main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That's still impressive. Congrats dude!

Force Smuggler and Ghost like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Cool -- congrats, have fun and good luck. The Hill's.... well, it's something. Rather like high school, really.

4. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks everyone!

5. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    From Thrawn (not plot-related, non-spoilery):
    ...I had to read that sentence three times until I finally got that it does NOT say "and/or".

Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While political cultures and environments can vary quite a bit, one general rule that ought to be reliable for you is: Develop a reputation for being discreet, do what you're asked to and do it well - those two things should be enough to hopefully open a few doors in the future.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    After finishing the various Han Solo and Lando Calrissian books, I reread Star Wars for the first time in a while a few days ago, and just started on Splinter of the Mind's Eye for the first time today.

blackmyron and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Nice. Splinter is a very good sci-fi adventure story. Feel like an old pulp at points

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Splinter IS old pulp.

Just got back from Wonder Woman. I'd put it up with the top third of MCU movies, similar but inferior to Captain America. Still a little too much with the DCDark look and feel, leans a bit heavy on the visual effects spectacle for the major battles (a problem in some of the Phase 3 marvel movies as well, but Marvel is already self aware- seethe intro to GotG 2), and the overall message still falls into the classic DC vs Marvel story divide, but the characters are done far better. More natural, with more humanity and depth than any DC movie since Dark Knight at least.

vncredleader likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I guess I don't know what this even means, anymore. What about WW was "DCDark" in either look or feel? It felt no different to any of the early Marvel films in general tone. Cap wasn't "DCDark" and neither was this.

If anything, it was so vanilla MCU-y that it was difficult to imagine it was taking place in the same universe as MoS.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Not tone in this case, but in look. The cinematography and color filters may have been chosen to add to the WWI feel, but the mix of filters, camera movements, and cgi spectacle all evoke other DC films.

12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Really? I felt like it was incredibly different from the others. The stuff on Themyscira is so vibrant and gorgeous

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but that was the point. It was supposed to contrast with the rest.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but that was the point. It was supposed to contrast with the rest.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Just got informed that my paper submission for the Armitage Symposium of NecronomiCon Providence was accepted. For those who don't know, NecronomiCon is the biannual big HP Lovecraft convention in Providence, RI and the Armitage Symposium is the academic conference attached to it. My paper is an argument on how Mars influenced Lovecraft's works, why it's almost entirely absent from them, and why At the Mountains of Madness can be read as HPL's version of the many contemporary pulp space operas set on Mars.

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Sure but the rest was not colorless either. The contrast works really well cause we are in a dark time in history. It is very similar to how half of First Avenger is shot from Steve's pov and the other half is with a more realistic color pallet. The colors are never muted in the war stuff just grimy which is fine cause it serves a purpose. The reason the darker pallet is frustrating in other DCEU films is it never fit the movie, they always did it seemingly for no reason. Here it is part of a deliberate contrast.

18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    DP. Man this lag is annoying

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "NecronomiCon" is an awesome name.

DarkEagle and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Another good turn for the day... dropped by my local comics shop and they had a big box of old comics for a dollar each. Including most of the XWRS Mandatory Retirement and TOTJ Redemption. So picked up that entire run in original single issues for $5.

Gamiel and vncredleader like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I have a great smallish chain in MA, and each store has tons of older trades for about $3 each, all in pretty much great condition, so I've been hitting them up to see what SW stuff they have. Between two stores I was able to get every KOTOR trade, and one I went to last week even had the Tag and Bink trade. Best find though were the trades for Blood Ties, which cost a ridiculous amount online.

Dr. Steve Brule and Amon_Amarth like this.
  22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Nice! Few things beat finding rarities in local shops. During the Free Comic Book Day, I came across a trade of The Yavin Vassilika! Tried to get it online some time ago, but it was too pricey, with postage and all.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Did a short film last year, reuploaded it the other day. If any of you guys are interested, feel free to check it out. It's a period piece set in the 1960s, very influenced by Mad Men, down to using a line from it. Always looking for feedback, particularly where writing and dialogue is concerned. This one turned out very well; I believe its production values are quite a bit above the average short film.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "I once talked to a table for over an hour"

...ok this is awesome.

Jokes aside, I think the writing was really good. Have you made a lot of films?

instantdeath likes this.
  26. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Can't wait to see the King of Wakanda on the big screen, hope he has a big role in the next Avengers movie too

Nice poster as well, though this one is an edit of the original:
    [​IMG]