main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How are you finding the RP opportunities afforded by the Triumph/Despair/Advantage/Threat rolls?

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    We're still feeling it out. Since it's a published adventure, there's some that are already suggested - and one instance had a player specifically look for a result (getting better astrogation charts to the planet) that was suggested for a Triumph result for 'general information' Computer search on the planet... and ended up with a Triumph result anyways. We also had a bargaining roll for pay from the employer - they succeeded, but got a net Despair, leaving the party with better pay but the guy pissed off. The players were actually afraid to do much information gathering precisely because they were afraid of getting Despair.
    I think part of the issue was that we didn't do much with the Dark/Light Side points, but I didn't want to throw too much in the way of trouble for them in the first full game session. Next time, we'll probably get more into that, and have our first combat - where I think the usage of the Triumph/Despair/Advantage/Threat things will kick in for the players.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah the Yiya (spelling?) gang! I completely stole the Nightflyer from them, just saying. Worth the conflict.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I played a great game of Armada this weekend. I had a MC80 Liberty-type, a MC80 Home One-type, a MC30 frigate, and a Pelta-class frigate. Plus five assorted squadrons of fighters. I faced off against two VSD-II, one Gladiator-I, and one Arquitens-class. My opponent went heavier on the fighters, but in the end I knocked out one VSD and the light cruiser. My Pelta-class was lost, plus my Liberty-type was damned near a floating hulk, but we were victorious!

I'm really excited for Wave VI. Though I'm still holding out hope that Wave VII has the Profundity and Raddus. :D

--Adm. Nick

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmmm... Task Force Antilles and Task Force Organa, huh? I never take anything in FFG as canon, but it's interesting to think of those as potential names for the Alderaanian Hammerhead groups in Rogue One.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    For individual Hammerheads rather than Task Forces, the only name given is the Garel's Honor. Going by the visible cards, that's the only Title. It's possible that one of the cards in the facedown pile is another Title though.

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Garel's Honor, hmmm. Could it be like Lightmaker and was renamed from P1 or P3 after the Battle of Atollon? It would be a way to remember those who were lost at Garel.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  12. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  14. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In my neck of the woods, that's called trolling.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    See, this is why FFG is awesome..

Darth_Duck likes this.
  17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh hey maybe we'll finally find out, in our own individual FFG ways, what happened to Reti.

Gorefiend and DarkEagle like this.
  19. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Dammit, I've been checking the page daily in hopes for updates on "Rise of the Empire", the new expansion for "Rebellion". So when I saw a picture of Thrawn with the words "Empire at War" below it my heart leapt . . .until I saw it was just an update for the Destiny dice game. :_|

20. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I haven't actually made the time to play any of FF games in a meaningful way, but I regularly pop into this thread to see what updates are coming ... someday I'll get into this stuff! I also love seeing the new art for all the different games.

JediBatman likes this.
  21. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'm also a big fan of their art. Lots of the artists they hire also post their work on deviant art. It's how I got most of my desktop backgrounds.

SensationalSean likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Just picked up Jabba's Realm for Imperial Assault.

Playing with players who are stupidly trying to kill mobs is so frustrating. We played 3 scenarios with:

* Biv
    * Davith
    * Onar (big Aqualish bodyguard, new to this set), and
    * Saska

The Biv player is from my RPG group and he has an issue in which he thinks he's the main hero star wonderous centre of attention. So we'd have an objective and 6 rounds to do it and he'd want to do thematic but stupid things like double attack or clear. Sigh.

And when loot dropped, he wanted it all. So a Bryar pistol drops (called "Hand Cannon"). It's 2 red with base +1 accuracy. Which means it's essentially a melee weapon. He wants it.

But Onar's 20HP and designed to tank.

Oh, ok he says.

Then he wanted a medpack injector which removed 2 strain and gave +1 surge.

Ok mate but you don't use surges, Saska's better to use that.

Oh, oh.

Then some really good brawler gloves. He wants that.

Yeah but dude it's a straight upgrade on Davith's heirloom dagger.

Oh ok.

Long story short - playing with people who don't get it makes it painful. We lost all three rounds mostly due to him.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ugh, it is taking longer than I expected for Wave VI to arrive in stores! At least Miniature Market has them up for pre-order, so I guess that may be a sign things are close. I ended up buying one Imperial light carrier and one Hammerhead pack (with two ships). If the Hammerhead proves it's worth and is as versatile as they make it sound, I may grab another duo. The light carrier is super cool looking, but I don't see myself rushing out to buy another. If anything, my next purchase will add additional smaller Imperial ships, like another Arquitens or Raider corvette.

--Adm. Nick

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    UPDATE: FFG's website now shows that the latest Armada wave is shipping to stores, meaning it should be available in 7-10 days. :D

They also provided an updated rules guide on their site, so I'm definitely itching to get a game in around early to mid-July. [face_cowboy]

--Adm. Nick

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm moving to a different town in a few days. I discovered that the local comic/game store had a weekly Star Wars game night for the purpose of bringing people together to play Destiny, X-Wing, Armada, and Imperial Assault... and starting next week it's going to be a Magic: The Gathering night instead. This week's seems to have been the final Star Wars night. Oh well.