main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: On The Front Lines

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Jan 13, 2016.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure, the stormtroopers looked like they were "Designed by Apple in California TM" but that was basically it. Their ships were hideous.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Mantis Shrimp Walker?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
  4. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    JediBatman and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Well at this point in the franchise I'm not sure what else they could cover since the distant past and near future are both being kept vague for future storytelling possibilities. Though even if the book is focused on "big battles" I wouldn't mind them dropping some tidbits about the year after Endor, or the early Empire fighting pirates and Separtist hold outs.

Daneira likes this.
  6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think that's precisely the effect they're meant to give - brand new, not yet lived in or really tested.

Jedi Ben, MercenaryAce and Vthuil like this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah. First Order stuff is so stylized because they care more about appearances than any other faction in Star Wars - because they're not really an actual functioning galactic society. They're either totally brutalist or shiny and sleek, with no actual life.

Revanfan1 and BobaMatt like this.
  8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's one of the reasons Kylo Ren's battered helmet and tattered, dusty cloak stand out.

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    EGTW had a teasingly brief section about the Reconquest of the Rim, and ever since then I've been dying for more information about the Listehol and Western Reaches campaigns. Western Reaches is still canon, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Sure wish those posting images from this book would reveal any images of those Nadiri Mark One Starhawk Class Battleships used by the New Galactic Republic...if any exist...sigh...[face_praying]

Yoda_Jammies and cthugha like this.
  11. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Hope there's some Rebels content in this, too, maybe the battle of Atollon?

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    According to the index, the book covers the following:

The Clone Wars
    1. The Battle of Naboo
    2. The Battle of Geonosis
    3. The Battle of Christophsis
    4. The Battle of Ryloth
    5. The Battle of Coruscant
    The Galactic Civil War
    1. The Battle of Scarif
    2. The Battle of Yavin
    3. The Battle of Hoth
    4. The Battle of Endor
    5. The Battle of Jakku
    The New Conflict
    1. The Battle of Starkiller Base

I'm stoked that Jakku will be covered, ditto the battle of Scarif!

--Adm. Nick

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So is that what the ST war is now known as (ie: will we see that term in the era select menu of battlefront II) The New Conflict?

As in;
    "I lost my parents to the first order during the new conflict"

I'll admit it's not the worst name for the latest star war.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Interesting choices for the TCW battles. To be honest I think they should've done Umbara instead of Ryloth, the vibe of those episodes would've jived well with the grunt's-eye-view this book is supposed to be.

As for the name of our newest war, well. I'm withholding judgement until they decide what the real name will be. :p

Vthuil and SilentGuy66 like this.
  15. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Come to think of it, between Lords of the Sith, Rebels, and Bloodline, Ryloth has had quite a bit of attention in the new canon. I'd guess the Clone Wars Ryloth battle was included because of how it ties into Ryloth in the GCW. It lends itself to historical analysis of how one war leads into another.

I'm also withholding judgement on the as yet undecided name for the new conflict. Honestly the best ones I can come up with are "The First Order War", "The Second Galactic Civil War" (derivative, I know, but it fits better than the one in LOTF) or "The Starkiller War".

Also, for years I've seen Yavin, Hoth, and Endor in books and on video game screens, listed as the major, definitive battles of the Galactic Civil War. It should be weird to see the newer names of Scarif and Jakku right besides them, but somehow they just fit and seem natural. It's good that the Galactic Civil War now has more than 3 battles/planets that casual fans can identify.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I wonder what they'll bring to Endor.

17. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    There are a lot of pages per battle, I hope there will be some listing of units that include non-movie sources as well. :)

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The choice of Christophsis is weird. The TCW movie may have a higher profile than the average individual episode, but it's not really thought of as that good and it's not where most fandom for the series is directed.

Also, not sure what a book that's supposed to be focused on ground troops is going to say about Yavin.

19. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Christophsis was covered over two prequel episodes in Season 1 and 2 in addition to the first third of the TCW film.

Be interesting to see what extra information will be added because I feel like all three don't really flow very well together and it might help.

Ryloth had three episodes as well so it'd be interesting what they'll do there.

I do wonder, will we be getting rosters of any sort for the space battles at Scarif, Yavin, Hoth, Endor and Jakku. Be interesting if the Rogue One pilots are retconned to replace the Legends ANH pilots.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Seeing the Battle of Coruscant mentioned has sparked my interest. So far we know nothing about the ground battle, other than the fact that Grievous kidnapped the Chancellor. It would be really great if we could see some artwork depicting the battles in the cities.

21. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Maybe Foul Moudama and Roron Corobb will return in some way shape or form. I remember the voting for the three Jedi to appear in Chapter 20 of the original Clone Wars series and I wanted Voolvif Monn. Funny how he ended up with less screen time as winner then the other two.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  22. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    The same could be said of Naboo, yet there it is.

23. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The Battle of Christophsis was fantastic. Watching it in theaters was epic. Clones getting shot down, droids getting destroyed, Anakin and Obi-Wan showing their prowess... I love TCW film.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  24. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Actually the 'Clone Wars' was the FIRST 'MODERN' GALACTIC CIVIL WAR. The 'Empire VS. Rebellion' would be the SECOND 'MODERN' GALACTIC CIVIL WAR. That makes the 'First Order Crisis' of Episode VII thru Episode IX the THIRD 'MODERN' GALACTIC CIVIL WAR.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I'd argue the CW was not a civil war given the two competing states fighting the conflict, not a group from within a single state rebelling. Same with the First Order, it's not a part of the New Republic, but gets some support from within.