main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017

It would be funny if it were a variation on the Jurassic Park theme.[face_dancing]

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    I refuse to believe that Finn and Rose theme is off table now that Rian says there won't be a central romance of Han and Leia stature. What do you think? No love theme? I was really looking forward to it on previous pages. =((

3. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Leia's theme was originally the "love theme" of Luke and Leia. Williams forges his own path.

4. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    We'll get another slightly tweaked theme for TLJ...

[​IMG]

5. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Excellent! Never exactly sure why they never recorded it for AOTC and ROTS (a decision that ended up disqualifying them for Oscar best score nominations, I believe)

6. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I really, really, really, really need to hear this theme again. Expanded and repeated multiple times.

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Its absurd that TPM didn't get a nod

Also a good thing they're not using TFA's weak version. Fix that first chord.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    You guys are talking about the main opening crawl music right??

Howard Hand likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the imperial march really comes through in this version. Vibes of "Hope" from Rogue One.

10. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017

I respect Gustavo Dudamel's love for the Triangle, but honestly I prefer my SW movies to open with a nice loud. Baaarrrppp.:D

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Is this Jedi Steps suite all composed by Williams or was it extended by someone else?

12. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    It's Williams

13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Some of Williams' best music, right there.

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Awesome! I recorded that bad boy! Great stuff!

15. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    He did say at the LAA event that he composed a love theme for Luke and Leia, but I had no idea it was that one. I got the impression that it just wasn't used. [face_hypnotized]

16. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Back in TFA. When did we get the track titles prior to the film premiere?

17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Something like three days after Thanksgiving 2015, via Amazon.

Howard Hand likes this.
  18. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Close. It was actually on Thanksgiving day itself.

19. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Interesting factoid: Williams has said he made Rey's (AMAZING!!!!) theme deliberately NON-romantic.

20. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    I was looking for it in another thread and found it. Here's JW on Rey's theme (with the no love theme comment):

But in "The Force Awakens," he did branch out in interesting ways, epitomized in his theme for the new character Rey. “I fell in love immediately with Daisy Ridley,” Williams said of the actress at the center of the new film. “She is just a superstar born.”
    Williams introduces the young, resourceful scavenger with delicate and vulnerable instruments (flute, piano and the pixieish chimes of a celeste), which are juxtaposed against the enormity of her galactic backdrop. The chords in Rey’s theme are purposefully related to Williams’ well-known Force theme. (He interweaves the two during the end credits.)

“It’s an interesting challenge with her,” he said, “because it doesn’t suggest a love theme in any way. It suggests a female adventurer, but with great strength. She’s a fighter, she’s infused with the Force, and it needed to be something that was strong but thoughtful.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...music-score-john-williams-20151217-story.html

21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Does anyone have a link to that Boston pops arrangement that works outside the US?

22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I must also note that, as suggested by that quote, JW is pretty used to composing "romantic" music for SW. On a podcast I listened to that discussed JW's SW music, a music composition student/major/whatnot point out that even the music for Han in the OT is "romantic" in tone. JW must have been specifically instructed NOT to make Rey's theme romantic.

(Although it does sound rather balletic, doesn't it?)

Jacques who likes this.
  23. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Can't wait for "Luke's Noble End." Gonna be epic.

I think there's a semantic misunderstanding here. In music, art and literature "romantic" doesn't only refer to love. It also means "idealized" - containing the spirit of high adventure.

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    That may be why JW used the words he did instead? The guy talking on the podcast I heard also seemed to use "romantic" more in the traditional sense (probably because he knew that most of the audience woukdn't really get the "lingo").

25. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Say what? Where did you hear this? I don't know why Williams would have made that mistake. It was obvious that Han and Leia were the romantic couple (that kiss Leia gave Luke was just to make Han jealous).:confused: