main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Here and at least one other page.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I still wonder what happened to that. Don't remember it ever being referenced in FOTJ.

3. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Accidental doublepost. Something's going down with posting that makes it lag.

Vialco and vncredleader like this.
  4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

A lot of things went bye bye between LOTF and FOTJ. Why do you think I intend to ignore them now.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Given the amount of damage the Black Annie sustained at the Battle of Shedu Maad (loss of both shield generator domes, destruction of the primary bridge, shattered cloaking come) I'd think she was taken off the front lines by the Jedi Coalition and eventually decommissioned, but not before being gone over with a fine-tooth comb for evidence to use in prosecuting GA war criminals. This was the ship that set fire to half of Kashyyyk after all and blew up Fondor's capital city.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Actually, yeah, even if damage wasn't an issue I think it would have been decommissioned just for being politically toxic.

Nickname320 likes this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Given the amount of damage the Black Annie sustained at the Battle of Shedu Maad (loss of both shield generator domes, destruction of the primary bridge, shattered cloaking come) I'd think she was taken off the front lines by the Jedi Coalition and eventually decommissioned, but not before being gone over with a fine-tooth comb for evidence to use in prosecuting GA war criminals. This was the ship that set fire to half of Kashyyyk after all and blew up Fondor's capital city.

8. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I wonder if we'll see a capital ship named the HAN SOLO....

9. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I wonder if EP9 will give us a capital ship named the HAN SOLO?.....

10. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Unless the NR Navy had some aircraft carrier equivalent not at Hosnian Prime at the time of destruction, I'm thinking it'll be a short war. So unless the NR renamed an already operational ship, there is no way there can ever be a ship named Han Solo.
    Just not enough time to build a new ship while the undefeatable FO fleet is coming for the survivors. JJ really dug a hole for the NR.

Also, why First Order? Logically there would be at least a Second Order so that even if NR destroys the First Order, the Second Order is on its way to destroy them. As I said, no way Two Jedi and a survivor of maybe 10 ships at the most?

---------

More on topic, I just want more ship varieties from First Order. I mean, with ship shields on, rebel snub fighters can easily destroy your shield generators. Then your bridge is right there, unprotected by armor. And after your bridge is gone, obviously there is no alternate control center. It's a design flaw. You got one ISD destroyed maybe it's an accident. After two? Five? Seriously. And don't get me started on them tIEs with no shields. The rebel alliance is able to afford Fresia incom X-Wings and equip them with shelds? It's pretty obvious who has more money.

Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  11. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    There's a simple and easy way to fix a bunch of X-Wings blowing up your ISD. It's called point defense laser cannons. Stick a few of them on your ship, along with that have locking concussion missiles. This'll rip the X-Wings to shreds. Imagine if the trench runs on both Death Stars were fitted with point defense cannons. And it's not like the technology isn't there, hell a number of Clone Wars era ships have Point Defense weaponry. I put it down to arrogance personally 'who cares if we lose an ISD? We got thousands upon thousands more to go!' aside from Rebel plot power of course.

Snafu55 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  12. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I highly doubt the dozen warships and no shipyards at Hosnian Prime represents the entirety of the New Republic Fleet. Mon Cala, Corellia and the rest still exist.

JediBatman, Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  13. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    The details are still unclear right now, but I do think we should understand there to have been more ships there than the relatively small number of exploding dots onscreen.

Snafu55 likes this.
  14. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Then what was point of demonstrating starkiller base? The FO then clearly wasn't ready.

When I was watching the movie, I thought Starkiller base destroyed every single star system in the NR. But now Wook tells me it as only one single planet with the NR ships.

What was the point of 500 times bigger than a death star if it can only destroy one planet at a time?

15. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    A single planet at time, yes - but it could destroy ANY planet, even from halfway across the galaxy.

I mean, there's no denying that the whole firing sequence is kind of confusing and poorly done, but it's kind of bizarre to come away thinking SKB was *useless*.

16. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    no when I left the theater I thought the Starkillber base destroyed every single planet of the NR.

Then I came home and after a month or two looked over this forum and the wookieepedia. Now I know it was only Hosnian Prime that got destroyed with only the NR ships destroyed.

17. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    If every planet in the New Republic were destroyed I'd have dropped this franchise like a suitcase bomb in Hitler's bunker.

18. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Same. It's Space Opera -- the heroes win in the end.

vncredleader and Star_Desperado like this.
  19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    You wait and see!
    Yeah the Resistance will win. The New Republic could easily be gone so they can restore the asymmetric nature of the OT.

