main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Willow News-EU, Sequels, everything

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jedi_jra, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Something I don't see discussed before: Willow Ufgood's surname comes from a mention in The Letters of JRR Tolkien that in 1944 Tolkien briefly considered changing Sam Gamgee's last name to Sam Goodchild. Luckily, Christopher Tolkien talked him out of it. This sort of detail proves what an uber-nerd George is.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  2. potoooooooo

potoooooooo Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2017
    I read the novelization and the Sourcebook when they first came out and in them another humanoid race was mentioned. IIRC they were called Poohas or Poquas (something like that) they are described in the Sourcebook as subhuman savages on armored warhorses and in the novelization there is a scene where are group of them are playing kickball with human skulls. I think it was said that they were hairless and covered in blue warpaint. All there was in the movie was a bald guy with a few blue tattoos at that shady inn Willow visits.

Does anyone remember what these things were called? Were they supposed to be the movie's version of orcs? Why didn't they show up in the final film?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    LAJ edit - merging with the Willow thread

4. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
  5. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    They were Pohas in the novelization, but in a leaked draft of the script they were called Picts. Probably changed because someone felt they were too directly based on Robert E Howard's Picts from his Bran Mak Morn stories, rather than the historical tribes.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I SO want this to happen!

Jedi Daniel and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    A Willow sequel would be great.

Lulu Mars and Jedi Daniel like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Willow is on Disney+! Had no idea it was there haven't seen it in .... decades probably so yah definitely checking it out.

9. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Yeah to heck with remaking the original. Just make a new one set years later. So tired of remakes.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    yodaman_reborn likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Still need to see Willow

12. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    If it doesn't star Warwick Davis, I hope that at least the main protagonist is a Nelwin. I'd rather that than a spinoff about grownup Elora Dannon.

14. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Elora Danan: The High Cost of Living

(in which we learn how to prevent accidental spellcasting by making sure your magic wand is always properly sheathed...)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If you have a Disney+ sub it's literally sitting right there! I added to my list on the first day but haven't watched it yet too but I'm aiming for it to be one of my first 2020 movie watches just cuz.

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Well, folks! Looks like this thing is a go! The young Kasdan tweeted yesterday an image of a hat pinned to a blank bulletin board. The hat itself had an image. An image of our good friend Willow! His caption simply states "The office is open"

As long as this is not a reboot/remake, and instead a continuation of the film, then this is really great news!

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yep, I just read about that now. Really looks as though this thing is actually happening!

GunganSlayer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    watched Willow for the first time in about, oh, probably 30 years on Disney+ yesterday. I remembered some bits, mostly the stuff that freaked me out as a kid. Some things show it's age but some parts are pretty solid. I can't tell if there's too much of the littler French guys or not enough. the LOTR influence is mostly at the start and end but it is a bit more Star Wars than LOTR overall. Funnily enough, the movie gets pretty dark and violent but it's still a PG rating on Disney+ and it only says "for some tobacco use" when there's like a lot of attempted murder and some blood in it. Let's face it, this would probably get a PG-13 nowadays. (of course, almost all action movies get PG-13 anyway)

Warwick Davis I also have watched in Life's Too Short and his various parts over the years but hadn't seen him in a lead in so long. Life's Too Short showed how funny he could be and that isn't in Willow so much but there's a few hints of it here. "He's that lousy farmer too, get him, aghhhh!!" Also does anyone have a counter for how many times Willow says "Madmaritigan!" cuz it's a hell of a lot. Kilmer is great, though, and it's debatable if he's the main character or Willow is in the middle there.

I think a D+ series could work, though. There is a lot of worldbuilding at the fringes that could be expanded. Could be DisneyPlus PG-13 Game of Thrones (because as much IP as Disney has, what do they have that falls into that LOTR/GoT high fantasy stuff, best bet is Willow) But put Davis in the lead for sure and give him a few laughs cuz he's great.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Togruta likes this.
  20. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    Ron Howard confirms development in interview with Kevin Smith!

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    For me, Willow without Madmartigan holds very little interest. That's probably at the top of my list of reasons I didn't like that sequel novel, I think it was called Shadow Moon... ?

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    Would give anything for an update on this. Ron? Kasden? Anything...?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I follow the official FB group for Willow and they just posted this today.

[​IMG]

25. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Can't wait for Willow the series. I watch Willow every year during the Holiday season.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.