main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Middle East Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, there's this new thing going on, with Saudi Arabia rallying its allies to cut off relations with its neighbor Qatar, and people in Qatar are stockpiling food and afraid an intervention might be imminent. (Saudi Arabia basically took over Bahrain in all but name a few years ago too, under concerns of their Arab Spring Protesters being too friendly with Iran.)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/05/middleeast/saudi-bahrain-egypt-uae-qatar-terror/index.html

[​IMG]

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This is very, very, very bad -- and the fact that the rest of the GCS are cutting off all flights there as of Friday is a pretty bad sign.

I'm not thrilled with all of the Qatari dealings in the region, but this is all but certain to make everything worse -- thanks, 45!

EDIT: On the plus side, I was almost flying back via Doha on Saturday... fortunately, this is not happening.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Qatar and the Saudis have been feuding over their respective proxy militias in Yemen. Looks like Saudis have managed to convince everyone to join their side on this.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The Middle East is ****ed. It wasn't going great even when Obama was in office, and now with Trump running the show, the place is just going to burn.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    read: Trump wants business with the Saudis more than Qatar, based on reports of the trip. :p

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    ISIS did the attacks. Iran blames Saudi Arabia and the US for supporting and funding them.

ShaneP and Ghost like this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    So happy for the Kurdish people.

10. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Nothing will come of it. The KRG is entirely dependent on oil revenues to be viable, and will have to export it either through Turkey, as it currently does, or through Iraq itself. The Baghdad government will not reward secession with pipeline access, and Turkey, whose territory comprises the largest part of Kurdistan, will certainly not want to encourage secessionist sentiment either. So it might even choose to sabotage the arrangement it currently has with the KRG and block exports. That leaves Iran and Syria. The Kurdish areas of Syria are de facto independent (Rojava), but they are also landlocked. The Mediterranean coast is held by government forces. And Iran is loyal to Baghdad.

Kurdistan will become independent at some point. But not yet.

11. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Other way around, me thinks, no? ;)

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

VVM just means they are allies, not that Iran is subservient to Baghdad. VVM knows this. But yes, Iran leads.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  13. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
  14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    SergeyX2017 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Well, Russian propaganda media loves this, actually. Putin himself loves it, I think. Whether he is behind it or not; the more stuff he gets blamed on, in the world, it makes him seem more powerful, omnipresent. And Russians actually like their ruler to be powerful, feared in the world, even if for being evil, hell, especially the evil ones (most popular national leaders over there are Ivan the Terrible and Stalin, today, seriously lol)

So... This is actually assuring his reelection next year...

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh I'm not saying they don't like it. He's still there after all.

17. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So then why not just keep their powder dry and avoid doing anything stupid, especially if time is on their side anyway?

Apparently you aren't alone.

18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The KRG probably wants to take advantage of the federal government's currently weakened state. There's a high likelihood that under normal circumstances, a referendum would not even be allowed to take place. Something good will come out of this, which is that secessionist sentiment will now be accurately known, no longer open to speculation.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think it could win. And Erdogan actually supports the Iraqi Kurdish party, since he hopes all the Kurds in Turkey will immigrate out of his country. I don't think this is like Brexit, with the UK caught like a deer staring into approaching headlights. I think they'd only do this referendum if they were no only prepared for the consequences, but also prepared for it to pass.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, the referendum was held yesterday. I haven't seen any official announcement of the results, but I expect the vote to overwhelmingly be for yes. The Kurds have wanted secession for as long as nation states have existed in the Middle East, which means since the end of WW1. And as I predicted, Turkey has already threatened to close their oil pipeline that connects the KRG to the export market, and have also announced a joint military exercise with the Baghdad government in the border areas of the KRG. The Iraqi PM calls it unconstitutional and has vowed to do anything necessary to protect Iraq's territorial integrity. The central government isn't going to take this lying down. Meanwhile, Iran calls the vote illegal and has cancelled all commercial flights to Irbil.

You might be surprised to learn that the official position of the US to this is one of opposition.

The US state department said it was "deeply disappointed" that the vote went ahead.
    "We believe this step will increase instability and hardships for the Kurdistan region and its people," spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.

Not surprising in the slightest, meanwhile, is that Israel is the only country in the world to officially back the referendum, and without a hint of irony. [face_laugh]

As I wrote the last time, even if nothing comes of this in the near term, the vote will be a useful counter to the propaganda messaging of the central governments of the four countries in question, who claim that secessionist sentiment is only held by a small fringe of militants.

----

Meanwhile - extra extra, stop the presses! - yesterday Saudi Arabia announced that it will allow women to drive.

King Salman orders driving licenses for women | Al Arabiya English

The order is planned to go into effect by next June.

21. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I hope they will be allowed to drive without having their faces covered. I think that would limit their side views.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Haha, not likely. And women still need the permission of either their husbands or fathers to leave the house, so there's still a long way to go for emancipation in that country.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Great more bad drivers.....I'll see myself out

24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Why, because you genuinely care about women's rights, or you're just looking for any excuse to say something bad about Islam?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    your a lovely person.

26. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

As long as it doesn't involve criticising Trump...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.