main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit More Legacy EU Books?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MartyAvidianus, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Are there any plans from Disney to release more Legacy Expanded Universe books (novels) or comics?

Should there be?

I know I would buy any post FOTJ novels about Luke and Ben Skywalker.

and they ended the Cade and Ania story line rather abruptly.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
  3. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    We got Skyewalkers. That's probably the last Legends stuff we'll get.

And the Jaina black series.

4. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    No.

No. And honestly, all of the old Legends stuff probably should have been taken out of print. It can't do the job of a tie-in - to help promote the parent product. All it's going to do is cause market confusion.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Should the Marvel comics be discontinued since they have no relevance to the MCU? I mean the movies make way more money than the comics. Well the answer is no, they shouldn't cancel it, because they're really good and a lot of people like them!

Taylore and vncredleader like this.
  6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I would love to have more Legends content in book or comic form, but I can't see it happening unfortunately. I would even love completely alternate universe versions of Star Wars stories where the Clone Wars happened completely different than the prequels as brefiely mentioned in the Thrawn trilogy and stuff like that, but alas I think it's a one canon mindset from Disney and LFL.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Maybe Timothy Zahn can write a book about Ben Skywalker in the Unknown Regions. ;)

8. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What? I hope you are being sarcastic there are still people who want to buy Legends stuff.

Anyway I wouldn't mind Legacy novelizations.

9. I would like them to finish the Jaina Solo Trilogy

Darth ExlaX likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    There will be more Legends books some day. Maybe not for 20 years, but there will be.

There was a Batman animated film that came out last year starring Adam West. Neutral Milk Hotel reunited. Anything is possible.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I admire your boundless optimism.

vncredleader likes this.
  12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    If it doesn't happen once the ST is completed I am not sure it is going to happen.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That seems to me to be a more realistic appraisal-if there are no Legends materials published by 2022 at the latest it won't ever happen.

14. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    If we don't get another EU story I think I'll stop caring about new stories altogether. Last chance Disney!

DarthKuriboh likes this.
  15. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    If it hasn't happened by now, it's not going to happen. It didn't make business sense to publish two universes simultaneously when it was ended in favor of Canon and it makes even less sense now.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure that there will be stories again before long.
    The gap between Crucible and Legacy comics, the Legacy comic era, and beyond are what I am looking forward to.
    Also would love to see the Pre-Republic era, DOTJ to TOTJ, TOTJ to TOR, TOR to the end of the New Sith Wars, the thousand years of peace, the PT, Dark Times, OT, and the New Republic and NJO eras.

Just give me the info for the 90 years so I can make up my own stories for the era.

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So what you're saying is down the line we will get a Legends movie featuring Adam West as Jacen Solo? Yes Adam will still be alive, don't anyone say otherwise!!!

18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The main reason why I think if Legends isn't continued in the next two or three years after Ep. IX is released is because the longer they wait the less marketable legends material becomes. Most Star Wars fans are already more invested in the new movies and their tie in material than they are in Legends and that disparity will only increase as we get further into the ST and beyond.

By the time 2022/2023 hits we will have the entire ST and a couple more stand alone movies in the books. By that time they likely will also be gearing up for the next trilogy of movies and you know Disney and Lucasfilm isn't going to be messing around with Legends material when they are trying to hype up their next saga. Come 2030 when the fourth trilogy is likely done it would have been over fifteen years since the last new Legends book came out and I don't see it as being marketable enough at that point to even bother with.

Really (like Darth Invictus said) 2019 to 2022 is the only window of opportunity there is for Legends to get continued in my opinion. There of course will always be the small and loud crowd out there calling for it. But the more time passes fewer people are going to care to the point where it wouldn't be worth it to bother with the old storyline when the current Star Wars story could sell a whole lot better.

19. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    It's parents buying the new books for the children (definitely nothing wrong with it, and I would encourage it, literacy, you know, and growth of fandom)
    However, it's mighty embarrassing to read a young jedi book (junior) when you are 30 or 40 years old.
    there's too few adult novel for the new canon.
    and the middle age men and women who wants their own star wars story continued. There was a window of opportunity when Mr. Zahn was invited to write for disney, but he ended up writing Thrawn (again, nothing wrong with it) but it didn't continue the story post FOTJ.
    We don't know when or how Luke died, or if he's really dead (Force Ghost can be faked, I hope anyway)
    And we'll never know at the rate of 1 adult novel vs 20 ya, vs 100 junior books.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I would most definitely like at least some sort of addendum for the 80 years in between C and Legacy. When Luke died, who Ben married, and so on and so forth. Not even a book-just put dates and names of births and deaths on SW.com or something. The lack of closure is painful.

21. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    A story
    When I was browsing in Indigo (a book store chain) around the Star Wars books (when episode 3 came out)
    a couple asked me since they thought correctly I was a star wars fan. They asked me for recommendation for novel for their kid. (who wasn't present).
    I did not hesitate to recommend heir to the empire, and the couple took a copy.

to this day I don't know If I should have told them that it was a part of a trilogy or maybe I should have recommended I Jedi or Dark Rendezvous (a good prequel book)

oh well, hopefully I made a kid a star wars fan.

22. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    That's a bit different - Marvel's comics serve as new material for Disney to strip-mine for movies and TV shows. The Star Wars novels and comics are advertising for the movies; they're not feeding new material. Even with that, you often see Marvel's comics pick stuff up from the movies.

Are there still some people who are interested? Yes. But by leaving it out there, Disney runs the risk of new/returning fans finding it and thinking it's still consistent with the movies. At best they'll just be turned off from the books (depriving Disney of that sweet sweet free money from the licensees). At worst they'll stop watching the movies too.

Remember, we know that Legends means "it didn't happen". But if John Doe picks up a copy of Spectre of the Past off the shelf because "it's about that guy from Rebels", you've probably lost him as a reader of the novels.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    All you have to do-is put a notice on the first two pages-this is a Legends novel-old continuity published 1998 or whatever.

It's really insulting to the consumer public they wouldn't be able to make such a clear distinction.

24. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I mean, I think it's significant that my local Barnes and Noble has a copy of The Last Jedi (the Reave one) in a prominent place. It is confusing.

25. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Marvel's Ultimate series had no relevance to the main line, yet they trusted their readers would understand the concept of separate universes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.