main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Looks pretty good, when's it out again? Sometime next year?

2. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

First Marvel movie of 2018, February of next year.

Revanfan1 and starfish like this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I finally got to see Doctor Strange today, since it finally reached Netflix recently. Marvel continues to hit it out of the park, and I definitely looking forward to everything that is upcoming.

I also saw the first round of Sci-Fi summer premieres that I have been waiting on, Dark Matter and Wynonna Earp, and I am greatly anticipating Killjoys at the end of the month.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Haha, I really appreciate it. That guy was definitely not much of an actor, but he played pretty much the only character he could ever play, since he's like that in real life (on a side note, he's going crazy for real at the moment). The main guy though was a real professional.

Made a second one not long ago. It's starring the mother of this movie, basically a one woman movie about grief. The gist is she goes through her daily routine every day, hypnotically and emotionlessly doing a bunch of housekeeping stuff. The film grows more unsettling as it goes on, and we realize, of course, her family are dead. The previous housekeeping is undone as she destroys everything she's spent the film tidying, all so that she can give herself something to do the next day. Not a happy one. It should be done editing soon.

And working on a third one now. Hoping it will lead somewhere, but at this point only one way to find out.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I can't decide if this is one of the best or one of the worst teaser trailers I've ever seen. On the one hand it's really cool, on the other hand it might be too cool for a TEASER trailer - i.e. a trailer for a movie that's still not coming out for quite a while.

Kylun likes this.
  6. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Mine too, definitely one of my most favorite takes on the Dark Knight.

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Terrible to hear about Adam West's passing. I did a video with some friends about our memories of him if anyone wants to hear.

9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

It's sad not terrible. He was an old man who'd lived a good life. That is more than most get but RIP Adam West

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Book news! And it sounds great:

[​IMG]

Finally, a new Sisko book! Looks to be the start of a new series too!

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but it is still terrible to hear that someone died. You really wanna nitpick my wording when referring the the death of a human being? Like that is really a priority?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Something needs to change with my current situation. I received my Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems (i.e. programming and web development) in 2013 and my Master of Information Systems Management (i.e. management and project management) in 2015, but have had almost no luck finding a job, with or without my degrees, besides one month last October and November as a substitute para with my alma mater school district. My dad will soon be remarrying and has already bought a new house, while I am currently living in the house I grew up in which has now become even more of a temporary arrangement than it was before, but I kind of don't want to have to move in with them if at all possible. Other than a portfolio for positions related to my degrees, I have no idea what will help me get a job, because a portfolio shouldn't matter for positions not related to my degrees.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Applying for jobs compared to uni study is utterly counter-intuitive. There are no clear structures to navigate with clear outcomes. It may even come down to luck: The luck of looking for the right job at the right time, of being the best candidate on the day out of a group interviewed.

It's less about what you studied and far more the skills you obtained from it, coupled with a bit of luck.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am now a bachelor in history, now comes the part were I have no idea what to do now.

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    A Bachelor in History, well that kind of explains why you ask so many questions. I actually considered studying history at a four year school, since it is my most favorite subject besides math and science, but I ultimately decided against it because there isn't a lot you can do with a history degree.

Force Smuggler and Gamiel like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What you're both going to probably find is the job market doesn't care as much about your degree as the uni you studied at claimed it would.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    They sure haven't so far, all they seem to care about is experience, which is really frustrating because how are supposed to get the experience then.

Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Indeed:
    • You don't get a job without experience
    • You don't get experience without a job

19. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    They expect people to work for free during their busy university study period with unpaid internships.

Then at the end they just say, we don't have any paid openings. Buh bye.

Perhaps an education degree and start teaching?

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh, my uni did not make any such claim, I made the decision to waste time studding a happening in 1830 on the (then) Swedish colony S:t Barthélemy in the Carrabin by myself. :p

I think the original idea was that I wanted a title to go with all the study points I have collected when I did not have anything better going on.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know the feeling.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Turns out a Philosophy degree comes in very handy in a political and bureaucratic environment.

If you're good at it - and I am - the support role I do practically is acting as Bond's Q / Technomage.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    cthugha likes this.
  24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    For DC Comics fans:

Apart from Supergirl (which me and my daughter are enjoying), are there any main Rebirth Era first volumes that are enjoyable and accessible on their own and aren't just extended apologies for long-time comics fans who didn't like the New 52?

I mean, looking into some of them, it looks like I'd still have to do some research to begin at the #1s to explain the background to me (and my daughter!) as to The Convoluted State of Things.

I bet many of these meta-stories are really cool and interesting, and that with research and background I'd enjoy them - but is there a projected end to the "We Need To Explain An In-Universe Reason For The Perceived Bad Quality Of The New 52 And Justify Your Dislike For Them", and an actual fresh launch? Or IS this the status quo?

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Best solution to reading any DC book is not to worry about the continuity bollocks.

Gamiel likes this.
  26. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Except that it appears that this is presently literally the main plot of key books like the Wonder Woman and Superman titles.

Ulicus likes this.