main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Movie and TV Character MINI Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Welcome, one and all, to the Movie and TV Character Mini Draft.

If you've never done a draft before, you might want to review some others:

The Comic Book MINI Draft
    Comic Book Draft XI
    Jedi Draft 24
    And so many others. Google can be a powerful Ally.

The Premise is the same. GMs draft characters assemble teams, They send in "numbers" to send those teams to battle.Judges decide the winner. An overall winner is crowned victorious.

This is a mini-draft because:

• We're limiting it to just 6 GMs
    • We're shortening the scope of "playoffs"
    • We're not eating up time hashing out a draftable list
    So, here's the basics:

The Participants

The GMs - Six of you will sign up. You'll each submit twenty characters you want to be able to have selected in this draft. Then, you'll be assigned a position in the draft order (one through six) which will reverse every round (more on that later). Then, you'll name your team. Then, five times, you'll send in numbers for your team (more on that later) and possibly argue for your characters.

One note on the submission of characters. The commish and Judges can and will veto characters that are too powerful or abstract. No manipulating reality or time or other "game breaker" mechanics. Have fun. If the character is completely out of, say, Superman's league, don't put them on your list. Or if what they do is manipulate time or reality. Or if they yell out "It's Morphing Time". Or if they have two hearts and travel in a police phone box.

A second note on submission of characters. To avoid ambiguity, please put the TV Show or Movie they are found in parenthetically after the character name. For example, Bill (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure) or Al Bundy (Married with Children)

The Judges - Pre-assigned as heels1785 and PRENNTACULAR. They will add 20 more characters each to the list. Help veto dumb suggestions (there will be some) to the list. And then judge battles (more on that later). I will act as a judge in the case of them disagreeing.

The Commish - That's me. I'll judge when needed. I'll add another 20 characters to the list. I'll veto characters when needed. Randomize the draft order. Post matches, and generally keep the draft moving.

The Process

First, GMs sign-up.

Second, we compile (and veto parts of) the character list. GMs, please post your twenty characters within 24-hours of signing up.

Third, we Draft. Let's say our six participants are Kermit, Animal, Piggy, Fozzie, Scooter, and Gonzo. I would randomize the order and we'd draft this way:

Round 1

1. Fozzie
    2. Scooter
    3. Gonzo
    4. Piggy
    5. Kermit
    6. Animal

Round 2

1. Animal
    2. Kermit
    3. Piggy
    4. Gonzo
    5. Scooter
    6. Fozzie

And we'll do that for twelve rounds. So, everyone ends up with 12 characters.

Fourth, we go to battle. We will do a round-robin, so every GM will play every other GM. Everyone gets a total of 5 matches.

Each round, you'll send in numbers. You go 1-10 and put one character on each number (leaving 2 on the bench). So, let's say Animal Drafted the following team: The Fonz (Happy Days), Robocop (Robocop (1987)), Hancock (Hancock), Matt Parkman (Heroes), Oliver Queen (Arrow), Agent J (Men in Black), Agent K (Men in Black), Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man), Winifred "Winnie" Sanderson (Hocus Pocus), Lieutenant Dan (Forrest Gump), Don "Wardaddy" Collier (Fury) and Kesuke Miyagi (Karate Kid). Animal might send in the following numbers:

1. Winifred "Winnie" Sanderson (Hocus Pocus)
    2. Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man)
    3. Lieutenant Dan (Forrest Gump)
    4. Matt Parkman (Heroes)
    5. The Fonz (Happy Days)
    6. Oliver Queen (Arrow)
    7. Agent J (Men in Black)
    8. Agent K (Men in Black)
    9. Kesuke Miyagi (Karate Kid)
    10. Robocop (Robocop (1987))

Bench: Hancock (Hancock) and Don "Wardaddy" Collier (Fury)

Each round, you send a Private Message to the Commish with your numbers.

There are two optional strategies:

1) Prep Time - a Character gets advance notice of who their opponent is. They get a small DNA sample and a computer file of known weaknesses, as well as any powers and abilities the character has, and any weapons they typically carry. They also get a link to a YouTube video with a trailer about their opponent - you can think of it showing off a fighting style, top end feats, etc. - the video lasts about 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and is set to terrible 90's rock music. They are not given enough of the DNA to create anything, and they aren't given access to weapons (like Kryptonite) they wouldn't normally be able to access. You can use a single prep to give a character 24 hours and do this twice per round, or use a double-prep and give a character 72 hours and do this once per round.

