main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Baron Fel Timeline?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dread Pirate Roberts, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Spoiler alert to anyone who has not read the X-Wing Comics or Book series.

I have just finished book five, Wraith Squadron, and I have read all the X-Wing comics.

At the end of the comic series, Soontir Fel was apart of Rogue Squadron. Then we don't hear anything about him for a while until he is mentioned in Wraith Squadron, where he is suddenly a member of the Empire again!

Is there a book or comic detailing how Baron Fel left the Alliance and rejoined the Empire? Because I am totally lost.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's a "lost story" that takes place shortly after the comic series that answers some of these questions, but it was never released, and we've only gotten vague hints about it's contents from Michael Stackpole.

BUT, if you read the next two X-Wing books you'll understand what's going on in Wraith Squadron, and then if you get to the Hand of Thrawn books you'll understand what happened to Fel a little more.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Thank you! He is definitely an interesting character. I will do some investigating into this lost story as well.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I remember hearing Stackpole say that he and Zahn tried something like four or five times to get the Re-enlistment of Baron Fel story approved, in various guises (short story, single issue comic, comic miniseries, short story series, novella) but never had any luck.

Barriss_Coffee and Zeta1127 like this.
  5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Would've been a nice replacement for everything post-NJO.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The near-absolute-nothing that we got of Baron Fel post-1998 is just so damn perplexing. He was a fan-favourite character, and when Del Rey/LFL wanted to do an alien invasion storyline, Zahn handed them one on a silver platter with Baron Fel playing a central part... and it was promptly ignored. Then Jon and Jon made his descendants rule the new Empire and so they made Jagged the Imperial Head of State... but thoughout nine books of Farce of the Jedi Jag did little more than cuddle with Jaina and his family wasn't mentioned once. They weren't even at his damn wedding.

Was their an embargo on using him? Seriously. The fans wanted to see him.

7. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Maybe Baron Fel objected to Jagged's wedding to Jaina.

And slightly off topic. But Jaina Soio is traitor to the Jedi as far as I'm concerned.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, her becoming the Lost 21st after being ordered to murder her own brother is entirely understandable from my perspective.

9. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I've been writing a essay on the schism that happened within the Jedi Order after Luke's death and before Legacy for a while.

10. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Man, I wish Stackpole and Zahn would release the story details. That story's never happening now, there's no reason not to.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Honestly, I think Baron Fel isn't exactly someone the average person at Del Ray or Lucasfilm would think merited their own story. He's a non-film character who has a tangential relationship to a minor film character. I, Jedi had the title to write it but I think it was probably too much of a risk to do an entire story around a comic books-only character.

12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Kyle Katarn had three books. A big chunk of the entire Del Rey Clone Wars centered around characters seen for about three seconds on screen. Pretty much everything in SWAJ in the 90s was about completely new characters with no relation to movie people. The entire X-Wing series had, at best, minor links to movie characters. TOTJ had none. It doesn't seem odd to think that Baron Fel would have been able to have his own story in the 90s.

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Too much of a risk to do an entire story around a comics-only character? It was a six-issue comic series, not a 500-page novel like I, Jedi. There were and still are plenty of SW comic series about comics-only characters --- Tales of the Jedi, Knights of the Old Republic, Legacy, Dr. Aphra, etc. Zayne got fifty-seven issues; I'm sure six for Baron would have been OK. It would have functioned fine as a coda to the X-Wing comics, and if Thrawn, Isard, and X-wing fighters had featured prominently on the covers it would have had appeal to more average fans too.

If Dark Horse didn't want to publish it, it was probably because they feared low sales on account of the X-Wing series having low sales in general (that's why it was canceled, per "Drawn by the Force" In Issue 83 of Insider). They probably would have nixed any sort of semi-sequel to the series, even if it were about Wedge or Luke --- they waited seven years to do Rogue Leader, and that mini-series seemed only to exist so that they could beef up the first Rogue Squadron Omnibus.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    She wasn't exactly ordered...she asked for the job. And made no attempt to take him alive. I lost all my respect for Jaina that day.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Jacen Solo who died that day was not Jacen Solo in any meaningful sense. He was a man who would have wanted to be put down lest he murder more. The Jacen Solo of the NJO worked to save his worst enemies in the Vong but this one murdered countless people for his daughter's POSSIBILITY of being corrupted.

16. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Guys, I was talking about how she married an Imperial Head of State who took over the chief of state for the entire GFFA in the guise of democracy but actually military junta, and allowed the Imperial Knights be organized to serve the "Emperor". Jedi aren't even supposed to be servants of the Force, but Guardians of Peace and Justice.
    So Bash Jaina. Bash on! She deserves it.

17. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Jaina has a very different role as First Lady of the Empire. That isn't treasonous, not by any means.

And there's legal precedent, in that Tahiri served as Hand to Jagged Fel without complaint. While Veila was a criminal in the GFFA, it wasn't due to her service as Hand. The role of Jedi as servant of the force is entirely unofficial.

18. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    It's not treasonous in the POV of the Imperial Remnants, she's a heroine in their eyes.
    But what about the faction of the GFFA made up of Rebel Alliance?

Yes, there is legal precedent. I in a stand for Navara Ven can only plead temporary insanity on Darth Veila's place. Darth Veila is not Tahiri. I suspect Tahiri Veila was under the influence of Riina Kwaad at that time.

19. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Treason is a legal position, you either are or you aren't. When Tahiri was serving as Imperial Hand, at no point was the act of being the Hand considered treasonous.

20. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Well Think about all those defectors on either side of World Wars (specifically, Vichy France) Are those who served in Vichy French's collaborationist army/navy guilty of treason or not? If so, why weren't all Vichy French army/navy veterans punished?

This is getting too much political for my comfort. But my point was just because she loves someone, Jaina should think of political ramifications. She's a sword of the Jedi. But now she's just an political opportunist. Yay! I was poor, cause Jedi aren't supposed to be thinking materialistically. But Hey! Now I'm an Empress!"

Edit: To be fair, I blame the portrayal of Jagged Fel as first High Moff, then Emperor. Those writers did not do a good job writing Jag's career in my opiniion.

21. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Umm, can we please get back to actually discussing the topic. We went dreadfully offtrack.

If you want to discuss the bad writing of LOTF and FOTJ, go find the original thread please.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Difference with that is that France had surrendered in 1940 so after that it was not at war with Nazi Germany, so it wasn't treason for them

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I actually am one of the people who felt Jaina becoming Empress was DEEPLY troubling but redeeming the Empire was the goal and has little to do with Baron Fel.

I will say I'm sorry the Hand of Thrawn ended up having no role in NJO.

Unless we're meant to assume the Chiss absorbed it.

24. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Jaina as Empress is troubling from an Out-of-Universe perspective. From an in-universe one, it's not really that strange. She's reverse Mara-ing.

Besides, who else would we ship her with? Kyp? Zekk? They both kinda suck.

25. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Going back to the original thread, even if Legends material was being made by Del Rey, I doubt Michael A. Stackpole will return judging from his interview about the direction the publisher went with under Troy Denning.

Shame too, would've been nice to see how Fel and his wife (and possibly Davin and Chak depending on when they were actually born) ended up in the Empire of the Hand. Considering that it was created before NJO, I don't think the Fel children were around yet.