main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Oh, I know. The timing is amusing, that's all.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/big-trouble-8

Mike Pence is highly compromised from a legal perspective and all the talk about Pence becoming president (or that he would immediately cause a period of normalcy) is showing who is paying attention and who is just parroting conventional wisdom, if there could be such a thing at a time like this.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know which would be worse, President Pence or President Ryan.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Ryan becoming president would be the greatest upward failure in American history.

5. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The establishment would love it, though. He's their man.

6. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Reuters: Trump Campaign officials contacted the Kremlin at least 18 times in the last months of the campaign, more than previously disclosed

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-trump-campaign-had-least-18-undisclosed-contacts-090326186.html

Trump sent message to Flynn AFTER firing to "stay strong"
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/investigators-circled-flynn-got-message-trump-stay-strong-145442727.html

With how Pence and Ryan might now be involved in the cover-up, we might get President Orrin Hatch! :p

8. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Yeah looks like Pence might go down with the ship too https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ity-problem/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.25acc6c64866

I doubt the GOP would protect Pence the way they protect Trump because the base doesn't give a crap about Pence, it's Trump they want, so as long as they replaced him with a generic Republican it wouldn't hurt his base.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The White House is becoming Russian Orthodox?

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Saint Basil's Cathedral is a far more majestic building. Americans should be happy it is replacing the White House.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    last Monday (5/8) - Yates hearing on Russia investigations and more, doesn't look the best for Trump

last Tuesday (5/9) - Comey fired, shockwaves

last Wednesday 5/10) - Trump invites Russian foreign minister and ambassador to Oval Office, against protocol, blocks American press, gives Top-Secret Intel from Israel

last Thursday (5/11) - Trump derails the Pence/Spicer/Huckabee account of Comey firing, saying he'd do it anyways, was thinking about Russia, said he had dinner with Comey begging for his job when he asked about investigation... Comey ally says Trump told Comey that Trump actually demanded loyalty

last Friday (5/12) - Trump threatens Comey on Twitter with releasing "tapes" that his press won't confirm or deny

(I don't think anything broke this weekend, for the public anyways)

this Monday (5/15) - revealed that Trump leaked Top-Secret Intel from Israel to Russia during last week's surprise Oval Office meeting with Russians at center of investigation, and Trump met with the Abu Dhabi Prince who Trump tried to create a backchannel to Russia through (along with the founder of Blackwater, Betsy DeVos's brother)

this Tuesday (5/16) - content of some Comey memos revealed that Trump asked Comey to forget about investigating Flynn/Russia, after Trump insisted on Pence and Sessions leaving the room, and asked about jailing the press

yesterday (5/17) - Mueller appointed by DoJ/Rosenstein as Special Counsel to oversee the Russia investigation, Pence and Trump and others knew Flynn was under investigation before he was hired and therefore lied, Flynn's Turkish connections seem to have prevented a ready-to-go attack on ISIS HQ, tape shows Ryan/McCarthy talking about Putin paying Trump and swearing not to tell anyone which they first deny and then say is a joke

today (5/18) - Trump campaign contacted the Kremlin 18 more times than previously disclosed, Trump told Flynn to "stay strong" AFTER firing, it's confirmed Flynn and Manafort are subjects in criminal investigation into Russia/TrumpCampaign... and I'm sure more to come

12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Are there any mass protests on the streets of the United States, after the recent events?

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah Ghost, add this part of the reuters story to your running billboard, you know, the one you left out. Kind of important since that is the main charge leveled at the Trump administration:

"The people who described the contacts to Reuters said they had seen no evidence of wrongdoing or collusion between the campaign and Russia in the communications reviewed so far."

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Idiocy, not scandal, but so Trump:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-israel-speech-masada-helicopter

President Donald Trump canceled a planned speech at the historic mountain fortress of Masada in Israel after learning that he could not land a helicopter at the site, Newsweek reported on Thursday.

It's more shock/exhaustion. Protests are more likely to happen if there's a direct action from Trump that impacts people, like the Ban or the Wall or TrumpCare.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Aside from, you know, an actual, literal witch hunt, where women were accused and convicted of being witches AND BURNED AT THE STAKE!

17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    what exactly did Obama do that was Illegal? And besides campaign rhetoric what did Hillary do that was Illegal?

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The Salem Witch Trials were huge!! So sad.

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

The head of state involved in alleged collusion with a foreign adversary is the least worse?!

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Since Trump became President, the big protests haven't been about media reporting, but Trump actions/attempts.

21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I wasn't referring to media coverage; I was implying, if the head of state is accused of being under the thumb of a foreign government, people should probably take to the streets and rebel.

In Latin America, entire cities would've been shut down (or even burnt down) over something like this.

That's why I'm surprised over the "meh" response to it.

Jedi Merkurian and Rew like this.
  22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Who is the Abigail Williams then? I don't believe anyone would have a crush on Trump that much.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw a few comments on a friend's page about this.

Yadda yadda "missing the context Trump was not comparing himself to assassinated Presidents he was talking about how he is treated by the media."

To which my response is, one, he still whines more than the whiniest kid I know. If you can't take heat from the press, he should not be President. And two, the "context" excuse is used so often that the problem is Trump, not the people who hear or read what he says and do not interpret it the way he prefers.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Trump is claiming this is just Democrats upset with losing:rolleyes: this is on Wolf Blitzer on CNN that's where I heard it.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's not a "meh" response; everyone except for his diehard support base is upset about it, watching the news about it, and talking about it. But most people also believe the system works, and that the government is larger than any one person. Watergate didn't end with Nixon's resignation because people were going to burn down cities. At any rate, there have been all sorts of protests against almost everything Trump has said or done, but they've mostly been peaceful... and as Ghost says, they've generally been bigger when they're against specific actions (like the Muslim travel ban, for example).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.