main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the doctor droid is already on the ground by this point so Vader has had his "NOOOOOOOOOO!!" and Immediately after there's another "No." which force throws Palpatine against the wall. Kind of awesome to see that after his big "Noooooooo!!" that Vader took it out on Palpy, which is what you would expect Anakin would do.

I loved the whole issue, and it got particularly and satisfyingly messy at the end there and the art was fantastic, but my favourite stuff was the first few pages of the immediate ROTS aftermath. (Well, technically, I would say those first few pages / burning of the lightsabers actually take place during ROTS and before Sidious and Vader go and check out the Death Star)

3. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder how bleeding crystals started. I suspect early dark Jedi during the war needing a replacement weapon. Though if we see any 100 yr darkness content, it's better for most dark Jedi to stick to Jedi colors. Besides showing differences to Sith, still using same colors as the enemy can create beneficial confusion. Resorting to practically all red after the war and far away from Jedi crystals.

5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't get this series... Marvel already had a series of ''Darth Vader''... What happened to it and why this series has the same name but starts at No.1 again ? ...o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

revan772 likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The first Darth Vader series is set between ANH and ESB, the second series is set just after Vader says "NO" in RotS, Vader:Year One basically. Though, I agree they should have handled it better by making it slightly different for clarity.

Zer0, Diego Lucas and Erkan12 like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you're going to read Marvel Comics you need to be at ease with renumbering, for they can do it quite often.

The way to navigate it is:
    • Darth Vader v1 #1-25 Gillen
    • Darth Vader v2 #1-? Soule

TrandoJedi, Darth_Pevra and Vialco like this.
  8. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I mean is it too hard to add extra titles to these series ? Such as Darth Vader - Lord of the Sith , Darth Vader - Rise etc.

They are just making things harder for the collectors.

9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Agreed, but Marvel are notorious for this.

And sure, D99's post shows they'll do a subtitle to set it apart the trades from the other Vader trades, but I doubt they'll also indicate the chronological order.

The simple answer is: You're expected to know this stuff. Except no one can, it's why I update the releases thread, why I've a guidance 1138 article in my sig, none of this stuff is written down.

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    My one gripe: Anakin and Vader don't talk like each other. Some sort of transition would have been interesting to see.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I hope we get to see this. The Dark Horse comics set during the same period covered that really well. To be fair though, only the first issue has been out, so we may get to see that in subsequent issues.

13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah it's just weird that his entire personality changes between Mustafar and being put in the suit.

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    We'll see how he's portrayed in the following issues. In the first one we see a lot of anger (he expresses his pleasure by murdering all of the people standing by his ship), which I find fitting for his character at the moment. But there's only so much space in a single issue. According to Soule's tweet, Vader will try to avoid introspection, but I'd expect that he'll "break" eventually. There are some brief moments of Vader dwelling on his past in Lords of the Sith and the first Vader series, which both take place well after ROTS. This series has the perfect opportunity to explore Vader's regret like no other before. Even the Dark Horse series set in this period didn't have this good of a chance for it, because they were either mini series (Darth Vader and..., Purge, and some issues weren't told from Vader's perspective) or they didn't focus on Vader much (Dark Times).

15. StormTrooperPrecision

StormTrooperPrecision Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2017

Can you tell me where I can watch/read the story of Maul killing 2 Jedi pre TPM?

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Anakin does talk like that in Clone Wars though. When he's very angry. And we know Vader is always angry. Listen to the stuff he was spouting on Mustafar, it's not that different from what he says in this comic.

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I thought Clone Wars 2003 had the most Vader-esque Anakin.

He even says "I have you now" ! Mat Lucas is a really underrated Anakin. That Hayden Christensen deadpan is spot on.

TrandoJedi, spicer and cwustudent like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I almost read that as Matt Lucas!

