main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones canon...

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JediART05, Jan 8, 2016.

1. JediART05

JediART05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2015
    Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm and has gotten rid of the EU of Star Wars, does the same go for the novels of the Indiana Jones franchise as well?

2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't think Lucasfilm or Spielberg have made much statements about the canonicity of the novels at any point in time, so they are probably just as canon as they were before. As for what that means, I still wouldn't know what to tell you.

PymParticles and JediART05 like this.
  3. JediART05

JediART05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2015
    I agree. I just figured that since both franchises are in the hands of Disney that Disney would have the final say. But I'm sure Spielberg still gets the final say since he helped create the franchise with Lucas. But at this point...who can say...Lucas sold his soul so-to-speak to Disney and probably only can do what Disney will allow him to do.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm under the impression that the Indiana Jones books and comics and video games existed in a far less prominent situation than the Star Wars EU; they never really "counted," but were just licensed "stuff." Some good, some bad, but just stuff, and that whole extended canon doesn't have the following the Star Wars EU had/has, so it would likely be easier for Disney/Lucasfilm to ignore when the inevitable decision is made to overwrite it. The only additional material that's really up in the air as canon at this point is The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Since Lucas was directly involved with it, they may decide to keep it like they did with The Clone Wars. And Harrison Ford cameos as Indy in one episode, which lends it some credibility. I also doubt that they're going to ever really explore Indiana Jones before the age of 25 in any future recast movies (they keep denying it, but we all know it's going to happen sooner or later), so they might have a need to erase it in the name of creative freedom.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Don't know about canon, but I only count the four movies plus Young Indy Chronicles.

Fate of Atlantis was a good game though.

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    They did mention an episode of the show in KOTCS and Harrison Ford was in one episode, so I'd say that the Young Indy show is pretty much cannon.

CaptainRegor and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015

Is the broadcast or DVD version more canonical?

8. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    Of Young Indy? I'd say DVD version. Lucas has stated that that's the final version of them and how he wants them to be seen. I don't think he's directly mentioned canonicity, but I'd say that's a good bet based on that.

ZodaEX likes this.
  9. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    As far as Lucas is concern the Indiana Jones canon is the four, soon to be five, films and the Young Indy tv movies. The books and comics of the Indy expanded universe are just fun what if stories that have little impact on the movies themselves.

SilentGuy66, MrMojoRisin and ZodaEX like this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But Lucas is (sadly) not involved in the fifth.

11. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm sure he's still involve is some way.

12. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    I'd say he definitely will be. He was still a consultant on new trilogy, I don't see why it would be any different with Indy.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he wasn't. He removed himself from the whole project once they decided to take a different direction. His name has been notably missing from every news regarding Indy 5, specially in regards to the story (which is where he was always involved).

14. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    .[​IMG]

15. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Lucas will still be involved even if it's in a minor capacity. I don't see Spielberg going off to make the movie without discussing some aspects with Lucas and I'm sure Lucas will show up on the set at least a couple of times. Lucas was always more involved with the pre and post production periods of the film. Once the film starts principal photography Lucas pretty much let's Speilberg do his thing and is able to sit back and enjoy. They've generated enough unused story material and action set pieces I wouldn't be surprised if they dust off some of Lucas' and Spielberg's abandoned ideas for the new films. They never let ideas go to waste.

So even if he's less involved than before his presence will still be felt in the film.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I find it weird that Spielberg wouldn't run anything by Lucas. On the flipside, Lucas could just respond with "I'm retried, do what you want."

CaptainRegor and Gobi-1 like this.
  17. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I agree with this. If Lucas is not involved it will be because he's fine just letting Spielberg do his own thing.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Apart from the story, IMO Indiana Jones is just as much a product of Spielberg as it is Lucas. Even if GL is not involved, I'm sure Spielberg will do Indy 5 justice still. I mean he's had just as much involvement (and put his stamp) on all the other Indy films-there's no reason to think with him still involved that it would suddenly feel so different if GL is gone.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Of course there is. As you said, it's "as much a product of Spielberg as it is Lucas". Although I'd say Spielberg is more the executer than the creative backbone. Without Lucas, it will not be the same (wether people like it or not). One can already see it with Star Wars.

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Though I get what you mean by flipping around my "as much a product" comment, I don't really think I can compare SW to Indy in this case-as all the Indy films have had Spielberg, whereas SW was directed by several different directors. That affects the outcome in a unique way here IMO, in a way that doesn't with SW. "Executor" IMO has just as much effect as the creative backone-which to me means we will still see much of the directorial/visual style (and possibly script) in Indy 5 that we've seen before, due to Spielberg's involvement. Basically I'm saying GL's absence won't necessarily make it feel "not like Indiana Jones."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018