main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Kyle Katarn return to canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 14, 2017.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    What's your view on this?

Do you think he still has a place in the new canon?

Though with what happens to Luke Academy, perhaps a nu Kyle should not take the path towards a Jedi Knight. Have him join the rebellion during the OT era and afterwards become an agent of the New Republic. Sometime he finds a lightsaber in his travels. If he has any relation to Luke and Jedi training, he could have sought some out but later left the academy before Kylo's rampage.

With Kyle making a comeback, it could also lead to bringing back the dark trooper project.

How would you want a nu Kyle to be? Or do you take the other side, and prefer if the character is kept out of Disney canon.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No.

EU is dead, it's well past time to move along.

Stay dead, brave Kyle. Your legacy was ruined after Dark Forces II anyway...

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Kyle Katarn is a great character but we're in a kind of weird place where he's lost his place in the universe.

Cassian/Jyn
    Kanan/General Syndula

Both basically have taken the traditional roles of Kyle and Jan.

Revanfan1 and Lord Sith Harloxzz like this.
  4. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I agree against bringing him back, but mostly because Disney should just make new characters rather than bringing back old one. If they want a reboot, they should go all the way with it.

Ulicus , Vialco and Ender Sai like this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't see why that's the case at all.

It's like saying, "Why should Superman be Clark Kent in a DC movieverse."

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  6. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    The only good reason to bring Kyle and Jan back would be if they were making a new Dark Forces/Jedi Knight video game. If that happened, I'd want and expect to play the game as Kyle. I wouldn't want Kyle or Jan to suddenly come back into canon via another media. They have to be recreated in their video game domain first, and then they could be mentioned or appear in other media (books and TV for example).

The fact that the puzzle and maze type of first person shooter (that Dark Forces and Jedi Knight were) is almost an extinct genre in gaming today, means there is little chance that any first person shooter from EA would be called Dark Forces or Jedi Knight because the gameplay would be totally different (modern, cinematic, rollercoaster style FPS).

One thing I would have loved to have seen though, which is an exception to the above, was an HWK-290 in the Rebel fleet in Rogue One. Because it then would have been up to the viewer to wonder if it is the Mouldy Crow and decide for themselves whether Kyle and Jan are piloting it or not. Dave Filoni, Just put an unnamed HWK-290 blowing stuff up in a space battle in an episode of Rebels, that would be the best Easter egg ever.

7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    They did. His name is Kanan.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There's A LOT of hints, at least to my eyes, that he's based on Kyle.

He certainly fills the same ecological niche.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The question is if canon should return to Kyle Katarn.

But it's too late. No one betrays Kyle Katarn and lives.

10. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Without Kyle to stop her, Sariss would be victorious. (Sariss is still canon because she was in the new hope on Taatooine.)

AusStig likes this.
  11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I love Kyle, but I'm afraid that Charlemagne19 has hit the nail on the head. If he is introduced into canon he'd be pretty unoriginal because of Cassian and Kanan (or Cassian and Kanan won't be original because of Kyle). Otherwise, he'd need to be substantially different from his Legends version (and thus from Cassian and Kanan), but then what's the point?

vncredleader likes this.
  12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    If the story's right, then sure. That's how the story group is going about including these elements, after all: they're using things they need or want in order to tell the stories they're interested in. The question of whether or not something should be brought back into canon rests entirely on how or why, so until then there's no way to say.

13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Frozen board.

15. Kanan is the Kyle Katarn version of this canon he is very similar to Kyle and Hera is very similar to Jan
    Only the difference that his history occurs before the OT and not after

16. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    Katarn is one of the few characters I wouldn't mind seeing imported into Canon. His character is versatile enough that you could build several plotlines around him. That said, I won't particularly miss him if he remains Legends.

17. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Kanan existing isn't a good reason to never have a nu Kyle. Their are some similarities, but their can be enough differences. After all Kyle won't be a relic from the old Order, could still be ex imperial. Unlike Legends he doesn't become a Jedi knight and never has an apprentice. Unlike Kanan, Kyle uses less of the force. Also he isn't a blind man. Kyle Katarn could also be introduced in a time period which Kanan is dead.

JediBatman likes this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yes. Next question.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I would love a Dark Forces reboot game, actually.

Doom got a reboot after all.

Ditto, The Force Unleashed.

20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'm with StarWarsFan91, there are similarities between Kyle and Kanan, but not enough that they're basically the same character. After all, speaking of The Force Unleashed, I've also heard Kanan compared to Rahm Kota (Sam Whitwer has an unusual habit of finding bearded Order 66 survivors leading a proto-Rebel cell and blinding them ;)).

