main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    thank you both very much!

dang, that'd be a great mini....sidious converting dooku...

-T

iPodwithnomusic and vncredleader like this.
  2. Clone Commander Cassius

Clone Commander Cassius Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2016
    kinda getting burned out on clone wars era stuff - which is my favorite but still getting burned out. what happens between epi 3 and 4? I understand that covers a timeline of nearly two decades. Im not interested in order 66 survivors, so what happens between purge stuff and epi 4? I hear Force Unleashed is supposed to cover the beginning of the rebellion, so is it a good novel or is it something that's 'just okay'?

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Force Unleashed game has a pretty good, self-contained story, while the novel expands a lot of the story. The second game has a good story too, though it's much shorter and ends on a cliffhanger.

I haven't actually read the novels, but I've played the games, and the central story is a solid one.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Also if you read Ghost Prison, read Star Wars: Empire: Betrayal -- it was the predecessor, although they can really be read in either order. Your opinion of the story may be altered by the order you read them... I think most of us read Betrayal first because was released years earlier, but Ghost Prison tells the story of the events that led up to Betrayal. They're both excellent Vader stories.

5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Does Dooku know that Palpatine is Sidious in canon? I think the ROTS novel said he did from what I remember but I could find no mention of him knowing on his Databank page.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It would be a bit hard to be The Apprentice and not know - especially since the two are running the war between them.

Daneira likes this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Definitely, although Sidious/Palpatine did have have servants who didn't know: Sate Pestage knew (I think), but Kinman Doriana didn't. In Outbound Flight, he thought Palpatine would be just as angry if he had learned Kinman was serving Sidious...he definitely thought they were two separate individuals. I'm sure the Separatist leaders (not Dooku) thought Palpatine and Sidious were separate individuals.

As for Grievous, I think Labyrinth of Evil made it seem like he thought they weren't the same person either.

Dagobahsystem, Daneira and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And CW - Grievous is very aggressive toward him, grabbing him by the front of his robes.

PCCViking likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I always figured Dooku was the only one who DID know.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, there were a few others.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly the only Separatist at least.

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh yeah definitely check out Betrayal. Anything from early "Empire" is worth reading

spicer and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Pestage realized Palpatine was a Sith pretty early on, I think when they had to rescue Plagueis at the secret society initiation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any non-human dressed in something resembling modern military uniforms?

EDIT: also, what colours where the jumpsuits that the YJK:s had as semi-uniforms?

14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016

Not sure what you mean by "modern", but of course there's Thrawn, not just in his Imperial uniforms but in his Chiss Expansionary Defense Force outfit:

[​IMG]

If the Jacen and Jaina on the book covers are anything to go by, they had a few different colors.

This is the most common variation:
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this is supposed to be a different color or just the lighting:
    [​IMG]

Entirely new uniform on this one:
    [​IMG]

Raynor Thul is wearing a different outfit than the twins:
    [​IMG]

Another new uniform:
    [​IMG]

And yet another:
    [​IMG]

Bottom line, not sure if there is an official Jedi Praxeum uniform, and maybe the Solo twins just like to wear matching outfits.

vncredleader and Gamiel like this.
  15. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    The uniform on thrawn in the above pic is basically a ww2 German style National Revolutionary Army (Chinese) uniform circa 1930-1945.

edit:

his new uniform on the cover of Thrawn is reminiscent of ww2 japanese uniform circa 1930.
    although the Fengtian clique (Chinese) army of Zhang Zuolin in Manchuria also sported that style in their army also (before 1928)

SpecForce Trooper and Gamiel like this.
  16. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    So the Amazon kindle store has slashed the prices of all the Canon Marvel Star Wars collections to £1.80 each at the moment. I'm not really a comic reader (with a few exceptions I've never really bothered with them as they are expensive) but I am running out of SW novels to read so when I saw that the prices on all the collections or TPBs as I think they're also called is so cheap, I decided to check some out. I tried Obi-Wan and Anakin and thought it was pretty good and I'm currently reading the first volume of the Vader series which is fantastic. I've gone ahead and bought the other volumes of the Vader series but are the other Marvel comics worth reading? Are some better than others? I'm having to restraint myself from buying all of them right now.

17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Good call on picking up Obi-Wan&Anakin and Darth Vader. I know I may sound like a broken record on these boards by recommending Lando on a regular basis, but, hey definitely check Lando! Other titles worth reading are Kanan, Han Solo and I'm not sure if Darth Maul and Doctor Aphra are available on the Amazon kindle store since both aren't finished yet.

18. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks. I'll definitely get Lando as I am interested in seeing more of him. The others available for me are
    Star Wars volumes 1-4
    Han Solo
    Chewbacca
    Princess Leia
    Kanan volume 1 and 2
    Shattered Empire
    Poe Dameron volume 1

There's also Vader Down which is slightly more expensive but not by that much. This seems to be one that follows on from other comics though.

19. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    If you're enjoying the Vader series, you're going to love the Doctor Aphra books. I would recommend the SW series volumes 1 -3 plus Vader Down. And the 2 Kanan trade paperbacks.

20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Vader Down can be counted as a part of the main Star Wars series and Darth Vader. So if you're reading Darth Vader I'm afraid you'll have to read Vader Down too, otherwise you'll find a gap in the story...

In my opinion Star Wars is a hit and miss series, and more a miss than a hit. Personally I don't recommend it. Poe Dameron, Chewbacca and Priness Leia are ok but only if you are a big fan of the characters, otherwise skip them. Shattered Empire is a waste of time and money (although the art is great). Again, just my opinion.

21. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Where abouts does Vader Down occur in the timeline? Should I carry on with the Vader series , then read the main series and go on to Vader Down or does it occur between the 2 series?

22. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    it looks like in between to me (simultaneously) . All a plan to get you to read all comic series.

23. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Vader Down is a crossover series between the main series and Darth Vader, but I think that reading Vader Down and Darth Vader only will be sufficient. Vader Down fits between Darth Vader Volume 2 - Shadows and Secrets and Darth Vader Volume 3 - The Shu-Torun War. Check out these two links for more details, and scroll down where are issues are listed in release&chronological order:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Darth_Vader_(Marvel)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Vader_Down

Grievousdude likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you've the money and don't own any of the trades, there is a big DV Omibus due Sept time.

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm currently reading the crystal star novel (2/3rds through)

So far I wouldn't say it's the best novel but I've read worse stars wars books. HOWEVER from what I've heard from the community, crystal star is a book that's meant to be avoided like The Holiday Special. Can someone explain to me why?