2) Trumps - You can send two characters together on the same numbers. The first time they are called, they fight together (creating a potential 2-on-1), but the second time they are called they forfeit (giving you an auto loss, or a draw if both trumps hit a forfeit). You can trump any number of characters (so, three or four at once) just every additional character added to the trump is another forfeit (i.e. a trump of four characters would result in 3 forfeits).

So, using these strategies, Animal Could send:

1. Winifred "Winnie" Sanderson (Hocus Pocus) (Prepared)
    2. Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man)
    3. Lieutenant Dan (Forrest Gump)
    4. Matt Parkman (Heroes)
    5. The Fonz (Happy Days)
    6. Oliver Queen (Arrow)
    7. Agent J (Men in Black) TRUMPED with Agent K (Men in Black)
    8. Agent K (Men in Black) TRUMPED with Agent J (Men in Black)
    9. Kesuke Miyagi (Karate Kid) (Prepared)
    10. Robocop (Robocop (1987))

So, when the commish calls number 8, both Agent J and Agent K go into Battle, and then on number 7 there's a forfeit). (Could go the other order, as the call order is randomized) When the number 9 is called, Mr. Miyagi will enter battle having spent the last 24 hours getting ready, likewise for Winnie Sanderson when number 1 is called.

So, when the Commish calls number 3, both Cap and Falcon go into battle, and then on number 8, there's a forfeit. (Note: order is randomized, so 8 could be called first). When the commish calls number 5, Ant-Man will enter battle having spent the last three days analyzing his opponent and coming up with a strategy.

Once all numbers are in, the Commish announces battles. GMs can argue, and then Judges judge. We go through all ten numbers. If one GM gets more wins than losses, they win the overall battle. If we're tied (5-5, 4-4-2, etc) we go to teams. In a Team battle, all 12 characters fight, and the teams have 48 hours to prepare. Then, we judge an overall winner.

We repeat this until the round robin is done. If a GM emerges undefeated from Round-Robin play, they are declared the champion If no GM is undefeated, we take the top two ranked GMs (first ranking is overall wins in round robin play, second ranking is individual wins in round robin play, tiebreaker is Cleveland Trivia)

And I think I covered everything. To sign-up, Copy this list and add your name:

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    1)
    2) dp4m
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)

heels keeps saying I'm a #2...

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    1) a star war
    2) dp4m
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)

here for this

4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    1) a star war
    2) dp4m
    3) DarkEagle
    4)
    5)
    6)

I like how Lt. Dan morphed into Captain America + Falcon :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Ha! A nice copy and paste error. I'm keeping it.

6. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Is there a rule for multiple incarnations of a character?

There wasn't last game, just thought I would ask.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll allow them.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I thought everyone thought my suggestion to not allow them was good? :p I specifically brought that up!

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    what? you did? where?

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    1) a star war
    2) dp4m
    3) DarkEagle
    4) Darth Punk
    5)
    6)
    Jabba-wocky

DarthIntegral likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

heels had to ruin it of course.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    you're not helping yourself deepee

also I was agreeing with a star war, who has impeccable judgment.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "Helping myself" -- would you vote for me anyways? :p

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    probably not

dp4m likes this.
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Can we reserve spots for peeps?

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    5) Jabba-wocky

17. a star war

May 4, 2016
    List:
    Joe Armstrong (American Ninja)
    Death Bed (Death Bed: The Bed That Eats)
    Clara Oswald (Doctor Who)
    Olivia Dunham (Fringe)
    Holtzman (Ghostbusters)
    Hanna (Hanna)
    John Carter (John Carter)
    Judge Judy (Judge Judy)
    Kung Fury (Kung Fury)
    Master Pain *Betty* (Kung Pow: Enter the Fist)
    Howard Moon (The Mighty Boosh)
    Miss Piggy (The Muppets)
    Dae-su Oh (Oldboy)
    Frank Drebin (Police Squad!)
    Spike (Portlandia)
    Mad Dog (The Raid)
    Ace Rimmer (Red Dwarf)
    Wolfgang Bogdanow (Sense8)
    Nigel Tufnel (This is Spinal Tap)
    Peter Loew (Vampire’s Kiss)
    Gary (Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell)

heels1785 likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

amazing

19. a star war

May 4, 2016
    You can't overrule Judge Judy. This is the People's Court.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Why would you pick "Olivia" over Agent Jessup when you're choosing from Fringe characters? Is this the sort of amateur competition we have going on here?

21. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Because Olivia is bae

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I am pretty sure Agent Jessup was better in every conceivable way.

23. a star war

May 4, 2016
    If you want her so bad feel free to add her.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Is it time to start picking characters?

25. a star war

May 4, 2016
    No you're supposed to add 20 characters to the list of draftable characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.