main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think you can reasonably say that, Shane. Trump is a simple man in terms of his intelligence and to some extent has created and lived in his own reality for most of his life.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

You can't reasonably say with a straight face that Trump decided to fire him without anyone around,his entire staff of advisors, explaining that firing Comey wouldn't end the Russian investigation.

3. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    You're talking about a man who genuinely believed he owned a majority of a company because he felt like it, even though he was aware he owned less than 50%.

Trump does not operate in the same reality most people do.

5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

You're taking a mighty leap believing that no one around him reminded him or let him know that getting rid of Comey meant the investigation was impeded. That is unbelievable.

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Trump might be politically inept, but his advisers are not - I believe that is the point Shane is trying to make.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Are we talking about the same staff that have allegedly:

Fed him fake news to one up others in the office
    Fed him positive news when he's mad about negative coverage
    Says things like "How about 2 Brownies instead of 6" to explain how they reason with him
    Took away his phone so he could not tweet leading up to the election.

Somehow, I doubt these staffers could convince Trump that it was poor timing to fire Comey. And yes while some may have said it's not going to make the investigation go away, Trump likely heard at least one who suggested it could and chose to listen to that one-even if that one was his own brain. Somehow he rationalized that this was a good decision.

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yes. There is no way his people let him fire Comey thinking it would end or impede the investigation. That is not plausible. Yes, it is possible Trump thought that initially, but not that he was not advised to the contrary at all. I knew what would happen just from watching a few newscasts. His advisors are going to give him all of the advice and fallout and issues from firing Comey.

edit:

In other news, nice to see Congressperson Gabbard putting up a fight against the FCC's plan to allow paid tiered services for the net. I don't know how much good it will do since taxation is already here for e-commerce but neutrality and open access is the last part of the free and open internet still standing. I wish her fight well.

DanielUK likes this.
  9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Shane, it's no different than people who are told that something they believe is in error and continue to believe it anyway. This is a well-documented phenomenon. Most people are able to rationalize things that aren't true, and Trump isn't most people. He's believed things regardless of what he's told.

EHT, unicorn and Vaderize03 like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I believe the New York Times 100 percent. That quote sounds like exactly what Trump would say, and they hire journalists who know how to do investigative reporting.

All three of the newspapers that my father edited, did investigative reporting on a regular basis using sources that spoke on the condition of anonymity; I know of at least one corrupt politician that he and his staff exposed, granted it was a local one.

But I guess the Nixon campaign should have been left alone to bug the Democratic headquarters in peace, rather than the mean reporters at the Washington Post and their "unnamed source" picking on Nixon.

Und Du bits verdammt righting Ich bevorzuge es, Deutschland zu sprechen, um mit Trump umzugehem.

...seriously, as someone who was a languages major in college, I could not even list the number of things I find wrong with a ""Muricans are supposed to speak English and everyone is supposed to speak English to me when I travel and I don't need to learn no foreign languages" attitude.

Love, TRILINGUAL "hysterical left crazy" (a label I will also happily own over "speaks only one language and can't spell 'counsel'")

11. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    So apparently the NYT and the WaPo stories that just dropped were published right after Air Force One went wheels up.

[face_rofl]

unicorn likes this.
  12. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Whatever Trump believed or believes about it is utterly irrelevant. It still would not have stopped or closed the investigation. One of the FBI's purposes, among its many, is counterintelligence and corruption investigations. The Russia investigation(s) fall under both of those in theory.

ShaneP likes this.
  13. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
  14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Trump knows almost nothing about these things.

I don't want to give the impression that Trump definitely believed it would make everything go away, but I think it's certainly plausible.

unicorn likes this.
  15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I wanted to post about this yesterday but didn't. They are claiming diplomatic immunity. That is an attack on OUR citizens. Erdogan also ordered the security on them. Video evidence suggests he forced his security on them. Despicable.

KnightWriter, you are really stretching suggesting Trump doesn't know these things even after surrounding himself with experts about those things. Do you think they just sit around?

16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Again, completely irrelevant to the investigation(s) continuation.

FWIW, I also believe that if Obama had fired Comey when he released that memo about Hillary and the emails thing that whatever they thought they found would have continued to its logical end regardless.

ShaneP likes this.
  17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I think it is highly unlikely to implausible that he didn't understand from his staff and advisors that firing Comey wouldn't end the Russian investigation. Now, Trump could have said,"I understand that but I'm going to fire him anyway." Sure that could have happened. Trump is that egotistical and would ignore advice. But, someone or more than one person told him that firing Comey wouldn't mean the end. I mean, I knew and I didn't have a staff of advisors around. I just watched a few newscasts that said just that. And it makes sense. Comey is in charge of a large bureaucracy with numerous investigations. Getting rid of him would just mean the public face of the Bureau would need to be replaced but not the entire investigative staff.

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

That's pretty much how it goes most of the time:

Me "You need to vote this way. Voters won't be happy about this bill"
    MP "I'll do whatever I want"

Two weeks later

MP "Daniel, why are the local press gunning for my head?!"
    Me "...I did warn you"

ShaneP likes this.
  19. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I'm sorry, I can't stop thinking about this latest WaPo story...

This "senior figure" person is very like on Air Force one right now, along with Trump, and the WaPo reporter in the press pool.

I imagine there's a lot of this going on right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, okay, I'll stop now.

20. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    It's interesting to me that after the... what did Erdogan call it? "mistake", with the Su-24, when angry Russians came to the Turk embassy in Moscow and tore off and burned their flag
    [​IMG]
    and smashed out most of their windows
    [​IMG]
    Not one Turk dared come out and confront those Russians lol

They are only brave like that here, in the West, in Germany, and the US.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Glad to see you've found a way to make this into a race war.

Darth Guy, unicorn and V-2 like this.
  22. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Nope.

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    lol, ban you, more like

Darth Guy, Rew, unicorn and 2 others like this.
  24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Sergey, that's on you. No nation consists of just bad people.

25. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Sounds like a great way to have a small vacation there Sergey.

Anyways, ShaneP funny thing is that they're a NATO member too and in an ally's country too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.