main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I guess then that you haven't read the main Star Wars comic, right?

2. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    not at present, no.

3. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    You might check it out. Sana Starros is a character who appears in that series. In the Rebel Jail arc, which was released right after the Vader Down crossover and which also starred Aphra, it was heavily implied that the two were once a couple before Aphra betrayed Sana. Since then, Sana hates Aphra.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think you really have to push it in order to make Aphra as young as 25. Not only does she act like Han's peer but that flashback where she tries to burn down her dad's house is supposed to take place eighteen years ago. If Aphra is currently only 25 that would have made her only 7 in that flashback. And that definitely is not a 7 year old. She looks like someone who is either in the middle of puberty (or about to begin puberty).

5. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

Pablo Hidalgo said Han hasn't a canon age yet (he was 29 in Legends). We don't know Aphra age for now

PS: In "A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farmboy" Luke said Han isn't too old than him

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also by that logic, Han and Leia should never have gotten together since he'd be noticeably older than her (her and Luke are the same age after all). Yet that's THE iconic SW couple nonetheless.

La Calavera and Darth_Voider like this.
  7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I am not really a fan of Aphra/Luke. I like their interactions together, but their personalities and values are way too incompatible, and I wouldn’t want Aphra to change her ways just to be a suitable wife for Luke.
    That being said, if there was a pitched idea about making them a couple and the only reason why that was vetoed was because of the age difference, that would be very hypocritical, not to mention sexist. Their age difference is no way bigger than Han and Leia’s age difference.

Again, I don’t like the couple because of their extremely un-matching personalities, but I still wish that, if Luke is given a wife in the ST, that said woman would be older than him. I think it’s quite amusing the idea that the Skywalkers tend to be attracted to older people (see Anakin, Leia).

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I don't think their interactions necessitate them becoming a couple. Especially in the latest issue, Luke's doing his Everyone's Good People thing which is more to set up his attitude towards Vader than anything else. Him seeing the good in Aphra doesn't need to be "rewarded" with romance.

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

True. However there is a difference in stigma between older men/younger women relationships than there is in older women/younger men relationships. Not that I have anything against it as I largely date older women myself. However there still is a stigma out there about it.

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Meh, there's also plenty of stigma surrounding same-sex and bisexual relationships. I don't think Marvel should bother itself with any of that kind of stigma.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    To be clear, this is all theoretically. And it wouldn't be some grand romance necessarily. It could simply be a spur of the moment thing, or perhaps Aphra has ulterior motives (that seems like something she'd do if necessary), and Luke realizes that it was a mistake later on, etc.

12. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I would like to know people's thoughts about the Ordu Aspectu's "Rur" and "False Rur".

Now according to the Rur in the computer, Rur put his own consciousness into the computer, leaving his body empty, a "ghost" violated it and became "False Rur".

My question is which Rur is actually the fake Rur? I'm thinking the computer Rur is actually the false Rur. i.e. Rur didn't actually transfer his consciousness into the computer, but a copy went into the computer, a thinking machine, if you will.

Thoughts?

13. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    That's pretty much it. He created a copy with his memories. The copy thought he was the real Rur and killed the original. Rur is dead but Rur 2.0 is conscious.

I really like that story. Kieron Gillen is my favorite canon creator. I hope Rur and Triple Zero team up and try to take over the galaxy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I get the feeling Rur is going to be a supporting character / main antagonist in the book once Screaming Citadel finishes.

15. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    and now we have a new candidate for who Snoke is.

16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I kinda like the idea of Luke and Aphra being a couple for a short while.

Luke is around 20 after all with all the "biological needs and urges" that entails plus he can go with the "saving the girl from her wicked ways" attitude that many men have, especially when they're still inexperienced. And Luke IS extremely inexperienced when it comes to women and relationships in general. If I remember correctly, the only woman Luke has ever been with romantically and/or physically so far is the chick from the Heir to the Jedi novel. There could have been some unknown farmer girl back on Tatooine, while he was still a kid of course, but judging by how much Luke wanted to get away from Tatooine, it wasn't anything serious.

While Aphra can have Luke as a plaything to use for her own amusement and goals, and then ditch him afterwards when she had her fun.

