main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Wildcatbarry, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    In the Snoke thread there is speculation about Snoke being connected in some way to the Jedi-Sith wars 1000 years in the past. As I was reading that, it struck me that Maz is about 1000 years old (if I remember correctly). What if Maz is also connected to that transformative time in the galaxy's history? That could be part of Maz's purpose that seems to be in question here.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  2. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    So....Maz will pretty much have no consequence in TLJ. Meanwhile the same may be said of the Knights of Ren, Snoke is just Snoke and won't get much screentime whatsoever, there is nothing about Finn's past worth exploring, Rey's lineage may turn out to be nothing big, the people running SW apparently just determined a few months back that Phasma was human and not a robot and Luke's role may be disappointing enough for Mark Hamill to publicly state that that was not the direction he himself would have chosen for the character. I don't know. It just seems like what many of us thought as being a setup for the last two films wasn't that at all; there were no big overall plans and schemes. It could make for a great film still considering Rian's involvement but it would still seem as if he is stuck with a slight reboot of TFA and left to clear out characters and potential storylines that he has no use for. This new trilogy probably could have used more outlining from the beginning.

3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    ^This is what I thought the story group was for and maybe Arndt/Lucas? To provide the overarching arc of the ST while the individual directors/writers fill in the details and specific plot points? But I guess that was wishful thinking. With Abrams' love of mystery boxes and liberal editing room changes, and the tragic death of Fisher, it seems none of these three directors will end up with the movie that they originally set out to make. Abrams cut his and altered some things in big ways, which then affects Johnson's story, and now Trevorrow has to write Leia out of Star Wars or figure out some miraculously nuanced way to recast her. Lucky him. Maybe Maz will be seen in one scene talking to 3PO off to the side. "And then I found Luke's lightsaber in a junk pile on Bespin..." and that's it.

afrojedi likes this.
  4. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    How would Maz know that they were trying to hide? She sensed his presence and was excited to see him. And, she likes that Wookiee.

5. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001

:rolleyes:

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Wouldn't she know that she has sketchy people hanging around her bar?

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    How would she know that Han's friends are on the run from the FO?

8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think Maz is way cool. I don't expect her to have a big part in TLJ, but I hope she rebuilds her castle or has another one somewhere in the galaxy, where her fellow space pirates, racers and smugglers seeking adventures and glory can gather and share drinks.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  9. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    One would expect her to be wiser than announcing to the world the identity of her costumers, lest there will be bounty hunters hanging at her bar full of criminals.
    I mean, she certainly comes across as the dumbest person in the galaxy next to Han and Kylo Ren in that movie.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. She obviously knows Han is a good guy. She's gotta know that her bar is filled with shady people with ties to the First Order and yet..."HAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN SOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jedi Jessy, La Calavera and afrojedi like this.
  11. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Exactly, when realism is pitted against a memorable movie moment.

B3 and The Regular Mustache like this.
  12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    That's overreacting a bit. We have porgs after all! PORGS!!!!

13. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    What a thoughtful, eloquent and well-informed response. So much easier than pointing out what I wrote that was actually deserving of such a clever rebuke. But perhaps that would require having a legitimate counter.

SunnyNelson likes this.
  14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    We can't say that, at present we know she plays some role in the film, the nature of that role is unknown.

Unknown, we've heard of groups of people armed like them playing a role in the film, but nothing concrete.

Again, we can't say that. The increased importance LFL is taking with Phasma and the fact Finn is suposedly infiltrating the FO could mean more about his past with that organization could be explored in film.

[qutoe] and Luke's role may be disappointing enough for Mark Hamill to publicly state that that was not the direction he himself would have chosen for the character.[/quote]

Mark later went on twitter, clarifying that though he wasn't initally sold on the idea, he's come around to Rian's way of thinking after actually performing in the film.

More like, potential avenues and plot threads were left for future directors to explore. Rian Johnson wrote his script while seeing the daily's during TFA's filming. He also asked JJ to alter his original plans to facilitate the story he wish to tell. Yes, some of the things Fans saw as hints will not be so...but that was going to be true anyways. Some people were convinced this would have a 'Beauty and the Beast' style romance due to the presence of bells in Rey's home. Others were positive that Rey would fall to the Dark Sider (at least 'a little') due to her anger with Kylo Ren. However now we know that Rian was given a lot of freedom and that means his own views and interpretations take precedance over 'A Detailed Plan'.

The original trilogy is a classic and it went through a lot of revision, rewrites and alterations to it's original plot. LFL probably learned a lot from that and their own expierences with the EU after the films. By not locking everything down, they remain flexible, able to take advantage of unexpected opportunities and adjust to unforseen consequences. It also helps to attract good talent to their films if said creatives have the freedom to tell a story they are excited about. See Garth Edwards and Rogue One for an example.

Long Story short, LFL knew that if they tightened their grip, the more talented creatives and story telling opportunities would slip through their fingers.

episodenone likes this.
  15. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    It's a shame we know more about Hux than we do about Maz in TLJ.

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Is it? I enjoy NOT knowing everything about a film and it's plot. It's one of the reason I'm enjoying Rian's revelation so much...all those complicated Fan theoris that supposedly plotted out the entire trilogy...are ALL up in smoke.

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm imagining a scene were Rey and Luke are hiding from the First Order. They're crouched in the bushes hoping that the First Order don't see them. They hold their breath for fear that the First Order will hear them breathing. They're almost in the clear...then out of nowhere Maz shows up and shouts LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKEEEEEEE SKYWAAAAAAAALLLLLKER!!! Then they're all captured and killed.

18. N7Jedi

Feb 13, 2016
    Then it's revealed that Maz was Snoke's wife all along. :eek:

19. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Maz is Snoke's mom

Darth Smurf and Dark Horse like this.
  20. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Maz is the man behind the curtain.

Snoke is just a hologram.

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I just want the crew (Finn, plus whoever's with him) in Episode IX to come trundling into a cantina and Maz is standing behind the bar. As soon as she sees them, she runs toward them, waving her arms madly, and says "No, no, no! Not you again!" right before a shootout starts and Maz's place is, once again, leveled. [face_laugh]

22. N7Jedi

Feb 13, 2016
    I was hoping for a scene with Finn carrying Maz around Dagobah piggyback style.

23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    No, it's the other way around, Finn is riding Maz, only Maz has finished her larvae stage and has metamorphosed into her next stage...

...as a space horse.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. N7Jedi

Feb 13, 2016
    We all kinda knew this already but the recent EW article confirms that Maz has a smaller role in TLJ than she had in TFA.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maz is actually Seth Brundle, and I only say this because she eerily resembles his final human form at the end of the film.[face_sick]