main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Deleted/Missing Scenes Thread!

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Avnar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    My guess Ricardo would be that the original idea might have been for K2 to be reprogramed by Cassian on Jedha. Notice that he calls him "the captain" not by name which seems to imply less familiarity than we see in the film where you assume they've been working together for a decent length of time. The film even mentions people on Jedha wanting to reprogram K2 which could be a reference to this original idea.

Again though I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the lines in the trailer were not ever intended for the film, stuff like Baze saying "they destroyed our home" whilst on Eadu to me again just doesn't seem like it would make sense dramatically(the statement maybe true but there would be no reason for him to have to restate it at that point) BUT it does give you a quick hand intro to the character that works for the trailer.

The final script for Rogue One just doesn't go down the path where you can easily pick out one liners or quick reaction shots to sum up characters well IMHO and perhaps that was realised from the start and extra stuff was shot with the trailers in mind?

2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    "What will you do when they break you?"

That was one of the scenes I was quite looking forward to. It seemed very powerful and raw.

Saw was essentially telling Jyn that if they kept pushing forwards, her mind would finally shatter in a million pieces, simitly how glass breaks once enough pressure has been applied. Despite my disdain towards the "dark" and "depressive" nature of R1, from the trailer I presumed that Jyn would have a psychological break down after battle after battle. The breakdown happened but it was sparse and wasn't nearly effective(not to mention the scene that transpired happened so quickly and was done the same pace as the latter).

I really did love that line and wished they kept the scene in the movie.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Porkins2099

Porkins2099 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2016
    Looking back at some images, the rebel prisoners from Jedha intrigues me a lot. It suggests a different scenario during the Jedha scenes. Well, assuming those are true rebel pilots and not partisan pilots.
    Another thing is that I think there must be a different ending that LucasFilm hasn't spoken of. I don't buy the idea that the only other ending was with Jyn and Cassian surviving in an escape pod. I don't believe that was the ending originally filmed. My guess is that Jyn was the only survivor, judging by a certain video in which we see Alan Tudyk (in motion capture costume) dying while Cassian is (apparently) already dead. Unless that's his "fake" death and he would reappear later to help Jyn, but I doubt it.

Although there are things that I was really looking forward to see, such as Jyn and Cassian at the heart of the battle against the AT-ACT, there are some other things that turned out better than expected. I liked how Jyn and Cassian's personalities were different from what the trailers showed. Apparently, Cassian was meant to be an amiable sidekick figure, but in the final cut he was more Jyn's equal, having both some frictions. It worked nicely instead of having a duo dynamic similar to that of Rey and Finn.
    And having Jyn and Cassian dying together... My goodness, I loved that. Can't think of a better ending for them. And Krennic's death was also a poignant moment. Much better than a simple (and unsurprising) death by Force-choking.

4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
  5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Is that Cassian on the ground?

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    11-4D

Sure is! Must have been the end of the "running across the sand avoiding the AT-ACT's" scene that they decided not to go with...

7. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Yep. In the original ending, they would steal the plans, then go back to the sand and run while returing fire.

Then they would reach the base of the antenna (which was separate from the main building as seen in several trailers), and it seems that Cassian would die, followed by K2. They did not make past the door, which suggests they stayed behind to secure the place while Jyn was trying to transmit the plans.

I suppose that Bodhi would very likely die the same way as he did in the final cut, because in the trailers we can see the stolen imperial cargo shuttle exploding.

Chirrut and Baze, I don't know. Most likely, even before K2 and Cassian, probably fighting on the beaches.

From an interview with Gareth, he told that his original idea would be for everybody to die except Jyn. She would escape alive, but I do not recall about the ship she would use.

By the way, I think this shot is in the Bluray extras, in the chapter that talks about K-2SO.

whostheBossk and 11-4D like this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That was an early option (Jyn surviving), but they never filmed that version of events. By the time the cameras rolled, Jyn's fate was sealed.

9. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Yeah, it seems Gareth shot a bunch of stuff before setting on a final script. He more or less says this in the inverviews, he would shoot first :) and later see if he could make it work.

So this is why it would be impossible for then to release an alternative cut of Rogue One. They have only a few pieces of the puzzle.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  10. Porkins2099

Porkins2099 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2016

That's interesting. So that means that when the first teaser trailer was released, the ending scene for Jyn wasn't filmed yet? Gareth was just waiting to be greenlit by LucasFilm to shoot the ending he had in mind all along (Jyn and Cassian dying together)?