JediFett10 and Vialco like this.
  19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    StormTrooperPrecision

Wait for it like the rest of the world when they decide to showcase how Maul & other Sith Lords of Bane's legacy acquired their own kyber crystals. Who knows, maybe Sidious and Maul just had to stealthy steal Jedi Lightsabers off of living Jedi Knights and not kill them yet. Sidious & Maul obviously built their own sabers and obtained their own kybers. I was of course postulating based on new data presented. They[the Sith] don't seem allowed to loot them from the dead, they have to be taken by force, not found and the crystals have be then corrupted by the Sith Lord's evil will and personality once in hand. And it would not be the first time if they ignored their own canon guide, as Darth Maul was responsible for killing other Jedi prior to TPM in now Legends( ex. Anoon Bondara, Siolo Ur Manka & Darsha Assant).

"The saber of the Sith is not given, it is taken." That was the lesson Sidious taught Vader in this comic as they watched as Sidious had ordered all the Jedi lightsabers destroyed in front of Vader

If what Sidious taught was indeed correct and irregardless its not just sending an expendable post Mustafar failed Vader on a trial to see if he's still worthy, it still means all Sith Lords(and presumably even Sith servant Dark Jedi Assassins/ Inquisitors) have to capture or kill Jedi for their own personal kybers. Seems such kybers arent random either, but have to be specifically special in trial by combat and death match survivalist stuff as part of the training to Sithhood. Maul has two, Sidious has two, Tyranus and Vader have one. Maul already had his crystals well after he was Sith Lord, cyborg Vader is already a Sith Lord but now needs to get a new personal kyber since his former Jedi one was lost and it belonged to "another"(Anakin and Vader are two separate people/characters to both Sidious and cyborg Vader and even to Kenobi).

If not from taking them off random dead Jedi remains or fresh killed bodies , then how ? If they're not being able nor allowed to loot them from just any dead Jedi(Vader was not allowed any of the lightsabers of the dead Jedi on Coruscant even though he killed many and clones did others just prior), how if they are not found like younglings nor are they synthetic like the EU. Vader was not even allowed Yoda's lightsaber to corrupt, Sidious had that too destroyed. What is the explanation then.

They do not seem allowed to just pass them down and Sith Lords have to kill other Sith to take their places. Did Sidious and Maul kill Plagueis together and divided up the spoilers? Did Plagueis have his own personal lightsaber using assassins that Sidious had to contend with when was an apprentice, we do not know. Was Malachor where all Sith Lords post Bane acquired their crystals off of dead Sith or dead Jedi. We need answers but are given bread crumbs. But so often the simplest answer is the correct one. Maul had his red ligthsaber before cyborg Vader. So how important is the red colored blade, Sith disciples are also sporting their own personal crimson blades(from Ventress to Savage to Vos to eventually the Inquisitors and then Kylo).

Sith Lords Maul, Sidious, Plagueis and others may of killed Jedi as part of their own trials when they constructed their own lightsabers. As the bending to their will the taken Jedi kybers seems paramount no matter who, as any lightsaber would do. Although lightsabers, even red ones can be "healed" or even choose another. In canon they're more like Potter wands now. Even how Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber went to Rey instead of the weakened Kylo/Ben and he was a far more matured Force user than her supposedly. .

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe Tyranus killed Sifo-Dyas to get the crystal he uses? With the story of how Sifo-Dyas died in the crash orchestrated by the Pykes - being misinformation - when the Pykes found Sifo-Dyas's body, the battle had already taken place?

It does seem like that Jedi's death would be the most important one to the start of Dooku's career as Tyranus.

darklordoftech and Vialco like this.
  21. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    TLDR: because Sidious tells Vader he must kill and take the saber of a Jedi, the reader could assume all Sith Sabers are from their murdered Jedi victims. Maul has two blades = he killed two Jedi and corrupted their crystals.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

cwustudent likes this.
  22. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Nope, we see Sifo-Dyases lightsaber in Clone Wars.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The lightsaber, yes - but not necessarily the crystal. Did anyone ignite it onscreen?

Vialco likes this.
  24. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Yes, Plo Koon did ignite it in the first scene of the episode.

cwustudent and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair enough. If he was a dual-wielder they'd probably have mentioned it.