main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah but they're Jedi Knights. Knights fight. They gallivant around the Galaxy defeating evil wherever they find it. They don't sit in one place and meditate for decades, unless they're being hunted by an Empire and the Galaxy turns against them.

That's why I find Luke's thirty year absence from galactic affairs to be horribly selfish. The Jedi Knights are the guardians of peace and justice. How much has Luke really done in the name of peace and justice while he's been hiding out on Ach-To and wherever he was before that?

The core of the Jedi beliefs is their compunction to serve others. Wasting your talents and time meditating in the remote wastes when there are people out there can use your help is selfish.

As Obi-Wan said:

"You are thinking about yourself when you need to be thinking about your service."

The most admirable thing the Jedi did in FOTJ was help liberate slaves across the Outer Rim. They saw a cry for liberation and justice and they stepped up to help.

ChildOfWinds and JediMatteus like this.
  2. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    well the only thing I can think of right at this moment is:

1. Luke and Snoke is one and the same (Luke turned dark side for whatever reason and Snoke persona is the way he represent himself to the galaxy at large)

2. Snoke took his Jedi Force powers. Luke fought Snoke and lost, and snoke was able to take all midichlorians from Luke.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Luke wasn't hiding out for 30 years. He was researching Jedi lore and attempting to rebuild the order. That's literally all we know so far. For all we know he could have been helping war-torn planets recover. (And he was still associated with the Rebellion around the time of Shattered Empire.)

Just because he wasn't involved in politics doesn't mean he wasn't doing anything. The war was over, and he was done fighting. I think he earned that, especially after learning the value of refusing to fight.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The problem is that Shattered Empire was only six months or so after Endor. If it wasn't for TFA, I would think that was a good start, as it showed Luke saving a Jedi artifact from the Empire. However, by the Bloodline novel Luke is basically non-existent, as are his Jedi. The antagonist POV is mostly centered around politics (and she comes off as a sycophant and lackey so not that that bright), but still that shows how little... presence Luke has in public memory.

Though without the old EU, where Luke often played a role in stopping the Imp warlord of the week, Luke probably would be low-profile. Even explaining his role at Endor would be... problematic. Not like saying "Oh, Anakin Skywalker had a change of heart and turned good" would fly with most of the public. Leia still has issues with it years later, though she remembers Luke looking content (or something like that) when describing how their father was at the end.

The old EU kind of rushed the Jedi re-introduction with the JAT, but for all its flaws it at least set up a frame work for Jedi to eventually be re-introduced to the galaxy. By Bloodline, it sounds like Luke is still in the set-up stages, and that's decades after RotJ. If not for TFA, and say instead it took even sixty years to start sending out mostly trained Jedi out into the galaxy, I wouldn't mind so much, but instead Luke tried, it all went wrong, and now Luke is off on some planet doing something. Or he's given up and Rey will need to cheer him up. Who knows, we'll find out in December (though I fear it'll be the latter explanation).

Post-NJO took the Jedi too far in the special commandos action hero direction. I miss the old days, when the idea was to have something like one Jedi per sector, traveling around like a knight errant (an idea that popped up again the KotOR/Old Republic Kerra Holt series). Of course, that was during peacetime, when multiple Jedi didn't need to unite to take on galactic armies. Even the prequel era status quo, pre-Clone Wars, wasn't that bad. I didn't mind the idea of the Jedi as kind of special investigators, sent out to deal with big problems with the authority of the Republic behind them. They were too close to the Republic by the end, but they were still a major force for good in the galaxy.

Of course it took centuries for them to reach that point, whereas Luke is basically starting from scratch all by himself (we'll see how Rebels end) and the nu-canon New Republic certainly isn't competent to support an effort like that. Organizations sometimes start with just one person with a good idea and then gathering followers and refining that idea and techniques, etc., and it does take years, if not decades or longer. The annoying thing is that we've seen the Jedi at their height (or at least near their height) in the prequels, how bad things were without them in the OT, and in the sequels, we still don't have the Jedi back, not even one. ANH and ESB both had Obi-wan and Yoda there as the archetypes for what we would see the Jedi as, but TFA didn't have any of that. And no, I'm not counting Maz's five minute lecture to Rey. Chirrut spouted more Jedi stuff in Rogue One than most of TFA. Doesn't help that Kylo Ren is literally an in-universe wannabe, not having much of Vader's dignity. Vader fit as the dark knight (and I think even earlier drafts showed that, at least according to that The Star Wars comic adaptation DH years ago), Kylo is just a berserker.

I prefer Jedi to be wise and to avoid conflicts, but to also be nigh-unstoppable if the occasion calls for it. I actually liked TPM's version of that, with Obi-wan and Qui-gon first sent in as negotiators then rescuing Amidala and going back to the Republic to get reinforcements. Though the prequel era Jedi Order was far from perfect, but they were trying.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Luke isn't non-existent. He's not in the public eye. That's a big difference. If we're going to judge his accomplishments by how famous he is in the New Republic, then yeah, it's not going to please people. And that's fine.

I'm just pointing out that we still have no idea everything that happened between RotJ and TFA. To say Luke did nothing during that time period because he's not in the public eye during the time of Bloodline is doing a disservice to his character, IMO.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is, the Jedi have been forgotten again after Endor, perhaps even worse than during the Dark Times of the Imperial Period, which is completely the wrong tone for the sequel to RotJ, especially 30 years later.

