main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Apparently in the novelization David admits he did not create the eggs.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yep. Found an egg leftover from the Engineers and froze it to preserve it. He is trying to emulate their creation.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Did he say something like that in the film and I missed it?

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Nope. Ridley changed the script. It was in the script. Scott changed it. [face_plain] It would completely change the whole creator theme and was one I would have preferred.

But it's pretty clear Ridley just wanted to cast aside as much of the Engineers as possible for this film and go all David/Walter. I just didn't care to think that David created protos/xenos from his own experiments. Better to have him chasing the Engineers creation and he creates his own nightmare.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Well, does David then specifically state in the film that he created the eggs? If not it is still possible to use the idea that he just found it/them.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I read a random theory at the eggs are mutated / deformed / transformed Shaw's reproductive organs, yikes!

I do like the theory that David was basically building off the backs of the black goo to Neomoprh to Xenomoprh textbook. He's snooty enough to SAY he created it but really he just sort of tinkered with a formula that was already there in the first place.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

[face_thinking] I can't remember. I don't think he does. I think it is just implied. But the script originally showed the Engineers egg and David's comments about it and his own pursuit of their creation.

Maybe Scott is leaving it open? But the film just casts aside the Engineers from the opening(literally) so I'm thinking he doesn't want to go in that direction at all.

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Enjoyed the movie. Wasn't what I wanted but it was still a cool Sci Fi horror flick. I really hope Alien: Awakening gets made though. Prometheus was the best thing to happen to this franchise in years.

Pros:

- Just really beautiful cinematography
    - Great atmosphere
    - The Walter/David scenes
    - Intense action

Cons:

- Feels Prometheus in nature, but is a pretty run-of-the-mill/straightforward Alien film
    -Shaw, man. They really didn't treat her story right.
    - The action scenes had some really fast editing. Like jeez.

Other than that, it was a fun experience. Glad I saw it.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It also had a few really great lines. I think my favorite would be
    "So, David, you're going to tell me exactly what's going on or I am going to seriously **** up your perfect composure."

CT1138 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lindelof on where things may go from here:

“I think that one of the conversations that we had at the end of ‘Prometheus’ is, Shaw and David have basically locked in on the coordinates of the planet where the Engineers came from. What does that place look like? Ridley called it Paradise. What happens when they land on that planet? It doesn’t feel like they’ve gotten there yet in ‘Covenant.’

‘Covenant’ felt like it maybe was a detour prior to them arriving at the place of origin so I don’t want to spoil any place that he might still be wanting to go, but the conversations that he and I had about where the story goes next were largely about the place where the Engineers were from and less the events of ‘Covenant’.”

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Scott still suggesting multiple films left to go before we reach Alien.

We’re heading toward the back end of the first Alien so [using CG to utilize Ellen Ripley, the question of which this is a response to] may be feasible. I don’t think it’ll… but Ripley’s going to be somebody’s daughter. Obviously. We’re coming in from the back end. The time constraints, of what’s the time between this film, where we leave David going off heading for that colony, I think you’re probably two films out from even considering her.

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, but I don't know if there enough interest in the general movie going audience to flip the bill for these movies to go into production. Covenant grossed about $232 million globally, but only grossed about $73 million in North America with a production cost of $97 million. If Scott moves forward, he'll need to cut production cost and make a better film than Covenant.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of making these films personally connected with the original films. Meaning, I really don't care for a relative of Ellen Ripley to be part of the next Alien film. It's not Star Wars where there's a need for a "Skywalker."

On another note, I thought Covenant was a cop out of what was setup in Prometheus.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Keep in mind that Covenant hasn't finished its global run yet- its final gross is expected to end up around $300m from estimates I've read (and that same article I linked to above also repeats).

If that ends up being the case, AC will have performed almost identically to Prometheus relative to their budgets- the usual "green light a sequel" 3x multiplier milestone.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Covenant did get more critical love than Prometheus did and while the box office return wasn't spectacular it's not exactly a bomb. And I can't see Fox suddenly wanting to stop making Alien movie, especially if Scott is raring to keep making them. However, I do feel, and it probably will happen, the "David story" will probably wrap up in the next installment and all the "7 more movies!" stuff Scott keeps saying wouldn't be a thing.

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    the nicest thing i can say about this movie is that danny mcbride can act

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say, McBride's character Tennessee is, shockingly, is probably the first genuine "trucker in space" we've gotten in the series since, like, the crew of the Nostromo in 1979.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    But the other films didn't feature trucker in space characters?

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That is true but a huge part of the appeal of "Alien" is the average blue collar joe caught in a horrific alien nightmare, I'm kinda surprised it took them 6 more movies to get back to that.

... okay, fine, there were "normal folk" in Alien Vs Predator: Requiem but they weren't the space truckers, dangit.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well I think that was intentional though- the cast is always a different type of group: Alien had truckers, Aliens had soldiers, Alien 3 had criminals, Prometheus was scientists, AC is colonists, etc.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I just came across this video and thought I'd share:

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Alien: Resurrection had Joss Whedon characters.

The2ndQuest and TX-20 like this.
  22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    1:20-1:26

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So one more video was included on the BD (which I just got around to going through), "Advent":

(The actual video in the disc is the footage on the right side by itself)

It actually explains alot- or at least verifies a lot of things left otherwise vague.

The deleted scenes included on the disc don't add much to the film- there's a few small moments here and there and a couple more Walter/Daniels setup. Cool little moment when they're first crossing the courtyard at night and they drop a flare down the central hatch to reveal another Juggernaught (maybe Walter can escape now? ). There is an extended version of the opening Weyland/David scene that is interesting- it basically has David go more into the fates and nature of the gods. Perhaps spells things out unnecessarily. Also a dream/flashback with James franco's character with Daniels on Earth, refining his design for their planned cabin.

But, chronologically, there's nothing else past the egg chamber scene. Which is a shame. I was kinda hoping for more flashbacks dealing with Shaw or the Engineers or Weyland. Alas.

Still going to try to edit together Prometheus and AC together into a single film. I'm certain I can get such a monster down to to 3.5 hours but I'm hoping to hit 3. Main trick will be finding more than the two obvious points in AC where one can jump back to Prometheus and regulate AC to being a frame story. But I already have some fun editing ideas... just need some free time.