main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Orlando 2017!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by michaelsft, May 4, 2016.

1. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I was able to get everything I wanted at Celebration, but I'm glad this opportunity is there.

2. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    got the badge set, Rey shirt, 40th anniversary tshirt (I had seen desperate people making their own since they couldn't get one at Celebration so it was a nice surprise to see it) and the 3/4 shirt since it's nice and somewhat rare to have longer Star Wars shirts. Grabbed the hat for a friend. A lot of non-attendees are asking for people to get them stuff on facebook and I wouldn't mind doing that for some but I'm also leaning to let the attendees a chance at first grab cause that's what it's for right now.

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I know celebration was months ago, but for those who got the Exclusive Luke Black Series 40th figure, was there a limit to how many you could get??

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Do you mean the Hasbro exclusive figure?

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yep, hasbo Black Series!

6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    If you lined up Thursday or Friday morning to get a ticket for it, you could buy up to two with that one ticket. They could only be purchased using those tickets at first. And the same person could line up and get a ticket on both days.

If you bought them Friday afternoon and onward when they opened it up for first come first serve, you were also only allowed to buy two using your Celebration badge. Once you did, they scanned your badge with some fluorescent light that I guess would somehow indicate you had already made a purchase. And even if you had already purchased them by getting a ticket previously, you could still use your badge to buy two more.

So I guess the maximum that one individual could get was six.

I got extremely lucky. I didn't line up for a ticket Thurs or Fri. But late Friday afternoon I literally just happened to be walking by the Hasbro booth, noticed the line was really short, asked the lady in front about it and she said they had just opened it up about ten minutes prior for first come first serve to buy them. So I got right in line, bought two, didn't take more than 15 minutes. The rest of the weekend the line stretched far beyond from where the booth was and it took someone I asked two hours.

They had plenty of stock though. All through most of Sunday they were consistently selling them.

I didn't try or know anybody who tried using their badge twice to make two separate purchases, so I'm not sure how effective their tracking system was. One thing that did irk me though was when I was in line, standing behind some guys who were vendors as they were just openly discussing going back and forth using their several vendor badges to continue buying them until they didn't have any more vendor badges to use.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Badge set is no longer available.

8. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Just saw that. Glad I grabbed one instead of debating

9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
  10. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    For anyone who ordered from the RP store and haven't heard anything or see your order says Processing... RP customer service has told several fans that the shirts were pre-orders and that they are going to print them based on the amount on orders they get. So it will be 2-3 weeks from now before they start shipping since they are not printed.
    I know a few fans got their order already but a lot more, like me, are still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  11. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Just got an email that my order has been shipped.

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Finally got the email that said my order has shipped. I wonder what it was in my order that was the cause of the delay. Probably the standard logo Celebration shirt since I'm sure overall those were probably ordered in much higher quantity than anything else and probably took a longer time fulfill.

On another note, I'm going to San Diego Comic Con in two weeks, and lately I've found myself just obsessing over it non-stop the way I had done in anticipation of Celebration. Four days of just being immersed in all things nerd, I can't wait! Too bad there's no TLJ panel, but there will definitely be plenty of SW there.

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Nice! SDCC is on my bucket list, but it's on the other side of the country for me. Out of big conventions, I've opted to focus on Celebration.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Oh yea, Celebration is and will always be my top priority when it comes to conventions. If I had to pick only one to go to in any given year it would absolutely be Celebration.

As far as SDCC goes, this will only be my second time going, my first time being last year. Funny enough, I hadn't even thought to go until I watched the live stream of Celebration Europe that whole weekend last summer, which then gave me the Con bug and prompted me to want to go to SDCC the week after. Because why not? And since I only live about a two hours drive from there, I figure I'll attend this as regularly as I can now as well. I've only been doing the Con circuit for a couple of years now anyway. So this figures right into it.

15. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Have fun Motivated R5-D4! I've been wondering how much the SDCC Thrawn figure exclusive will go for on ebay, got to remember to check once it happens.

As for RP orders, they sent me all the shirts and badges a few weeks ago but my separate order with the 40th anniversary hat just arrived yesterday.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, if I was within driving distance, I'd definitely go to SDCC. I've got a couple cons in my area that I'm going to over the next couple of months.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Padme501st: Thanks! Yea, I might be doing an overnight just for some of the Hasbro exclusives. In addition to Thrawn, there's a Luke with his Tattooine speeder I want as well, plus a couple others if they still have them. And I got all my RP order in one.

star_wars_is_good: Fortunately these days a lot of Cons have sprung up that rival SDCC in terms of popularity, so there's plenty to see and do no matter which Con you attend.

Padme501st likes this.
  18. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Got the Thrawn SDCC exclusive on ebay for $109 with shipping. Hate having to do that but it seems to be the way of cons now.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well I'm back from SDCC. It was great, did a lot, was there each day from opening until well past closing for some after hours events, met Frank Miller and Todd McFarlane, avoided the really popular stuff but still went to a number of cool panels, got some exclusives, even hung out with some friends I've met at other Cons, pretty much everything I had set out to do. All in all it was a great Con and was my first time doing it all four days.

That said, for me, it doesn't compare to Star Wars Celebration. At SDCC there is just so much going on all at once, so many people there for so many different reasons, that while the community feeling is there somewhat, it's not nearly as strong as it is at SWC. At SWC people are there for one reason and one reason only, and stretched out for days for that one reason. So in my opinion, because of that there is a much stronger sense of community there. I didn't come away from SDCC with any strong post Con blues in the way I did after attending both of the Celebrations I've been to. And if I did/do feel that way it's only because it just sucks having to come back to work and life.

But anyways, if you can get there using straight forward means, I'd recommend it. If not, don't let the hype make you think you're missing out on something that you can't find anywhere else. Because aside from all the big movie reveals and whatnot, which you won't get into anyway, it's really just another Con. We can only hope that as SW continues to increase in popularity that SWC doesn't become nearly as difficult to get passes for as SDCC.

Padme501st likes this.
  20. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    That's good to know MotivateR5D4. And with technology being what it is now, there's plenty of panels to watch at home even if you can't see it all so it's not like you can't participate from far away.

Glad you had fun!

On another note, with Galaxy Edge supposedly coming out first in Anaheim and later that same year in Orlando, I'm still sticking to my prediction that Celebration will be Easter Weekend in April 2019 in Anaheim with either a preview/soft opening of Galaxy Edge for Celebration attendees (kind of like what they did this year at Disneyworld with their show), or that the park will be open already

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Padme501st: Thanks!

And I agree, with the parks opening up, and the conclusion of the ST on the horizon after this year, I think the announcement of the next Celebration will be a pretty big deal. If there's any pattern to rely on it's that the last two Celebrations in the US have been in April, so I'd say that's a strong bet for 2019. And yea, I highly doubt they are considering any other cities besides Orlando and Anaheim, so I'd bet on it being in Anaheim simply because of the arena there. 2019 is going to be a big year for Star Wars. But like I said, I just hope by then it doesn't get so popular that ticket demand makes Celebration much harder to get into.

Padme501st likes this.
  22. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    And that they figure out better line control for the volume they have. Better set up in the autograph hall to handle the crowd and better use of the space offered in the center would definitely help. They can do it, they just need to plan it in advance.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    You're still bitter about that. :p

Padme501st likes this.
  24. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    MotivateR5D4 I'm jealous of you meeting Frank Miller. I'm glad you had a good time.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks dude. It was a great time. If you can make it there one of these years it's totally worth it.