main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Darth Zane, I agree 100 percent.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I would imagine Aphra was a little more involved in the situation than just being a friend that Sana had a crush on. Given that they have pretty much confirmed that Aphra does like girls I would imagine that they were infact dating for awhile. Sana just liked Aphra more than Aphra like Sana though.

Daneira likes this.
  3. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Personally I don't see how they confirmed it and carved it into stone just because a few lines in rebel jail and his father saying something like "you have terrible taste in women" regarding Tolvan. Unless the writer went on the record and said so?

Even if it is so, I don't see/ I don't want to see Doc Aphra and Sana ends up together. Sana is like Kill Aphra! Kill the Doc. KILL! Die Doc Die! all the time.

Rehash of the Luke and Mara relationship? Mara was struggling within herself and didn't actually take a shot at Luke (maybe just one time in the headhunter at Myrkr). But Sana went too far.

4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Hey Marvel, why can't we get an arc or at least a one-shot which details whatever happened between Sana and Aphra? I liked those glimpses we got into Aphra's past in the first Aphra arc, and it's also a god chance to flesh out Sana's character.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

5. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    they probably won't. Add to the mystery. And besides, it allows the character be read according to the consumer's personal taste. If you want Aphra to prefer girls? sure why not? If you wanta Aphra to be straight. a ok.

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Why can't we have both? I prefer her to be bisexual.

7. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
  8. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Maybe, we're all operating from our own headcanons. Being attracted to women doesn't mean you're attracted to every female friend you have, though. My reading of Aphra's line about Sana handling her crushes and Aphra not knowing how to deal with Sana is that it was mostly one-sided. Aphra might have knowingly agreed to try the dates, but nothing about them went well.

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    We definitely are operating on our own headcanons with this situation. My feelings are though that if the whole thing was almost entirely one sided then Sana wouldn't be trying to shoot Aphra. Reactions like that don't come from situations where it was just a bad date. Reactions like that happen from when there was some sort of commitment present between two people and one of the individuals became extremely scorned for whatever reason.

10. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Maybe they have been smuggling partners and had to behave like more than friends for sometimes in order to fool a dangerous organization. Then after Aphra got her loot, she may have run and abandoned Sana to fend off the vengeful Hutt or sopmething like Xizor. Whatever.

That's my headcanon.

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That would be a logical way to explain Sana's current reactions to Aphra.

12. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    I definitely agree that Aphra had to do something pretty heinous to warrant Sana's reaction. It has to be something embarrassing for Sana, too, not just hurtful.

13. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    It was either what I said above or

Sana and Chelli Lona were together at that graduate school and Sana was working with the symbiote Chelli Lona planted (fake). Sana devoted all of her energy on why the symbiote was at that XII planet. Right before she went to defend her thesis Chelli Lona told her the truth. Now Sana just wasted her whole career (and the best time of her life (may have turned down a few dates in order to study)...

This scenario doesn't involve romantic relationship though. Sop when Leia asks hey you two were.... blah blah. maybe Sana was thinking of the time in school where Chelli Lona basically ruined her education. Now it should have been Dr. Sana instead of that fake.... DIE fake doc!

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke would be monogamous and think they're in love forever. Aphra would not. She'd just think the farmboy Jedi had a crush. Although, as seen in the last issue, Aphra threatened to explode Luke so I don't think she's TOO attached to him and Luke probably isn't by this point, what with the threatening to sell and/or explode him.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I wonder whether she realizes just how dead she is going to be if she hurts Luke Skywalker.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Funny thing is, Aphra actually knows who Luke's mother was, when she "discovered" that fact for Vader.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Does she officially know it was Luke or does she just know it was the pilot that blew up the death star?

18. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    She knows that Luke blew up the Death Star and that Padmé was his mother, and it's no secret that Anakin is Luke's father. The only thing she didn't learn was that there were two children born, because she showed mercy during the interrogation. I don't think she's officially supposed to know that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker, but I personally think she has enough insight to have figured that out. I mean... she saw and commented on the fact that Vader's personal ship was a sleek Naboo cruiser, he is obsessed with Luke, and then Vader sends her to Naboo to find out about Luke's mother?

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Oh ok. I wasn't sure if she officially knew that Luke was the pilot that blew up the death star. That may give us a hint that Luke and Aphra won't be spending all that much time around eachother in the future since he obviously does not find out that fact from her. Then again it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that that is not part of her job anymore so she simply is not bothering with the fact. And Aphra also seems like the type of person who wouldn't want to let on about everything she knows.

20. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    I actually think the opposite, that they wouldn't have Aphra discover something that huge if she weren't the source of Luke (and maybe Leia) finding out. As far as I know, we don't know when or how Luke learns about his mother. I would be really disappointed if that never comes up.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    We know that by the time of Bloodline Leia is fully aware of Padme and she has spent a lot of time looking up info about her mother. However I don't believe the book gets in to how she did find out (only that she found out years ago). If Aphra does end up being the person that lets Luke and Leia know about their mother that means she likely is going to become very well acquainted with them over the years.

22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

The conversation Luke and Leia have in ROTJ about their mother implies to me that Luke knows absolutely nothing about Padme and that Leia knows only very little, probably because Bail was too scared to tell her too much in case Leia would start digging into who her biological father was. Also in the Princess Leia mini-series, when Leia visits Naboo and sees the painting of Padme, she has no idea who that is, even thou she does feel some kind of Force connection on an instinctive level.

But if Bail told Leia who her biological mother was and Aphra knows who Luke's mother was, then all they need to figure out they are siblings is if Aphra would spill the beans about what she was doing for Darth Vader. Just for this reason alone Aphra cannot stay with the Alliance. It would be weird if Aphra would join the Rebellion and never tell her new friends all the secrets she knows about the Empire and Vader. Also, this means that Aphra knows Luke is not just an ordinary farm boy from Tatooine, but actually a lost son of former Naboo royalty.

The only way this could work out in a believable way is if Aphra tells Luke and Leia about their mother post-ROTJ. Or she simply never joins the Alliance and Luke and Leia find out about their heritage from a different source.

23. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    I always thought the same about the Luke and Leia scene in RotJ, but it's possible to argue that just because he has no memories of his mother doesn't mean that he has no knowledge of her. But, yeah, I'd always taken that scene as Luke trying to get any information about his mother because he had none at all. So it's likely that Aphra, if she's the one to tell Luke about his mother, does it after RotJ. Although it would be cool if it happened in Screaming Citadel, I think the opportunity for it has already passed. SC could very well be Aphra's last major interaction with Luke and the main Rebels until the Post-ESB gap or after RotJ. Luke after RotJ is not the naive farmboy of Screaming Citadel, though... I really hope we get to see Aphra interacting with the Luke we saw in Shattered Empire.

24. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016
    Guys! I want to do a letters page for Doctor Aphra! Send in your fanmail to StarWars@Marvel.com

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Whatever happened to Star Words in the main series? I think it literally lasted an issue or two. Though based on that comment I'd imagine a lack of fan mail had to do with.