main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    THERE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NO DISCUSSION OF EPISODE VIII RUMORS OUTSIDE OF THE MOVIE THREAD. THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That warning aside (sorry, it's an absolute hard line) -- we can only go off of what we know. And what we know isn't good.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    In any case, I am a fan of moral ambiguity in Star Wars the same way I am for it in Starcraft.

I want to see some heroic Imperials AND First Order soldiers.

But the focus on Operation: Cinder bugs me as that is like the LEAST POSSIBLE heroic mission to do other than a mission to fire the Death Star at Alderaan.

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Ditto on moral ambiguity. And Cinder seems pretty un-justifiable IMO. At least with Alderaan it was a hostile target. Tarkin might not have cared but a normal trooper probably thought it was done because the world was a Rebellion member.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, I think George Lucas was going for as over-the-top evil as he could with blowing up Alderaan.

6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Even the trailer bit we got seems to imply Papa Versio isn't really comfortable with Cinder, and I'm willing to bet money that if one of Inferno Squad's members is supposed to see the big picture and join the New Republic, it'll be on that mission.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    One possibility would be Inferno Squadron does a Heel Face Turn but it's not actually one which causes them to turn to the New Republic. Basically, like in the middle of Operation: Cinder, they capture Luke Skywalker but end up working with him to protect whatever planet is being targeted by Operation: Cinder and the Imperial forces there.

THEN they decide they're no longer Imperials who can stay with the Empire and seek a new cause to join.

Ending up with the First Order ala Rae Sloane.

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    "We can no longer stand for the Empire's wanton evil and destruction. Snoke: sign us up."

Vthuil and AusStig like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So Papa Versio's first name is Garrick. Admiral Garrick Versio.

I'm still gonna call him Papa Versio tho.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    You THINK that's weird but Walter Williams wrote Spec Ops: The Line.

A game which is about going after a renegade military commander by increasingly doing terrible things until you are actually worse than him. Not that I think this game will be anything like SO:TL but it's also a Star Wars game about being an unreconstructed Imperial, which is pretty crazy itself.

Karl0413 and BobaMatt like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll say this: if this game is unable to persuade me to support the First Order, nothing will.

A strong narrative about unreconstructed Imperials would be great.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm still waiting for a TIE Fighter remake.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Even if the characters in this game are sympathetic First Order troops, I don't see how anyone could support the First Order that we're seeing by TFA. And lest we forget, they blew up the center of legitimate government. :p

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Has anyone heard anything about how long the campaign will be? With all of the content I am concerned it will be fairly short and I hope that's not the case.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Which is a good thing if you hate the New Republic.

:)

Again, the First Order does nothing the Empire did and seems to be a somewhat nicer version of the Empire even if they're both evil fascists. It's funny because I'm not a big Imperial apologists but I totally reject this whole, "The Empire may have been bad but at least they're not the First Order." Which is a wholly arbitrary and bizarre distinction to make given one is just the canon Imperial Remnant.

16. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I have a hard time saying the Empire was worse than the FO. I do think it's more likely that the FO is worse. However, I tend to believe they're equally evil, albiet different kinds. The FO is a lot more ideological and fanatic, where as the Empire is more calculated and pragmatic. They do pretty much the same things but their motives and methods are different.

DurararaFTW and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Huh, I had no idea Iden was brought to life the same way Starkiller was. And her actor seems pretty cool too.

Kylun likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

The First Order blew up five planets, only one of which was the center of government. The other four, as far as we know, did not house any New Republic government facilities. They were innocent planets, just like Alderaan, and they were annihilated for no good reason other than "oh, since we're shooting one of 'em, might as well do 'em all for good measure." No, the First Order is not a nicer version of the Empire. It also: kidnaps and brainwashes children to be its soldiers as a matter of course, and if any of those soldiers show any signs of empathy or disloyalty, they are reconditioned. Neither the Empire or the First Order are any kind of good at all. But the First Order definitely is not nicer than the Empire.

Mia Mesharad and JediKnight75 like this.
  19. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    OMG a SpecForce dress! Should be a canon outfit for special forces.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Why do you hate the NR? Or at least act like you hate it.
    I don't hate it- I pity it, but I sure don't hate it.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Good point–I definitely don't see anything the NR has done so far that's warranted hate. The whole Centrist/Populist thing shows that by Bloodline its politicians have become inept. But hey, the sky's blue and water's wet. The NR as a whole seems spectacularly stable for the duration of the 30-year period between ROTJ and TFA, and is only destabilized, in large part, by FO sympathizers like Carise Sindian.

22. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    The six film saga shows how democracy fails. The idea behind the NR from an OOU sense is that it should show democracy done right. In both continuities the NR fails, making it seem as if democracy doesn't work. Hence I side with the 2nd Empire of Legacy. It shouldn't have to be this way! (Not that I hate the 2nd Empire!)

23. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Janina Gavankar is *perfection*. Just look at that cute ass dork lose it over getting cast in a Star Wars role. Not gonna lie, the fact that she's the lead for BF2 is a big factor in deciding to actually give this one a chance.

Charlemagne19 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I thought those were the moons of Hosnian Prime and centers of the Republic fleet since that was the actual goal of Starkiller base. Also, noteworthy that General Hux balks at Snoke's destruction of worlds not related to military targets. He finds the idea of destroying the other worlds in the Resistance unrelated to their activities to be revolting, even though he submits to Snoke's authority. As for reconditioning, we see the Empire conditioning its soldiers all the time.

We also see the Empire conscripting soldiers from young ages all the time. Its predecessor also made use of clones.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My general view of the New Republic is informed a great deal by the movies and where I think they're going with the books and films, which is specifically the idea the New Republic allowed itself to become weak and nonfunctional out of a fear of a New Empire arising. I see things like TWO Confederacy successor organizations arising from the ashes of the Empire and a pirate nation which seem to be among the planets which the New Republic has allowed to exist. Likewise, I think the New Republic trading Coruscant to Mas Ameda is a MASSIVE betrayal of a trillion or so citizens.

I don't ACTUALLY think the First Order is a great group and they've so far been portrayed as 100% vile without any "noble" Imperials when we've got Ciena Re and other decent Imperials. I'm also curious how Rae Sloane has been affected by events and whether she's corrupted by the First Order or remains semi-noble until she's mysteriously absent.

I wrote my novel, Lucifer's Star, in fact because I *DID* want to read a space opera which was "heroes on both sides" and that doesn't seem like what we're going to get from the FO. I hold out hope, however, the New Republic is going to prove to be as flawed and weak an organization as I hope because I like my ambiguities.