20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I know that, you know that, but the film makers don't. Han's line to Chewie saying "I told you we should have double checked the Western Reaches" was originally just "I told you we should have double checked the Outer Rim". Not to mention Abrams also directed Star Trek 2009, the movie where a star going supernova threatened to destroy the entire galaxy.

Sadly Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale , and we are at the mercy of said writers. Just as the TFA novelization had to cook up some technobabble to explain how the hell the destruction of Hosnian Prime could be seen in the skies of a world millions of miles away, future tie in material may have to give us some sort of hand wave explanation like "The First Order sabotaged the Mon Cala Shipyards" or "There was a big off screen battle over Corellia that destroyed the rest of the ships."

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I know that, you know that, but the film makers don't. Han's line to Chewie saying "I told you we should have double checked the Western Reaches" was originally just "I told you we should have double checked the Outer Rim". Not to mention Abrams also directed Star Trek 2009, the movie where a star going supernova threatened to destroy the entire galaxy.

Sadly Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale , and we are at the mercy of said writers. Just as the TFA novelization had to cook up some technobabble to explain how the hell the destruction of Hosnian Prime could be seen in the skies of a world millions of miles away, future tie in material may have to give us some sort of hand wave explanation like "The First Order sabotaged the Mon Cala Shipyards" or "There was a big off screen battle over Corellia that destroyed the rest of the ships."

22. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    well my reading of the scene was they (the NR losers) were watching the death ray from the starkiller base moments before their planet was destroyed by said ultimate power in the universe. They didn't stand a chance.
    moment of death on one of them planets.

23. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    The line is the Hosnian system -- I think the intended reading of the scene is the destruction of the Hosnian system and just that is destroyed.

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    And even if they don't SKB is the worst way to have them lose. To easy and quick

25. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
  26. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It is also important to remember that just because they could theoretically have a massive fleet doesn't mean they actually do. The Old Republic was even bigger and it had no navy what so ever.

Disarming was a choice on their part, and their is no downward limit to how small they could shrink it.

27. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Well it's important to remember that the NR did not disarm. It separated its fleet. The Old Republic having no navy is a VERY specific situation due to the Ruusan Reformations. While yes those are not technically canon anymore as of right now, the idea that the Republic was not allowed to have a fleet before hand seems to be kept. I am 99% certain the whole deliberation about paramilitary groups over government funded military will be intact still

JediBatman and Snafu55 like this.
  28. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I choose to interpret the situation as being the largest and most powerful capital ships the Republic had- their first-rate "ships of the Line"- were stationed in the Hosnian system, which was totally destroyed by the Starkiller. So what your left with *should*, in theory, be dozens of patrol craft and second- and third-rate ships that are part of disparate planetary and system defense fleets; a military force that far outpaces and outnumbers the fleet the Rebellion had before Endor, but unable to match the First Order Navy toe-to-toe without relying on non-traditional tactics.

And I presume a few other planets and their fleets are quickly annexed by the First Order. I guess we could hope the film's explicitly mention fights for shipyards, but that might be too practical for the creators.

JediBatman and Nickname320 like this.
  29. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    In The Force Awakens visual guide, the New Republic Defense Force was mentioned to be the largest fleet in the galaxy. Now, I'd assume that was a reference to it being the largest "known" fleet, as we know that the First Order was building a massive navy in the Unknown Regions. It's also important to note that the New Republic's membership all had the right to maintain standing navies for local defense, presumably with a clause that allowed the Senate to "federalize" forces in the event of a crisis.

Now, I assume that the number of hulls in the NRDF was probably pretty extensive. The issue is that they aren't modern, cutting edge designs. The Resurgent-class Star Destroyer is said to outgun any NRDF warship, with their state of the art, kyber-powered turbolasers. It's also pretty telling that of the ships over Hosnian Prime, the three easily distinguishable designs are the MC80 Home One and Liberty-types, plus the Nebulon-series frigate. All the concept art of TFA also shows the NRDF being essentially composed of legacy designs from the GCW.

Given the peace that has reigned for two decades, plus the disarmament/de-militarization policy of the New Republic, it would make sense that the main federal fleet of the NRDF would be composed of upgraded/modernized legacy warships. There wouldn't have been a need for a New Class, like we saw in Legends. Hell, only one Starhawk, the Unity, survived the Battle of Jakku. I don't see the Senate authorizing a bunch more of them when the war ended. So I imagine a core fleet build around MC80's & Starhawks, supported by frigates and corvettes, that is the main battle fleet for the NRDF. The various members probably don't maintain large capital ships, focusing on smaller designs for patrol, anti-piracy actions, and stuff like that.

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.