main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Has the author been known to pull Big-Lipped Aligator moments before?

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Good issue.

The action felt fairly confusing at times, keeping track of where people were and what exactly was going on with the bridge, etc. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. I don't know if the art shifted deliberately at all, but I was definitely getting Tales of the Jedi vibes from this issue, especially the style of the lightsaber and smoke effects.

And Aphra gave the (fake) crystal to some guys she knows? Some... Top. Guys. Think this series just about got away with its Indy references, but nice twist at the end, which will hopefully lead into Screaming Citadel.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i really want the aphra and vader "reunion." it would probably work best if it happened after the emperor found out about luke in his own way (assuming aphra had nothing to do with that... actually it might be more interesting if she did). as that way she doesn't have any more secrets. but it will take forever to get there with only one little comic a month...

4. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    @LelalMekha I don't think it's a BLAM as hopefully...

...we'll learn more about the connection between the Massassi and Ordu in the future. Maybe in SW Rebels now that they're heading to Yavin? I really liked that the search for the Ordu led the Aphras to Yavin...there are just some unanswered questions that will hopefully be answered in due time.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah a BLAM would have been something like Bossk randomly appearing and telling Aphra he's not after her or something, and then leaving just like that. There being an unkown connection between
    the Massassi and the Ordu Aspectu is just mysterious lore-building. Maybe it'll be explored, maybe not, but we know so little about both that there are a ton of reasonable possibilities as to how they're connected.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's just that the characters themselves don't seem to care about it. Aphra isn't even curious, and her father doesn't even attempt to explain.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I think they had more pressing concerns, considering they had to race against time to evade the Imperials present.

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    *Mumbles*
    I--I'm not trying to make sense, just to express frustration! :p

9. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    what about vaderrrr?

10. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    Visually this issue was much more impressive than the others. I liked the coloring and the colour behind the panels.

I've really enjoyed this first arc. It's one of my favorite Star Wars stories.

[​IMG]
    I found Rur's fate satisfying. Rur 2.0 being stolen means we've got two crazy ancient droid personalities on the loose.

vncredleader and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just read issue #6 today and I was surprised how much I ended up liking it. With the disappointing end to Yoda's arc, I guess I was a bit jaded but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It's funny to take a step back and see how much ground was covered in these six issues and how much we learned compared to other arcs and how much fun was had (by the audience). I'm definitely going to have to go back and re-read these 6 issues again.

There were some good points made earlier in this thread concerning the unanswered questions -- questions that I'm sure the writers have in their mind and will address if given the opportunity. I'm mostly confident that these writers have the JJ Abrams TFA mindset that shooting a scene on the Falcon (/Yavin) is cool, but you need to work past that and make it interesting.

I'm definitely looking forward more to the cross over that I was initially. It still bothers me how much Aphra looks like Shara Bay on the cover of the Screaming Citadel, but my hope is that the story insides makes up for it.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    where their any blue lightsabers in this issue?

13. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    Yup.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    where they the blue kind or more aqua?

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Awesome stuff in here, I'm always a fan of when crazy world destroying robots go off (As I read it, the "fake rur" is the real one and the robo one is just a crazy robot) some real good twists in the last few pages as well and the art of everything going all chaotic was real fun to see.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Covers and synopses for issues #9 and #10
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Issue #9 - Star Wars 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by Reilly Brown
    Issue #10 - Star Wars 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by TBA
    • Aphra’s back with a brand-new plan that’s guaranteed to pay!
    • There’s just one teensy problem…
    • It involves surrounding herself by some of the galaxy’s biggest baddies.
    • And they don’t like Aphra’s tricks!

From http://www.newsarama.com/34087-marvel-comics-full-july-2017-solicitations.html

17. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    If the Sith found out about Rur 2.0, would they want him?

18. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  19. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    @TiniTinyTony Completely agree with you that the cover artist for Screaming Citadel made Aphra look almost exactly like Shara Bey. Same artist (Marco Checchetto). You can't just put Shara Bey in Aphra's gear and call her Doctor Aphra.

The covers for issues 9 and 10 look fantastic. Issue 10's cover definitely is intriguing to wonder why Aphra is decked out like that...must be part of the con.

The Fried Pie variant cover of Screaming Citadel is a little too video game-ish for me. Love the Luke variant with the Queen menacing behind him.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Pretty good conclusion to this first arc while obviously setting up the main seed for the crossover event. Even so, this first arc was a real blast. The green action sequence between the calendar conversation and Aphra's return was a little confusing though (i didn't realize they left). I liked how they've managed to keep Aphra from going heroic and staying greedy/grey.

I think I'd have to agree with the opinion that the unanswered questions are just lore building right now- and we'll either get something in Rebels (like how Darth Vader tied the Geonosian queen detail together long in advance) or as future follow-up in this series (since Captain Tolvan is still alive).

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  21. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I've finally read Issue 6 and have to say, I'm a bit disappointed.

I liked Aphra as an unwilling hench(wo)man for Vader, but as a star of her own series, she's not really doing it for me.

I'm looking forward to the Screaming Citadel crossover thou, which can have some fun interactions between Aphra and the OT crew, where Aphra works best IMO.

Also, since when was Mussolini and his fascist party part of Star Wars? I would really appreciate if Star Wars authors would refrain from using names of real political movements in the GFFA. What's next, Leia calling Palpatine a nazi or Mon Mothma being labelled as a bolshevik?

However I did like the reference to Čapek's play R.U.R.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    First of all, the term was also used in Legends - according to Wookieepedia in The Force Unleashed and Crimson Empire 3.

Secondly, while Mussolini was the first to popularize the term, it's not a proper noun, especially not in modern colloquial usage, the same way Nazi or Bolshevik is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

And I was against the term being used in Legends as well back then.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. My problem with the word isn't that it's not a proper noun, but the fact that it should not exist in GFFA in the first place.

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    But no Earth words should exist in Star Wars. Should Palpatine not be called the Emperor because of that word's very Earth-specific origins in the Roman Republic military? Or what about the word "galaxy", which specifically refers to the Milky Way?

revan772 and Jedi Princess like this.