7. bmickey

bmickey Jedi Knight

May 7, 2015
    Luke is Vader's son also not only a Jedi hero. Leia became a political outcast when this fact became known widely. Her son became Kylo Ren and presumably destroyed the newly started Jedi order (or school, or whatever). In my opinion that could easily lead to a self imposed exile, not only because you'd feel responsible (remember, Yoda also went away and chose not to confront the Emperor directly after their clash​, he was hoping for a better time and also a better political climate when overthrowing him would be possible - as Jedi were denounced by Palpatine and generally, by everyone) but also because you wouldn't have strong support either. I think Luke, although brought back his father to the light is seriously undermined by Vader's legacy, especially considering how little Ben Solo turned out. So, I guess he also, just like Yoda is aware that his part is almost over, his responsibility is first and foremost is to prevent​ similar events, and to pass on what he had learnt. So, I think Luke is not lost, he went away because there was no way he could have stayed. The people of the Galaxy don't have a singularly positive view of the Jedi (thanks to the Clone Wars and a few decades of Imperial propaganda), but have a strong distrust and fear against anything or anyone connected to Vader (except Imperial revisionists). So, I'm still hopeful for our Luke in the ST and see his destiny a truly heart breaking one (but morally exemplary), as it seems he is on a similar route like that certain hobbit, who saved his beloved Shire, but not for himself.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think the Jedi have been FORGOTTEN in Luke's time but I think part of the issue is we have to separate fan projections of what they've been expecting Luke to do from what we know of the universe. Luke has been staying out of galactic politics for the past thirty years, which is somthing that's a good thing because kriff galactic politics. It's also been a time of peace and justice throughout the galaxy so there's no point to be involved.

Next, we know Luke's Academy has been destroyed and it's probably he's the Last Jedi Knight but we should wait to see how that turns out. We can thankfully cross "Dark Side Luke" off the possibilities of what's going on or Dark Side Luke is Snoke because we see Luke training Rey to be a Jedi in the trailer. Also, they've said there's going to be a reunion of the OT and unless they mean Chewie and Leia, there's not that much left to choose from.

Edit:

FYI, if anyone wants to read the first three chapters of my Space Opera inspired by ROGUE SQUADRON and Luke's adventures, go here. They have an excerpt up!
    https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpre...-lucifers-star-lucifers-star-1-by-c-t-phipps/

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am sorry, but RotJ screams for the good guys to be in a position of strength, not this no Jedi and a New Republic that doesn't deserve the name nonsense TFA left us with.

10. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    they could have named resistance organization better.
    I think they could have called Leia's organization the guards.
    I mean, resistance... Resist what exactly? Does the new republic oppress Leia? Has it become an authoritarian regime like the empire and therefore must be resisted?
    Or resist the First Order, which is a shadowy organization that New Republic refuses to recognize its existence. So officially it doesn't exist. Um, so the resistance is resisting the NR's idea that FO doesn't exist?

So confused about the name resistance. Why?

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The First Order exists publicly. There's treaties with it. They resist it.

They just think the First Order is weak and not as big as the New Republic.

In EU terms, they see the Imperial Remnant but not the Hand of Thrawn.

12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    It seems silly that there is a resistance resisting another resistance but that's just me.

MartyAvidianus and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think I mentioned in another post the issue is Leia sees the First Order as the Russian Federation and they're seeing it as North Korea. And it turns out it's actually the Soviet Union from Command and Conquer with all the super-tech and fanatical hordes instead.

Also, not to put too fine a point, SpecForce Trooper but aren't you dismissing its threat exactly what the Republic did?

14. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    lol

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    There shouldn't even need to be a Resistance, if the New Republic was actually worthy of the name. It is a basic mandate of any government to be able to defend themselves from threats, and the New Republic failed spectacularly at it, which is why they aren't worthy of the name.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, because the Old Republic was such a great government in that regard with no standing army and all that.

The New Republic didn't want to start a war and chose appeasement. It's not like ANYONE has ever done that with a bunch of black wearing jackbooted thugs before.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, but the Republic actually controlled most of the galaxy, which provides some leeway with that, and their threat was ultimately an internal one, while the New Republic clearly doesn't and is facing a bit of both.

It was stupid in the case of the Axis powers in the lead up to WWII and it is stupid in the case of the New Republic.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Also the New Republic should be better than the Republic of old. Honestly one of my biggest grievances with the EU was having the NR being so incompetent. Democracy shouldn't always fail.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The idiot card is idiotic, it was the biggest flaw of the NJO and has laid a terrible, terrible foundation for the ST.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I don't think they had an lower house. It's all bunch of house of lords. Do they even have separation of powers? Are they using US system or Canadian system? or European System?

edit:

I can't abide those NJO weakling Jedis/NR.

They can't decide on anything. Worst of all Borsk knew the threat but just to spite Leia (cause he hate her) he won't authorize anything.

21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Where are we getting the 30 years? The fall of his order was only 6 years ago. We don't know what else occurred the last 20 some years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Bloodlines says Luke has been avoiding galactic politics and good for him.

23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Politics baaad

But out of politics does not mean not leading Jedi or not doing missions if Luke is spending 30 years doing nothing but traveling and meditating it is a massive waste of this character. I miss the eu already
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
  25. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    good for him?

Just so that he can go to exile (does he farm? How is he getting food)? and take off his boot and relax, one faction destroys another faction utterly and his brother in law gets killed by the boy he trained.

good for him? Seriously? What kind of Selfish Luke are we really talking about here?

He's supposed to be a Jedi. Even if he were a normal human being, he should have been involved and did his best. Hell even if he were sick and disabled he should have at least try something. Hell, even if your are on the FO's side of things, he should have helped evil triumph, did his contribution.