main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Woohoo

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but those are written by Rucka and Tomasi who make it work for them - a hard trick to pull off.

Once you go into trying to understand DC continuity, forever will it fry your brain.

3. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    This is awesome on so many levels. The thought that people considered computers and computer games as revolutionary tools for changing minds for the better makes me nostalgic on the one hand, and makes me want to pick up that thread on the other. The only place where I still see some of that enthusiasm is in the cryptocurrency community, but even there the game seems to be getting old without fulfilling the big promises of the early days. The extropists are gone, hacker culture has gone mostly stale, and the current AI rush -- which would be the place where one might expect some similar dynamics to apply -- seems like it's rushing forward without any big visions or visionaries (except Kurzweil, whom I still can't take seriously). Sad. Is there another Tim Leary anywhere on the horizon?

blackmyron likes this.
  4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

:confused:

Vthuil likes this.
  5. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    So, has the server glitchfest been fixed yet or do I need to wait a few more days?

6. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    posting and editing seems fine now. Not sure about emails.

7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Like a lot of the voices associated with the new ducktales, but have to admit the opening theme is pretty weak compared to the original.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe it's time to create a new paradigm - or maybe it's happening already somewhere and we just aren't seeing it yet.

In the meantime, back to reading the Sprawl trilogy.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The music is inferior but I think the visuals (esp the running theme of the number one dime) may be better.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    :luke: I'm confused right now.

Ulicus likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  12. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    siiigh

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Did you read the essay? :)

BTW - I write for Grimdark Magazine.

[​IMG]

I suspect whatever you think the word is, it's not what I do.

14. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I did read the essay, and I can't even say I'm entirely in disagreement with the sentiments about Starcraft having some legitimately good writing (and that the original game's is superior in many ways to Starcraft II's - though largely for unrelated reasons to what you wrote*). I've just come to regard the whole "deconstructive-ambiguity-downbeat means good writing" notion to be very tedious, and the title in context of your post was particularly unfortunate in that regard.

*Just in case someone asks - my feeling is that the original Starcraft is probably objectively better writing not only than its sequel, but also just about everything else Blizzard Entertainment has done, since it's actually telling an original story instead of taking obvious cues from Star Wars. For reasons that are probably themselves obvious, I still do like stories that take obvious cues from Star Wars, but they're still inferior to a game that did its own things.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have no illusions that it will happen but I hope it will make a crossover with Paperinik.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I pretty much agree with you there but am a huge fan of the deconstructive morality trope to the point I'm very disappointed it's not the case in the new trilogy. :)

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Remember when it was revealed DuckTales!Launchpad and DarkwingDuck!Launchpad were not in continuity with each other? Mind. Blown.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Excellent work, though I have some quibbles:
    -IIRC the heroes of FF7 were called eco-terrorists a lot in the beginning of the story.
    -Personally, the Sons of Korhal struck me as pretty creepy right from the get go. Everything about Mensk screamed bad guy to me.
    -The Zerg very much had individual personalities. I loved how everyone was annoyed by Zasz.

Still, I mostly agree and it was a good read.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I definitely appreciate StarCraft. Diablo, via Diablo and Diablo II was my introduction to Blizzard, followed very closely by StarCraft. I still haven't completely beaten StarCraft and Brood War, I have been stuck on Eye of the Storm for a few years now and I am half way through Episode V. Everything I have seen and what little I have played of the Starter Edition have cemented my desire to play StarCraft II eventually. Unfortunately, the gameplay almost gets in the way of the story, which is why I like StarCraft II a little better.

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Hey, Brent Weeks! I need to get back to reading his Lightbringer Trilogy Tetralogy Series. Really enjoyed the first two books.

Dante1120 likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Ahh, one of those.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's funny because the first book even has "Lightbringer Trilogy" on the spine.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think that's why Patrick Rothfuss never finished Kingkiller Chronicles. There's no way to finish it in 3 books.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Sad to hear Stephen Furst passed away, will always remember him for Vir Cotto and his little wave:

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well since FOX figured for some reason not to give Neill Blomkamp an Alien movie, he just went and made his own Sci-Fi Short Film with Sigourney Weaver and put it on the internet for free. More a concept movie it is certainly deeply fascinating and utterly NSFW!!! Blood, Violence and Guts to the extreme, so watch it at your own peril.

Senpezeco and spicer like this.
  26. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I liked it a lot, although the dialogue could've been better IMO. Looking forward for the rest of Volume 1.

Gorefiend likes this.