As with any Legends character, bringing them into the New Canon can be tricky. Fanservice can be fun, but you want to make sure the character is true to their roots and that they fit the story being told. It's especially tricky here given the New Canon's version of the Luke's Jedi Order has been subject to another purge. But then again they brought Thrawn back, shifted his story to Pre-ANH instead of post ROTJ, and somehow made it work pretty well.

I agree with the idea of a Dark Forces reboot featuring him, but the timing is tricky. They could do a story of Kyle doing adventures with Luke's Jedi, fighting crime lords and warlords before Kylo's hissy fit the new purge, but we'll probably have to wait until the ST movies are over before they begin really filling in that era with stories. They could do a story where Kyle secretly survived the purge, and is off on his own adventure killing First Order troops on the other side of the galaxy during the events of TFA, but it could come off as a little fan-service-ey. So for now the best option would be "Kyle as a Rebel agent/potential Jedi" stories.

Barriss_Coffee and Kylun like this.
  21. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I imagine if Kyle ever came back he WOULDN'T be force sensitive. After all this isn't the nineties anymore main, characters in star wars don't have to be part jedi.

22. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    At least he should acquire a lightsaber, even if he isn't a force user.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Kyle Katarn has to use the force if he gets a lightsabre. The one thing he MUST have is his Bryar pistol.

24. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Oh yes, i'd love to see him back, but then I am biased as the 2 Dark Forces games are among the first games I ever played. I guess he has a lot of similarities to Kanan (though a different past and different motives early on) but why not bring him back as a video game character? Having a game where you work as a mercenary type and get to use blaster and sabre does tick allot of gamers boxes. I am afraid as the universe fills up again, you are going to get characters that had similarities to each other, just like in old EU or any fictional universe. In fact you could argue is has already happened with some new characters, so why selectively disallow old EU characters for that reason?

25. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    IDK, I'm reminded of when Krennic's white uniform caused people to speculate that he was Thrawn, only they'd changed him to human instead of Chiss. My response then is my response now: "If the writers are smart enough to know how much fans would love to have this character back in canon, then they're also smart enough to know there would be a huge backlash if they changed him so much he might as well be a completely new character."

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  26. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Agreed he needs the bryar pistol, but he doesn't need the force to get his hands on a saber. Their are several examples of non force users using one.

27. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Why isn't this a poll?

I want him to return in the next Kingdom Hearts. Everyone's all Cheery-go-Lucky until suddenly the ineffectual Key turns into a Bryar.

TrandoJedi and Ulicus like this.
  28. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If they ever do a "re-canonization bio" in the EU, I'd do it this way:

Kyle Katarn was an Special Forces stormtrooper who defected to the New Republic after being recruited by Fulcrum (Kallus) and was a participant in the Battle of Scarif. Thus, he was a participant in stealing the Death Star plans, however obliquely.Despite the fact he had done many operations for the Rebellion, he was distrusted by his colleagues due to the harsher more cold Rebellion of Rogue One. He was frequently paired with Rebel intelligence operative, Jan Ors, who was a member of Saw Gerrara's Partisans and had only left said organization when she realized she was a substitute for his missing apprentice Jyn.

Kyle Katarn had a secret, however, with the fact he was Force Sensitive and eventually received a lightsaber from a long dead Jedi Knight via a message by from his father who told him he had been meant to be picked up by the Jedi during the Clone Wars but couldn't be due to the chaos. In truth, Kyle Katarn had medium force sensitivity at best and a predilection for the Dark Side. Kyle Katarns adventures remain classified but he had several run-ins with the Inquisition, including the Grand Inquisitor who he fought (and failed to kill) on the planet Jedha plus General Rohm Mohc, who was head of the Imperial Deathtrooper Academy.

Ultimately, Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn met but the latter refused his offer to be trained as a Jedi in this universe as he found himself unable to escape war. As such, he remained a member of the New Republic's commando forces which participated in the Battle of Jakku instead. Ultimately, he became a member of Princess Leia's Resistance along with longtime partner/lover Jan Ors.

Kyle's greatest accomplishment during the Resistance was killing First Order-aligned Knight of Ren Desann and Nightsister imposter Tavion. Desann was was notably one of Kylo Ren's students and as much a fan of him as Kylo Ren was of Darth Vader while Tavion adored long-dead bounty hunter Ventress. During his final mission, before the events of Force Awakens he recruited Resistance pilot Jaden Korr (A Twilek woman) and helped teach what little Force knowledge he'd picked up.

Despite being a man in his sixties, Kyle Katarn decided after the destruction of Hosnian Prime the Jedi were needed more than another soldier so he vowed to deliver Jaden and himself to Luke Skywalker for training once Princess Leia found them.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.