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Just watched the film again today and those pilots must have been related to the downed and still smoking x wing that we see when Chirrut takes out those stormtroopers. Leaving in that downed x wing just raises questions of what they cut out for me and why the x wing was there in the first place.

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah. That's a relic of a different story. Though ultimately, the raising of that question makes it all more interesting. My headcanon says it belonged to one of Saw's partisans. We see an old X-Wing later outside their base, as they are fleeing from the DS blast.

AndyLGR likes this.
  13. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    While we don't know if he shoot another ending for Jyn by that time, we have some evidences that point to this. But most likely they never finished the scenes (CGI, etc).

I suppose the real final version of the ending was shoot only during the reshoot period.

14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    If interviews with Edwards are to be believed then it seems the intension was always to have a good amount of reshoots after the initial editing phase.

Honestly I kind of suspect that the reworking of Scarif wasn't just about making the material effective but also potentially shifting the length of that whole sequence. I can imagine an original plan being more along the lines of Endor in ROTJ taking up half the film or more and having several sections to it with lulls in the action, stealing the plans and transmitting the plans from separate locations seeming to play into that.

Personally my view is that the real meat of the drama in Rogue One happens before Scarif with Jyn and Cassian's decision to commit to it, Scarif does obviously provide a climax to their story but with less room for character development that what came before. If Edwards/Lucasfilm came to the same conclusion during the initial editing process then I think it would obviously make sense to focus the reshoots on simplifying Scarif and extending the earlier sections of the film.

AndyLGR and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    moreorless12 Agree 1000%.

They asked Gareth to make a war film, like Saving Private Ryan. And I guess he made the ground battle sequence the focus of the movie.

Later the top execs saw that it was a full war movie, but the Star Wars vibe was not there. Then they Star Warsified it during the reshoots.

A change of focus. Gareth did exactly what he was told, maybe too much.

Snafu55 likes this.
  16. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Was there a line from the Hammerhead corvette cut from the DVD/bluray?

I could swear that the captain says what are they thinking, it's mad or something in the cinema release before the 'Corvette 5 locked on target' scene

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In what context was Vader in the original version? The photos released seem to show him either on the Death Star or a star destroyer.

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Your head canon is right! It has the same markings as the other x-wing seen o/s Saws base :cool: He had (at the time of RO) at least 6 x-wings known as the Cavern Angels! As per the visual guide...

19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Lucasfilm will shortly announce that my headcanon is now official canon. :)

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I really want to see the footage that Forest Whitaker shot before the reshoots.

[​IMG]

Avnar likes this.
  21. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I suspect that we'll eventually see a cache of deleted scenes, but not for many years. There's just too much of it.

22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm not sure we'll ever see them. Maybe snippets in some featurette in a decade's time. I guarantee we won't see a new home release at least until there are several standalone films to release as a bundle, and even then there probably won't be new content dedicated solely to Rogue One.

EHT likes this.
  23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Out of curiosity, why not? Is there not a business case to be made for releasing deleted scenes in the future as part of either a Rogue One special edition release, or a bundle of anthology films?

24. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    They aren't really deleted scenes, though. They're essentially a different film. You're looking at close to an hour of footage shot for a very different story, and releasing such footage opens the can of worms regarding the very messy behind-the-scenes shenanigans. It'd be incredibly confusing for most people unless context was provided, and that's something they want to avoid.

Couple that with the fact that deleted scenes are a niche concern, and the result is that there's no real reason to release them and every reason to keep them locked away.

EHT likes this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Right. I get that. Which is why I believe they won't release any of that footage for many years. But ten or fifteen years from now, I feel like there would be very little harm in cobbling together some of that footage for a bundle release. The further in the past it is, the less "controversial" it is, I think. I could see, for example, in a Rogue One-Han Solo-Obi-Wan "Dark Times" Anthology bundle, four or five extras on the Rogue One Blu-ray (or whatever tech we're using then) labeled "early Jedha scenes" or "alternative Scarif ending," etc. The fans would absolutely eat it up, and there would be limited or no controversy about it, IMO.

But perhaps I was just spoiled by the LOTR DVDs...

Ricardo Funes and Sarge like this.