main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    This thread is exactly what I was looking for. I am going to take my first dive into the new canon literature finally. I plan to read most of the good Star Wars books eventually, but I am trying to figure out where to start. Is there a certain reading order that you guys recommend? Or perhaps a good first book as an introduction to new canon literature? Thanks!

2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Reading order is difficult and either chronological order release order has benefits. The books I'd reccomend are Catalyst, A New Dawn, Thrawn, Servants of the Empire series, Rebel Rising, Battlefront: Twilight Company, Lost Stars, The Aftermath Trilogy, and Bloodline. This list is chronological order which works fine. The issue comes if you want to build around the movies and TV series. In that case, Catalyst, and Rebel Rising work best right before Rogue One. A New Dawn should be read before Rebel season 1 and Thrawn should be read around season three of Rebels, either before or after. In these cases release order doesn't matter because they impact the shows so much and really add to what's on screen. Other than that, order doesn't matter and they can be read at any point.

A good book to start with is more difficult. If you want a story where politics play a large role either Catalyst, Tarkin, or Bloodline would be good. Battlefront for a military focus. Catalyst, Thrawn, A New Dawn, Servants of the Empire, and Lost Stars all do a great job at demonstrating how the Empire functions and consolidates its control over the galaxy. The Aftermath Trilogy is good for showing what happens right after Endor. For developing the Rebellion either Battlefront or Lost Stars are great. What kind of story interests you the most?

J7Luke likes this.
  3. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Did anyone ever narrow down the original Praxeum class before Legends got closed? Kirana Ti, Streen, Kyp, Corran, Kam, Kyle, Tionne, Brakiss, Gantoris, and Dorsk I know, but I think we're still missing a few.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wookieepedia lists "Madurrin" as part of the first class of 12 (though Madurrin's own entry makes it vague if she was one of them or not), and "Dal Konor" as joining around the same time as Kyp, Cilghal, Mara etc - the other two members of the Class of 12 are left undefined, with several possible candidates (Desann is implied to be post-class of 12):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Praxeum

After the transition from Rebel base to Jedi academy was complete, Skywalker recruited twelve students: Tionne, Dorsk 81, Kirana Ti, Kam Solusar, Brakiss, Streen, Gantoris, Corran Horn (under the alias of Keiran Halcyon), Madurrin, Kyle Katarn (who soon left due to his concerns about the dark side of the Force), and two other cadets (possibly Havet Storm, Keyan Farlander, Cray Mingla, Nichos Marr or Harlan). They were joined shortly thereafter by Kyp Durron, Mara Jade, Cilghal and Dal Konur.

A Chistori student named Desann proved very talented, but struck down his training partner Havet Storm in a fit of rage. He fled the academy, only to return later as a Dark Jedi determined to destroy the academy with a huge invasion force of the Empire Reborn.

5. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Wasn't Dolph(Kueller) among the original twelve?

6. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    That was really helpful, thanks! I might take on the Aftermath Trilogy first, as I was really curious about the events that transpired right after ROTJ. I'm not sure though, they all sound really good.

JediKnight75 likes this.
  7. Clone Commander Cassius

Clone Commander Cassius Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2016
    what is the best place to see the clone unit of the 91st Mobile Reconnaissance Corps in action?

also which is a better read - "Clone Wars Volume 8: Last Siege, Final Truth" or the "Force Unleashed" novels?

8. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    No problem! I'm glad I helped.

Aftermath would be a good place to start. Or A New Dawn because it introduces an important character from Aftermath. It's not essential at all, but it creates a fun experience. Also it's the first NEU book that was released. But in all honesty, any book would be a good place to start, so it's best to go with what sounds most interesting.

J7Luke likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Clone Wars, no contest but ensure you've read what leads up to that volume.

Personally, I'd go for publication over chronological order but it's up to you.