But if they really do decide to go with Luke/Aphra thing, I hope they won't go the boring predictable way of Luke changing Aphra story trope, where Aphra realizes that caring about other people and selflessness ain't that bad [face_sick]

Darth Zane likes this.
  17. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    that chick from the Heir to the Jedi novel.... =(( How could I betray her like that?

oh wait, yeah we are at the NEU. but still.... TT

NEU Luke/Aphra! fan here.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That is pretty much exactly why I don't think they will bring Aphra and Luke together. First I don't think they will bring a 'plenty of fish' type of situation into Star Wars (plenty of fish is a dating site that a lot of people use as a bit of a hook up site). And though I think it definitely is possible that they will give Luke a relationship storyline. At the same time though if it does happen I think it would be with someone who he doesn't meet until after ROTJ.

19. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    it may send the wrong message to sw fans (casual relationships). However, it wasn't like Mara was marriage material for Luke the first time she appeared.

20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    True. However they turned that 'bad girl' into Luke's wife. I just don't see them bringing the hook up culture that is out there into Star Wars. For starters it is something that is slightly taboo. And also who really cares about reading stories about make believe characters getting together like that.

In my opinion I think the closest they should come to that type of thing in Star Wars is what they showed in the Lando comic where they showed one or two pages with him in bed with that nameless character. I don't think they should do that kind of thing with two characters that we as readers are supposed to be invested in though.

21. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    as I said, I'm against the casual relationships or "hook up culture" myself. I want a stable relationship between the Doc and Luke. monogamous of course. I'm not saying she should give up her rogue archaeologist ways, but I'm hoping her and the future Jedi and work some way out for mutual advantages.

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That is the type of situation I want to see to. However it would be difficult to weave that plotline into the universe given the time period and in my opinion would fit better once we get into the post ROTJ stories. For instance would Leia have kissed Luke in Ep. V if she knew that him and Aphra were involved?

23. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

This, in my opinion, would go totally against Aphra's character and even Luke's character as well.

I cannot imagine a situation where Luke would be with a woman that is "morally grey" to put it mildly. The only way Luke would be with Aphra is if he would see it as his mission to "save" Aphra. In which case, I don't think Aphra would be interested in this kind of patronizing relationship. Aphra is crazy, but she's also strongly independent and I don't think interested in the kind of "until the end of universe" type of relationship Luke would probably want. But that's how I read her character.

And Heir to the Jedi is part of the NEU, making the chick from that novel the only known relationship Luke had so far :)

I'm getting off topic here, but I hope they will add some more relationships in Luke's pre-ESB life. Maybe with some fellow Rebel pilot? I know these are basically archetypical mythological characters in a fictional movie universe, but I still find it extremely unbelievable that Luke would be alone the entirety of those 3 years between ANH and ESB. He's a bloody Hero of the Rebellion after all!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    ooooh.. Heir to the Jedi.... Not Heir to the Empire. My mistake.
    sorry Mara, I'll always love you. See you and Luke together in a brand new legend series novel soon.
    ----
    I need more. Aphra novel please!

25. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I think the writers are definitely teasing something between Aphra and Luke in Screaming Citadel. Aphra is touchy-feely with him and the writers pretty much confirmed that Luke is attracted to her. However, I don't think it will happen anytime soon, and their present interactions are mostly to establish mutual admiration and friendship. At this point, I would be surprised if the writers even included a kiss on the cheek or a hand-queeze.

Both of them also have more pressing romantic issues and character development. Luke's pining over Leia is ongoing, so the idea of him being seriously interested in anyone else at this point doesn't really fit. Anything that will happen between Luke and Aphra needs to wait until after Endor. On Aphra's end, she needs to resolve whatever nastiness happened with Sana.

Our only real insights are Aphra's lines to Sana, "You should learn to get over your crushes!" and "I'm sorry about the way I left things. If you were a blaster I would have known how to deal with you..." from Rebel Jail. Gillen recently said that what happened was "bad dates" and that Sana never told Han (or anyone?) because it would be embarrassing for her. My reading is that Sana was crushing on her friend, set up hang-outs without telling Aphra about the crush or that she thought of them as dates, and eventually made a move... only for Aphra to either laugh or freak out, then literally run away.

MartyAvidianus likes this.