even if they were "better" in construction and execution, would still lack that special part to them.

But it was bound to happen since George already had outlines for a ST and he reached an age when he didn't want to spend what was likely the rest of his life making another SW trilogy.

Happy Belated Birthday George.

6. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
  7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi CAST Pics! Part 61

New pics of the cast from Celebration and elsewhere! Kelly Marie Tran, Mark Hamill, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and director Rian Johnson!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I think it would be crazy to "bury" the PT.

By making the ST, Disney is highlighting SW as a unique movie franchise: A generational saga spanning decades, starring individuals who are powerful and drive the destiny of their universe but who are timately mortal.

Disney already has the Marvel franchise - huge, super-flashy movies starring essentially immortal super-beings saving the galaxy on a daily basis. The stakes are never very high because we all know the heroes will win at the end. And if a hero dies he'll be resurrected, unquestionably.

I don't mean to criticize the super hero genre; I'm just highlighting how SW is a fundamentally different creature. And as such, SW movies can't simply be swept under the rug like so many super hero movies can be.

Here's the thing, though: It's not an all-or-nothing proposition for Lucasfilm/Disney. Maybe they plan on mining the PT for themes, ideas, characters, plot, structure, etc, without highlighting the PT as movies. From what criticism I've read of the PT, it sounds like its *essential elements* are not nearly as much of an "issue" with critics as, say, the acting. I say, Whatever. (Sorry, I was a 90s kid...) The PT does the job. Even if Lucasfilm/Disney were shaking in its shoes at the prospect of even aluding to the PT (which, I assure you, they are not), they'd be severely hobbling their promotion of the franchise if they start pretending the PT doesn't ecist.

I, for one, want Episodes 8 and 9 to reference the PT. I want the 9 films to feel as cohesive as is possible at this stage in the Saga's production.

10. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    JoJoPenelli Sorry if my earlier post sounded as if I was attacking you in any way, that was not my intention.
    ...was aimed more at the PT fans who recently have been persistently claiming that Disney is trying to 'sweep PT under the rug', despite all the recent new content this era of Star Wars has gained (novels, comics) as well as numerous references in TFA, Rogue One and Rebels. Proving their claims are untrue. Its an issue that has been bugging me recently, that all.
    I hope that makes sense.:)

11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh! No worried! I didn't think you were attacking me at all! :)

I was just monologuing a bit re: not only the inherent value of the PT (even if one dislikes the movies) but the $$ value to Disney, both as its own trilogy and as part of a larger Saga. ^_^;;

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The Prequels are just as much a part of SW as the OT. It is silly to think otherwise. They are, technically and officially, Star Wars.

In fact, a greater argument can be made that the new, Lucas-less Star Wars films are less so.

13. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  14. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Speaking about production of future Star Wars; had he things went the way they were supposed to, right now, some of us could have been seated in a theater to watch Star Wars: Episode VIII - Whatever the Hell the Title Would Be,executive produced, co-wrote and based on a "Story By George Lucas", with production of Episode IX already on the way.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think they call that crying over spilt milk.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

:confused: Why do you say the way things were supposed to? George sold Star Wars because he didn't want to do anymore. That's why he sold it. Otherwise, we would either not have any Star Wars right now or Episode 7 directed by him and then VIII an IX directed by others(which is what Lucas said he considered before selling).

He just didn't want to do it anymore.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Han Solo SPOILER Pics! Part 7

SPOILERS! New set and character pics from the Han Solo spin off film! Han's new look, vehicles and more!

18. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    And, importantly, he (apparently?) cared more about the $4.2 bil than he did about determining the future of the franchise. Considering he first declared he wouldn't continue to make SW a while back (if I remember correctly), Lucas took some time considering how much he really needed to control his creation's legacy.

Which is why I'm puzzled when I see complaints of the great disservice Disney is purportedly doing Lucas. Unless they are actually *violating the contract of sale* in some way, Lucas has no reason to feel wronged, nor, I believe, should we feel the need to be ticked off on his behalf.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Considering that he donated it all and cared enough to develop the story for a sequel trilogy, that statement is flat out false.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    No. He had a choice. He chose the money. For personal use, a worthy cause, whatever. The fact is he chose that over the ability to determine the future of SW. Period.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I forgot about the original time table, so I appreciated L110's reminder about what might've been. Fans are allowed to feel wistful and/or have their preferences regardless of the realities of current Star Wars.

Jesta' and Mostly Handless like this.
  22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah cared enough for a story for HIS Sequel Trilogy he decided he didn't want to make. :rolleyes: There was no betrayal or anything of the sort from Disney. Lucas sold all of the characters and rights and he knew they could either embrace his ideas of discard them. He wouldn't have sold if he thought otherwise. Lucas is smarter than that.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he decided to have a supervising role. Actually, before the sale he considered to direct the first one and only supervise the remaining two.

Actually, there was. Because it was promised to us, back when the sale was announced, that they were going to adapt the story he had developed and that in turn he would remain in a consulting role. Something we only much later learned to be a lie because someone happened to ask Lucas while he was in a press junket for a completely unrelated movie.

{Quantum/MIDI} and Jesta' like this.
  24. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    Bait removed.

25. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    There are two sides to this story. Lucas and Disney apparently didn't agree on numerous aspects of the production, but it was Lucas, as he states in an interview, who decided he didn't want to stay and "mock things up", if they didn't do it, the way he wanted. However, that sort of control is precisely the thing he gave up, when he sold his company to Disney, which he must have understood. So, it seems unfair to place all the blame on Disney, and accuse them of lying, when two parties don't see eye to eye.

ShaneP and DarthCricketer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.