main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Why assume the Ewoks were executing prisoners for food? For all we know they could be engaged in the perfectly innocent slightly less evil behavior of chowing down on troopers who were killed in the battle. Although technically they would still be guilty of "prevention of honorable burial".

By the way, "is cannibalism a war crime?" is now in my search history, so I hope you all appreciate the sacrifices I've made to bring you this information.

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    You're on a list now.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Played music with their helmets - not their bones and skulls. In the Legendsverse at least, we saw references to Imperial prisoners getting shipped up from Endor to the Rebel fleet.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Tom Angelburger made it clear that the Ewoks ate the stormies.

I don't know anyone can stomach such atrocities.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ate slain stormies, yes - ate prisoners after capturing them alive, no.

The scene in question:

There are celebrations all across the galaxy. The claws of Palpatine have finally released their grip and free people pour into the streets of Coruscant, the plazas of Naboo, and the corridors of Cloud City.*

*And yes, even in the cantinas of Mos Eisley.

They cheer for the end of a war and the end of the Empire - and some, like Mon Mothma, are already cheering the start of a new Republic.
    But nowhere is the celebration equal to that on the forest moon of Endor, where the joy of freedom is mixed with the exultation of a battle won against impossible odds.
    "Yub nub!" chant the Ewoks, whooping, dancing, drumming, drinking, and feasting.

*Perhaps, reader, it would be better not to ask where all this fresh meat came from.

There's Wicket, who got his wish for adventure. And old Chief Chirpa, who had thought his adventures were behind him.
    There's Romba, who won justice for his lost village. And Teebo and Paploo and Asha and many more who had flung themselves into an unwinnable battle and won.
    Many Ewoks died and they will be mourned tomorrow and for many days after. But tonight the Ewoks burst with the thrill of gaining all they have fought for:
    "YUB NUB!"

Daneira and Grievousdude like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There's nothing to say that it's slain soldiers -- and to the contrary, he says the meat is /fresh/.

We know that Ewoks roast their food alive instead of killing it in advance. See: ROTJ (1983).

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Fresh" can be "killed that same day".

Han & company, may be the exception to the rule - as part of the special tribute to the Ewok god that they think 3PO is.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't believe that you're straining to find an interpretation that would justify the conduct of war crimes instead of going with the plain intent of the movie.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a U-cert movie - I can't go with an interpretation that portrays the Ewoks as engaged in 18-cert atrocities, even "offscreen".

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's why it's offscreen.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Princess and Sinrebirth like this.
  11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I don't know how anyone can stomach stormtroopers, either.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Are you questioning my taste?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Caliban and Daneira like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's just desserts. Serves them right.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or - it serves the Imperials right for shooting Ewoks for sport during their occupation of Endor (specifically mentioned by Angleburger) - and before that, Republic restauranteurs capturing Ewoks for food - through the way they were treated in the past, they came to believe that sentients eating sentients, was standard operating procedure in the universe.

What goes around comes around - and in this case - the Imperials got what went around.

Darth Caliban and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Those men and women are fighting to protect the galaxy. I can't believe you'd begrudge them some minor entertainment.

But see, there you have it. The Old Republic was ultimately at fault. Yet another cycle of violence initiated and abetted by that negligent government. This is the future Mothma wants?

And lo, her government instituted comfort Ewoks. The cycle of suffering continues.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Landb likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Wookieepedia's description:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ewok

As a manner of recompense for saving Endor, some Ewoks agreed to travel offworld to help Rebel veterans recuperate, working with Doctor Arsad as "therapy Ewoks." Therapy Ewoks were offered to those who had suffered the horrors of war, such as decapitation or witnessing tragedy, and needed help with their recovery.

Probably based on the way cuddly animals were used in real life in therapy. Doesn't sound like perpetuating suffering.

19. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Wait a second...

Those who had suffered decapitation were offered a Therapy Ewok? What am I not understanding here? How does one recover from that?

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...I hope the editor actually meant mutilation (the guy in the interlude this comes from, though he got a therapy droid instead, had lost a leg, IIRC).

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think the actual intended word is amputation.

Daneira likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Good point, that's probably it.

23. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I could also see "dismemberment," it just surprised me, heh.

Revanfan1 and Daneira like this.
  24. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    [​IMG]

25. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I don't care what universe you're from --- that's gotta hurt.