main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Unfortunately, it is kind of the same for me, even though I really liked Aphra in the Vader series. But in this series nothing seems to be really as challenging or dangerous. It's just a fun, safe adventure with some rather generic fantasy tropes thrown into the mix. It's like at the end of Vader when Aphra didn't even lose an arm or anything, she got off too easy. She always gets off too easily in this series. Aphra should be terrified about Vader discovering she's alive, instead she's prancing around telling people her name.

I like the mean Aphra that Aaron wrote so I'm looking forward to Screaming Citadel as well.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

I do get what you're saying, but I still think some words just don't fit the vocabulary of the GFFA.

Basically, if you can explain the origin of the word in-universe, I'm okay with it. There can be "Emperor", cause there have been Empires in the GFFA. "Galaxy" is self-explanatory and we do use that word to describe other galaxies, not just the Milky Way.

But for Aphra to use the word "fascist", it would imply that there existed a "Fascist Party" in the Star Wars universe, otherwise what's the etymological origin of that word in the GFFA?

But yeah, you could just say that all the characters are speaking Basic and Aphra really said something totally different, but our word "fascist" is the closest to translate it into English. But when I read the issue, it completely pulled me out of it and broke the 4th wall for me.

And I think we got completely off topic with this discussion :)

La Calavera, DelRiego and Daneira like this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Why would Fascist be questioned and Republic not & Democracy not? The Empire already uses a Nazi style flag as seen in Rebels and elsewhere. So Fascist for the Empire or say a Junta( for First Order) isnt all that outlandlish to hear used. A Star Wars version of Latin appears to exist, along with throwbacks to Roman Italy/Empire, Ancient Greece and many other places, peoples and cultures past and present. The Imperial March also apparently is a real theme in-universe. lol.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Firstly it is a proper noun now. Secondly, it's really no different than 'democracy' - one derives from Greek and the other Italian. I think what you're identifying is that one is more ancient, and thus we don't really recognise its origins, and the other is more resent.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I do think Aphra has had a fairly easy, quippy go of it, although I thought that the emotional stakes with her old man was what carried the first arc. But I do agree with the consensus that something horrible can (and probably will) happen to her at some point, otherwise she's going to get away from everything too easy.

But, to be fair, Vader freakin' shot her out an airlock into space. That was a bit of a thing. And it's only been very little time in between that.

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yeah, but the spacewalk stint didn't result in any lasting damage. She basically shrugged it off. But sure, Karma or Justice or however you want to call it will eventually run out for her. I just hope it won't take too long because for me, she isn't quite funny enough to read the story just for the comedy aspects.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I agree we will probably see Aphra's death eventually (and I imagine she won't live to the Battle of Jakku time period). I do think they are going to try to keep her around for several more years though. I'm sure Marvel is taking a great deal of pride in how popular their original character has become and it is not something they are going to want to kill off anytime soon.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nah, perma-killing popular characters isn't really Marvel-style. Aphra will be around for quite a while. That said, a cybernetic limb or two would look good on her.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gillen does do some pretty mean things to his characters, it just takes a long while. Now if Gillen decides to bring Aphra's story to a close, it's up to what Marvel and/or Lucasfilm would do after.

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    What will be interesting is seeing how they go about keeping her a character worthy of telling stories about for years to come. She's going to have to have some significant impact on the overall expanded universe (more than her just traveling around looking for rare artifacts) for them to continue to include her in future stories.

I imagine we will probably get a hint of what Marvel's future plans for her character are by the end of the Screaming Citaldel arc. Does she leave the big three on friendly terms and agree to help them out in the future or does she try to double cross them.

BigAl6ft6 I imagine Gillen's original plans for the character were to kill her off at the hands of Vader in issue #25. Then I'm guessing Marvel stepped in and said their was more they wanted to do with her and that was when her surviving came into play.

11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Aphra will probably run out of luck someday, but I don't think this means that she's going to die. She may be injured physically or psychically or something like that.
    The preview for issue #11 tells us that a dark figure from Aphra's past decides to make an appearance and this may be the start of such a potential storyline. Could be Vader, but I believe it's a new character, maybe it is the person who directly killed her mother.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That would be one thing I would definitely be dissapointed about is if this series ends without exploring her mother much. After all her mothers death is really the main reason she is who she currently is.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  13. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    That's my stance also. A storyline that explores Aphra's mother and what kind of a relationship Aphra had to her and what she thinks of her mother today would be very interesting and has potential.

Maybe there's a good chance that we'll get such a story since we already got one about her father.

And if Marvel doesn't have anything planned in that regard - well, I know that Marvel officials do read and even post on these forums, so there's nothing wrong if we give them ideas, right? :p

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. We know that Aphra wouldn't have tried to burn down her dad's house if she wasn't deeply attached to her mother. She also took her mothers name as her middle name (though not sure if that was something she did herself or was a name she always had).

I imagine the story with her mother would go the traditional route of child was living a happy life with parent/parents until something happened to parent/parents. And said event deeply scarred child which began the process of taking much of the happiness and light out of them.

I was a fan of those Xena and Hercules shows back in the day and that was pretty much how every bad character in the show became bad. They had a parent get killed which destroyed their world and they devoted the rest of their lives seeking revenge.

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think her story should end before RoTJ happens by Vader's hand. Giving her around 3 more years.

16. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I hope Aphra survives for a while. I really enjoy her character. Really unique and a good character. I can see her surviving to live with Luke on his island. :p

17. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I agree.

I agree.

I agree.

No. If she went with Luke to Ahch-To, where is she now in TFA/TLJ? Did the battle puffins ate her? :p

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    And Rey will ask her. 'If you had known what that tattoo would look like when you were 70 would you still have gotten it'???

revan772, Revanfan1 and Darth_Voider like this.
  19. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Aphra just became my favorite sw comics character.

Luke/Aphra! = OTP. Rey needs a dark coloured Mother for genetics to work in gffa.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean it doesn't even have to be that. You could just have her and Luke hook up, and then he goes "oh crap, it was not a good idea to date/sleep with this woman, she's got issues."

It'd be an interesting new layer to his character (well not exactly new if you know about Mara Jade, but new for THIS continuity at least).

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    By all indications Aphra's not into men, so she's not going to hook up with Luke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I saw some indications that Aphra is into both men and women. While she clearly dated Sana and found Tolvan cute, she also had "romantic adventures with ruffians", as told by her university teacher in Doctor Aphra #1. That might imply that she is bisexual and that is also my current headcanon. But it would be cool if Marvel would explicitly confirm her sexual orientation one day.

But even under the assumption that she is bisexual, since she's more into the "ruffian type", she's most likely not going to hook up with Luke anyway.

(Though it is still fun to ship Luphra.)

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't know. I'm sure in GFFA people with Jedi powers would hold the same kind of appeal that say professional athletes do in our world.

I have my doubts that they would ever hook Aphra and Luke up as well but it has more to do with the supposed age difference than it does the type of person Luke is. They havn't confirmed Aphra's age so far but they give strong hints that she is around Han's age. I don't think they would ship a lady in her late twenties/early thirties with a 19 year old.

24. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Which is sad. Such relationships are today more accepted than in the past. Macron's wife is even, what, 25 years older than him?

I don't think that anything speaks against showing such a relationship in a Marvel comic, at least not for me.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

25. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    hm....

I was at thinking at 0 ABY she would be 25 at the most....
    I read the comics are you sure she was dating a girl named Sana? Which issue?

All I read was her dad saying "she had terrible taste in women" regarding Tolvan but that was all...