main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This isn't really a partisan thing, though: Trump is demonstrably just too stupid (or egomaniacal or immature - the exact issue is kind of a moot point) to be President. That's part of why I mention the need for the 25th Amendment - I don't like Mike Pence, disagree with him on virtually every substantive issue, and would never, ever vote for him, but he's at least to all evidence capable of serving in the office. Trump literally doesn't seem able to.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Honestly, I would have voted for Ivanaka, even. She travels in the same Jewish circles as my sisters in DC, and by all accounts she's both a sane and intelligent person.

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Ivanka never would have put Bannon, Sessions, Flynn, or Pruitt in power as well.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pre-emptive moderator comment: I'm fine with political discussion in this thread -- it's an off-topic thread after all -- but let's remember please to be courteous and civil. Should the discussion get personal or heated, I'll be putting an end to it.

And like I said, this is pre-emptive. Everyone's fine so far, so carry on.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wait

Athena helped create humanity? I thought she had a human mother (that Zeus ate, thus her popping out his head. Man, who first told that story I wonder?)

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Not true. Trump before the election was already a lying self confessed Sexual predator, deliberately using his position to do that. Yet People voted for him anyway. Many of which claim to be religious, which I can't see how they square that circle either, with Trump.

In this instance he's used a terrorist attack in my country to try and start an argument and make it all about him

comradepitrovsky The Electoral college was done on the 1780's when there weren't as many States and Slaves and poor people were a huge concern to some in power, this was about preventing them get power where they were in majorities. We are now in 2017 I think it definitely could be reformed

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    We would not have left the Paris Agreement had Hilary been in charge. I dislike her don't get me wrong, but even she drew a line somewhere. I hate defending a warmonger but still. Also international reputation should count as the state our country is in right now cause well that reputation and stuff like the Paris agreement and the ban and the wall and so on very much effect us internally due to how they effect us externally.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah and you think that when Trump goes and we get a non foreign policy dunce in charge that's gonna help...Nooo way. We revealed ourselves, the world know that we as a people are not realiable and that we as a Poltical entity have this faction of Pro-Trumpers that could come into power at any time. This isn't some short term humiliation this is long term damage, it's gonna last decades. If not forever.

vncredleader likes this.
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Some of those Pro Trumpers are genuinely very scary and quite nasty too. Even though they were supposedly outraged and shocked over this attack Like Trump they were using this Terrorist attack to score points and pontificate and in some cases out right lie to further there own agenda. The one about the cowardly British cop who ran away because he wasn't armed really got me mad as that Police officer is still in the hospital from confronting them. It quickly became clear they didn't give a you know what about London or the victims at all !

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yet she defends her farther at some point your just complicit and just as guilty family or not

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Athena's mother is usually given as Metis, another deity.

MercenaryAce and Ghost like this.
  12. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    So after deciding to pick up the fun Rebirth-Era Supergirl monthly comics to read with my daughter, I thought I'd go back and read some of the New 52 era tbs to become a bit more familiar with the state of the DC Union (I've never been a DC reader, and only know some major Big Events and Concepts through exposure and osmosis).

Among other things, currently reading through Morrison's Action Comics run.
    [​IMG]
    It's bat%#t insane, initially confusing as all getout but... also sort of brilliant. After an initial wtf reaction, and needing to re-read the first volume to actually know what was going on, I've come to really begin appreciating it.

I have found, however, that I need to place markers in the tpbs to place issues in actual release order, and to pair the backup stories with the main stories. Otherwise, the tpbs are even more of a confusing mess. There's so much subtle storytelling and reveals in those issues, that messing with release ordering (and de-coupling the backup stories from the main stories) really does the run a disservice. Don't know who thought re-arranging the tpbs that way would be a good idea, but definitely makes is much less accessable to a newbie to the story (which is complicated as is even WITH accurate story order).

vncredleader likes this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, I believe the Electoral College serves a valuable function because I don't want the Rural States of America to be treated like the Hunger Games--nothing more than fodder for the cities. The irony is the Rust Belt's problems with Hillary were ABSOLUTELY CORRECT and her ignoring of the issues of the single most needy and desperate Americans is absolutely a reason not to vote for her.

Unfortunately, it's stuck us with someone who is STILL ignoring said problems and making them worse.

Worse, NO ONE seems to be learning ANYTHING from this or changing their ways remotely. Its business as usual with the Democrats and Republicans waiting it out.

14. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I watched the commentaries of CNN I think it was, so Hilary never spent a minute in Michigan because it was considered safe.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep -- a pre-Olympian who represented wisdom. There's a lot to unpack in Athena's origin story, and it's connection to Athena's role as patroness of humanity and civilization.

Especially if you connect her pre-Mycenaean roots as a mother goddess to her Olympian myths about Athena breathing life into Promethian clay.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CaptainPeabody and MercenaryAce like this.
  16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I need to give Morrison's Action another try, I was just upset at the whole New 52 thing at the time and refused to read all of it (I eventually picked up Justice League and Batman after hearing good things and loved it). I also wanted to try Greg Pak's run as well.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Hillary's team seemed to miss American workers didn't trust her at all to represent their interests unlike, ironically, Obama.

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Can't speak for Hilary but going with Trump instead was probably not the best alternative. Even now instead of shutting up he's doubling down and attacking the London Mayor AGAIN. Let reiterate the attack happened Saturday night and it's only now Monday evening and he's pulling this .... !

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Speaking of politics, I just started my first day working for the House of Representatives.

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Huh.

Thanks for the clarification.

And man, that story is even weirder than I remember.

Congratulations!

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They'll never see you coming.

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah the way the run was put out was really confused. I find that initial arc to be utterly brilliant. Such a good update of Golden Age Superman for a modern age.

Taalcon likes this.
  23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    [​IMG]

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If you don't mind sharing... which office? And what kind of job? I can understand if you want to keep it private though.

25. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Just a committee internship. Nothing that special.

Force Smuggler and Ghost like this.