As to where to start, I'd go with A New Dawn. It was the first of the new books and it set up a lot of the infrastructure all the rest would draw on in one way or another.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If I remember right so did the novelization of The Phantom Menace mention something along the line of that the ancient Jedi was originally an meditative order who then became a more worldly organisation. Do I remember right? And if so could somebody quote that passage?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The blockade had been in effect now for almost a month. The Republic Senate continued to debate the action, searching for an amicable way to resolve the dispute. But no progress had been made, and at last the supreme chancellor had secretly notified the Jedi Council that he had sent two Jedi directly to the ostensible initiators of the blockade, the Neimoidians, in an effort to resolve the matter more directly. It was a bold move. In theory, the Jedi Knights served the supreme chancellor, responding on his direction to life-threatening situations. But any interference in the internal politics of the Senate's member bodies, particularly where an armed conflict between worlds was involved, required Senate approval. The supreme chancellor was skirting the edges of his authority in this case. At best, this was a covert action and would spark heated debate in the Senate at a later date.

The Jedi Master sighed. While none of this was his concern, he could not ignore the implications of what it meant if he failed. The Jedi Knights were peacemakers; that was the nature of their order and the dictate of their creed. For thousands of years they had served the Republic, a constant source of stability and order in a changing universe. Founded as a theological and philosophical study group so far back that its origins were the stuff of myth, the Jedi had only gradually become aware of the presence of the Force. Years had been spent in its study, in contemplation of its meaning, in mastery of its power. Slowly the order had evolved, abandoning its practice of and belief in a life of of isolated meditation in favor of a more outward-looking commitment to social responsibility. Understanding the Force sufficiently to master its power required more than private study. It require service to the greater community and implementation of a system of laws that would guarantee equal justice for all. The battle was not yet won. It probably never would be. but the Jedi Knights would not see it lost for lack of their trying.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know how long it did take for Palpatine to get his spirit from Endor to Byss and carry out the essence transfer?

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Dark Empire Sourcebook says "over a year".

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Presumably that was because he had possessed Jeng Droga, and it was Droga who had trouble getting to Byss:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jeng_Droga

15. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    So I just started reading Twilight Company. It's pretty good so far but I am confused by something though. It says that Stun Batons are ineffective on Stormtroopers due to their armour. However In Rogue One we see Jyn taking out troopers with what I presume is a Stun Baton. Is this a contradiction or is it not an error and it has been explained elsewere?

16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think the thing Jyn hits the stormtroopers with is just a regular blunt weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vthuil and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  17. LBT-00

LBT-00 Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2016
    I believe Jyn's weapon was called a truncheon, as she uses the so-called "truncheon surge" in Battlefront

vncredleader likes this.
  18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    You realise that is just another name for a baton right? A regular blunt weapon.

19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The thing Jyn uses is a stun baton. RR goes into this.

20. LuckyGungan20001

LuckyGungan20001 Jedi Knight

May 14, 2016
    Are there any good books (Legends) featuring Darth Vader in a prominent role, apart from Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader? Similarly, are there any books featuring Thrawn in a prominent role, aside from Outbound Flight or TTT?

21. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013

Shadows of the Empire is great for Vader. I take it you have probably already read the film novelizations, as those are great for Vader too.

As for Thrawn, I think he may have a prominent role in Choices of One. Maybe it's just a supporting role though.

Barriss_Coffee and Tanjint like this.
  22. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Been seeing screenshots of a comic book where Dooku sees holovid footage of Maul killing Qui-Gon- what comic is that from??

-T

23. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    There's a lot of great comics featuring Vader. The Lost Command, Ghost Prison and Dark Times are all really good.

Barriss_Coffee and spicer like this.
  24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    This one?
    [​IMG]

I am trying to find info on it, but found nothing. It looks a bit like the ROTS comic though it may not even be from a comic

Edit: found it
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxy_Series_7
    It is a trading card

Barriss_Coffee and Tanjint like this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That'd be Joe Corroney. It's apparently a piece from the Topps Galaxy Series 7.

Tanjint and vncredleader like this.