main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Marvel are still using techniques that were successful for them over a decade ago. Civil War came out in 2006!

In the same time DC has gone through about 3 different strategies, culminating in Rebirth, which is where they've finally got the edge back over Marvel.

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That'll make for a very short TPB.

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think Civil War was honestly one of the worst things to happen to the Marvel universe, forget sales I'm so sick of the heroes fighting each other. Original Sin and Secret Wars have been the only events I have thoroughly enjoyed, partly with Hickams writing in the universe at the time I truly thought the universe was coming to a wonderfully written end and "rebirth." ANAD Marvel has mostly been a disappointment to me.

Good thing Lucasfilm has a say in what Marvel does with Star Wars, who knows what they would do to the universe with unlimited power!

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You know, I wouldn't put it past Marvel to try that, they'd pad it out with some old issues to make it look like a 4-issue TPB.

It pretty much was in terms of its impact because Marvel's never moved on from it but, also there is what happens at the start compared to previous events, arguably worse, that should have resulted in similar consequence but didn't. You can only conclude that over time the MU citizenry became total woussies.

TrandoJedi and starfish like this.
  5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Is this about Black Panther & The Crew? I heard the cancellation was announced after the release of issue #2 but the series will printed through issue #6. (source 1, source 2)

If it's about another series, I'd be interested in knowing which, just out of curiosity. My search results were filled with the above title but my Google-fu may simply be weak today.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That was the one I heard about, sounds like matters have already changed.

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah, in general I would hope that marvel give series at least 5/6 issues before they give it the ax. In other words a trades worth of new material. That seems like how the SW comics are handled, though I know any thing with Star Wars in the title. Is bound to sell fairly well. I also admit I know next to nothing about the business end of marvel, but still a complete trade of material seems fair. Allows the creative side of the business, the writers and artists, to tell a complete story with the opportunity to tell more.

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I still am a bit shocked marvel canned Black Panther. I mean I did not hear anything about the book in terms of positive reactions but still he is getting an MCU films soon, that is current Marvel comic's bread and butter. Then again I fully expect everything to get canceled after my beloved Arkham Manor got canned after 6 issues and a one-shot. Remember that? DC canceled like 8 books (most of which barely even started) right before Convergence. DC "had to" to make room for the new overhaul for DC YOU which was sure to last.............all of 11 months.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, it's a satellite book, not the main book, which does have some sense to it.

Marvel haven't done it with SW, which suggests LFL are restraining them, but on just about every other popular book Marvel's MO is to put out a second or third similar book. More books equal more sales, right? Well, maybe it used to, but not any more. That particular tactic has been pretty much rejected by consumers - I think that's why DC's Rebirth has proven popular, there's a clear reason for a title existing and it isn't to just make more cash for DC. If their Legacy project lives up to their hopes, they'll start to catch up with DC; if not, they're stuffed.

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Yeah sorry if I spooked you vncredleader, it was a spinoff series, not the main!! Apologies if the way I wrote that confused anyone -- I just realized it might have looked like two things ("Black Panther" & "The Crew") but it's one thing titled "Black Panther & The Crew".

vncredleader and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I would imagine the #1 issue for Black Panther and Crew sold well below Marvel's expectations. It's #1 only sold about 35,000 copies.

vncredleader likes this.
  12. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I don't think you can compare what Marvel does with their main titles to what they do with Star Wars. For one thing the Star Wars comics sell significantly better than a lot of their in house marvel universe stuff.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, they're using a good few similar techniques, they're just not doing the crap that's sent Marvel deep into the doldrums.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Now with all these multiple different Marvel titles that consist of the same character (such as the thee or four different Black Panther titles that people have been talking about recently). Are all those titles meant to be within the same universe or are they their separate one. For instance are the three Black Panther comics out now meant to be telling stories about the same Black Panther character?

15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah other than when the Ultimate Universe was around every Marvel book takes place in one canon. The annotations in the corners and in universe references normally indicate when the issues happen in order. DC is the same way but less connected these days like with Bruce in the Dark Knight book being a totally different person and going through character stuff which is never mentioned in Batman and Robin which has a Bruce who is going crazy for a while which never is mentioned elsewhere. But yeah with marvel it is much tighter. When Spider-Man fights Hobbie (no not THAT Hobbie) in Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man the same month he is dealing with tracking down Kraven in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man we are seeing the same universe and the books clarify which event happens in relation to another.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    There's a handful of their books that are explicitly set in another universe (Radioactive Spider-Gwen, Renew Your Vows).

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh yeah I keep forgetting those. Glad Marvel is doing that again. I have my issues with Ultimate but I like having other earths to see if I get bored of the main one. Take notes Dido!!

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Renew your Vows is great, I only wish me purchasing it could fix the whole OMD thing in the Prime universe.

I think you can compare some of it, I mean crossovers took a while to happen with Star Wars at Dark Horse. With Marvel we are already in the second Star Wars crossover! I think if given the chance by Disney/LFL they would really go nuts with the universe.

vncredleader likes this.
  19. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Any ideas if the Han Solo comic mini series will be collected in an hardcover edition (like the Heroes for a New Hope HC)?
    I'm really hoping for it.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No idea as yet. The OHCs generally have dried up - Star Wars Vol 2 is the next one and, as far as I know, it's the only one remaining for this year.

21. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Pity. I have all of the Marvel's Star Wars HC released so far, and would love to have both the Han Solo and the Anakin and Obi Wan mini series in HC. They both have great art that would look really good in the bigger pages of the HC edition.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, for a while it was thought those 2 minis would get bundled with Maul so forming a 3-minis in 1 OHC as there was precedent for it.

23. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I mean, they still could do that. Maul hasn't even finished coming out yet, and the Heroes for a New Hope OHC came out 11 months after the last issue included, so there is still plenty of time before you write it off.

24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe they're saving Han Solo to bundle with a Han Solo movie tie-in. And then Maul and Mace go together.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

25. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

I think it's more likely we'll see the two Darth Maul trades bundled in an OHC, considering Marvel is about to (re)print Son of Dathomir. Obi-Wan and Anakin could either be bundled with those two or with Mace. Considering the subtitle Jedi of the Republic for Mace, though, Marvel may wait until more titles come out under that branding before bundling it in an OHC.

Where Han Solo will be collected, though, is anyone's guess. It's tough to predict considering there are no current mini series that take place around the Han series in chronology.

A possibility concerns The Force Awakens and Rogue One adaptations, neither of which are collected in an OHC. TFA could be bundled with Captain Phasma, and Rogue One would likely be bundled with the Cassian & K-2SO one-shot. Han Solo could be bundled with either; the former due to Han's importance in TFA and the latter because they're in the same era.

Or, like you said, maybe they're waiting for a Han Solo tie-in mini or the Han Solo adaptation. Regardless, considering we're still getting the Star Wars series in OHCs, I'm not willing to give up on the rest of the Star Wars comics being collected in that format eventually.