main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 10, 2015.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I am also a massive nu-canon Tarkin fan and I can't help but be sceptical that this final book is going to cause continuity errors in his history.

EG: Book is set 19BBY- Characters refer to him as Grand Moff (Five Years before he earns the title)

I'm not saying there will be errors but I just have an uneasy feeling something will slip through the cracks

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    wasn't there already some miscommunication about what year this series was supposed to take place?

anyway, as long as they call him Governor Tarkin it won't matter what his rank is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Those kids are dead kids. Unless Tarkin is the rescuer. He seems to have a way with kids, after reading Lost Stars. Which is interesting considering his childhood with a camp councilor. From hell.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a reminder that The Rescue is out now in the UK. I added it onto an Amazon UK order so I should get it during the week. I had no luck finding these books locally.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Not read The Rescue yet, just reading Thrawn which mentions the commander waiting for those new TIE fighters.

Not an outright mistake but further fuel perhaps that this series should have not used TIE fighters 12 months post ROTS.

whilst it could be said that not all of the Imperial navy got the TIE fighters straight away, it does seem somewhat odd that Koda's random batallion patrolling wild space of all things should get the latest tech and not say the devestator

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. Helrot

Helrot Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2016
    For anyone that's been on the fence about this series (as I was) Amazon UK have four of them in their 3 paperbacks for £10 deal. I just grabbed them all.

7. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    So just read the final book in the series. Wow that got weird!

the story itself is simple. The Graf kids arrive on the planet Agaris where they had picked up a transmission.

Also arriving at the planet on the Executrix is Governor Tarkin.

The Graf kids are effectively shot down evading TIE fighters by a strange plant on the planet.

Tarkin notes at the Imperial compound his hatred for the planet. He has the parents prisoner but hadn't been able to get the secrets of the planet out of them.

Agaris itself is a planet of mushrooms. Forests of them. After crash landing on the planet, the kids hide from the fighter pilots who are mysteriously attacked . As it happens Tarkin notes that 111 troopers have disappeared on the island.

The point of the Empire being here is mining naturally, a strong theme of the new canon . In response Director Krennic had sent the Imperial droid K8-D4 to assist Tarkin, much to his distain.

Anyway, the kids then come across the sentient species on the planet. Weird humanoid mushroom people that can change form. They have evolved from moss and learnt basic from when the Graf parents first visited. The leader has an unpronounceable name known as Hmmppfff.

The Agari's and the Graf kids team up and try to storm the compound. They are captured but reunited with Thier parent's

Now learnt of the mushroom people , Tarkin deploys TIE Bomber's, which he will return to wipe them out. He trys to board the Grafs onto the carrion spike but the Agari's is able to stop the empire. Tarkin leaves and the Imperial droid is taken out by crater, the Graf droid who has been attached to a mech!

The Grafs leave to Lothal to help the Bridgers and so do the Agari's leave who turn into spores and float off into space .

Probably the weakest book in the series in my opinion. But was pleased that the predicted grand moff mess up never happened. I feared the worst with the arrival of the Executrix, but this was saved.

Loved the rogue one link with Krennic, but we can now add tie Bomber's to the list of fighter's around 1 year ROTS.

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "I met an Agari once. He was a real fun guy." --Anonymous

Barriss_Coffee and Endol like this.
  9. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I assume the Agari are new species made for this series and not one from Legends?

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Read through all six books today. I enjoyed the series even though I'm well above the age group it's intended for. If you have kids into Star Wars/Rebels, I bet they'd enjoy it.

Iron_lord and LelalMekha like this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Plus you got to love David Buisán's art. Its clean, readable, effective and deliciously old-school.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yes, I enjoyed the art as well.

13. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    So no chance they will turn up in Star Wars Rebels then?

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's possible but they'd be a lot older.

They interact with Ezra's parents but he is still a baby at that point.

15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    The Graf archives of course is the basis for the Galactic Atlas that was released last year.

A bit like the Servant's series it would be good of all 7 entries were collected as one big Adventure book!

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It wouldn't be the first time a series of short Star Wars books got compiled into one book - the Lost Tribe series springs to mind. And the Young Jedi Knights series got rereleased as 3-book compilations. It makes sense to me that for the newcanon too, there will eventually be omnibus editions, when it comes to short books.

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Guys, although I'm not too keen on, self-promotion, allow me give you a link to the short interview I did of the series' illustrator, David M. Buisán, for the "Star Wars Sourcebooks" Facebook page. His answers ended up being much shorter than I expected, but what really counts is that the man is a terrific artist, and I hope to see more of his work in the future.

18. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Maybe we'd get some timeline fixes too.

SilentGuy66 and Sinrebirth like this.
  19. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Wouldn't go astray.
    Timeline wise though the appearance of Ezra's folks makes it quite clear and Cavan Scott said at SDCC in the lucasbooks panel that it's set 16 years before New Hope? I think.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see some things cleared up. According to TV Tropes's page for the books, the events of Tarkin had already happened by The Rescue. Maybe this is a case of misjudgement? I read it myself - and I can't see any proof - Tarkin is still referred to as Governor and not Grand Moff, the art shows his badge as 4x2 and not 6x2, etc.

Wookieepedia's page for the books, also still dates them as 18BBY, not 16 BBY.

Perhaps the Bridgers began transmissions early, were discouraged for a while by what happened to the Grafs (capture by the Empire) and how close they came to discovery - and decided to hold off for a while? So Azadi's references to the Bridger transmissions in Rebels, don't have to pin the date of the books down.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Ezra is in this book series though as a new born. There was some clarification that Ezra is about 6 months old.

And he of course is born on Empire Day if I recall.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not really compatible with what was apparently said at the panel:

I'd be interested in seeing if anything really nails the time down.

23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Perhaps iucounu could help make things clear?

24. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Oh, don't rely on me for that! I could have been mistaken. ! But surely that timescale works in the Rebels era no?

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ezra being "really 3" in that book isn't absolutely impossible. Him being "really over 5" however (as per the "Bridger broadcasts begin in 14BBY" reference, is really pushing it. I prefer to keep the events of The Steal as being well before 14 BBY.