main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Screaming Citadel (One-Shot, Star Wars #31-32, Doctor Aphra #7-8) (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 17, 2017.

1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Actually Dr Aphra is the only reason I still read it

2. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Hey I just realized that the Queen of Screaming Citadel isn't that old...Maybe even Luke's age. She also have red hair. Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Haha I hadn't thought of MJ no, but hey, who knows huh? Lol.
    I think the Queen is a bit older than she looks though, like a few hundred years or so older.

4. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    This arc has been pretty forgettable so far, like most Marvel events.

I did like how Han getting taken over by one of the symbiotes was like the possessed Indy in Temple of Doom.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Probably the biggest problem with this particular arc is that the main purpose for it was to bring Aphra into contact with the big 3. The plot surrounding them running into eachother was completely secondary.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Which is completely unnecessary. The first Doctor Aphra arc built a nice momentum which was abrupted with this crossover. I think that Aphra is popular enough and doesn't need a "boost" by the Big 3 or other main movie characters anymore (as proven by the past 4 issues).

7. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I love dr Aphra and her arcs before big three were very interesting. Just Sana Starros in her story could be cool

spicer likes this.
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I think they are trying to turn Aphra into a character that will be around for a long long time to come. To do that they need to give her some larger purpose than just going around searching for ancient artifacts. The Aphra comic is only going to last for so long and they want her to be a relevant character longer than that.

9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree, and I certainly hope they'll keep Aphra for a long time. But I don't think that giving her a larger purpose needs the presence of the Big 3.

10. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I remember when Aphra was first introduced, all most people wanted to talk about was how long before she got killed by Vader. I always thought she was safer than most did, especially after she got her own arc on Naboo, but there were some dire moments during the Vader series. Now I would be shocked if she wasn't around at least until post-RotJ.

Thinking more about this crossover, it occurred to me that Aphra's unusual reactions to Luke maybe can be traced back to her knowledge of Luke's mother and what happened when he was an infant. Especially in the panels where we see her reaction to learning of the death of Luke's aunt and uncle, and again when she says that Luke has been shaped by his tragedies. She knows about some that even he doesn't.

11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Sorry for really harping on the artwork in this series, but seriously, what's with this expression on Luke's face? It looks like Larrocca used a picture of a sulking 4-year-old as a source. Is this expression really the right fit for the story at this point? And what is up with his mishapened right leg? Also, this colourist continues to be the worst partner for Larroca, why are there 'shadows' all the way up the jacket sleeve and randomly placed all over regardless of the light source?
    [​IMG]

Comments on artwork aside, you guys really hit the nail on the head with the scooby doo comparison.

Vialco and Jedi Jessy like this.
  12. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Oh my... Said it after first issue and I will have to say it again... definitely not my cup of tea.. It really doesnt feel like Star Wars at all not to mention is all a bit boring... cant wait for solo comics from Aphra and SW.

Vialco likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's Marvel for you. Hopefully the lukewarm-at-best reception to this arc will help rein them in when it comes to Star Wars in the future, but I wouldn't count on it. [face_sigh]

Vialco and spicer like this.
  14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I hope they'll take the constructive criticism in consideration. And I'd like to be more optimistic than you that they will consider it :)

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I rather like wild and wacky Star Wars stories - this one reminded me a little of the Devilworlds comic The Pandora Effect - with the residents of the Screaming Citadel being akin to The Five.

Rur, I'm told, is actually a reimagining of Rur from the Devilworlds comic Blind Fury -

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rur

maybe it's not so surprising that there's a Devilworlds vibe (for me, at least) in this comic too.

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

I think Luke is trying to do the NO face.
    [​IMG]

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I think what's odd about it to me is the relatively realistic look with his face being so at odds with the complete cartoony look of his hand (and the rest of the image). Like...whoa. Talk about uncanny valley.

iPodwithnomusic and Jedi Jessy like this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Unfortunately I don't know if they read (or care) about any criticism.

Being optimistic: they will change the writer (Greg Rucka ~writer of Shattered Empire~ or Marjorie Liu ~Han Solo comics~ could be cool).

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Listening too much to fan reactions can in many cases be even more dangerous than not listening to it. For starters a lot of fan feedback tends to be gut reactions without them taking time to really think about it. Also a lot of times as well fans tend to give extreme reviews/reactions where its either great or it is horrible and there isn't much middle ground.

Secondly the sample size of the reactions they see tends to be rather small and often does not give a good picture of how it is being viewed overall by everyone who reads it.

Best thing to do is to take note of the reactions but don't change things immediately because of it. If the sales start having a sharp drop plus there is widespread criticism than that might be an indication that things need to change.

As of now with the Star Wars comics the sales have all stayed consistently good to great and though there has been pockets of criticism the criticism hasn't been real widespread.

spicer and Darth_Voider like this.
  20. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Nazi Captain America had a big criticism, how they deal with it?

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    No one really knows what they changed about it but they've introduced an alternate reality Steve as the "real" Captain when this was supposed to be the Real Captain only altered by the cosmic cube.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm glad I haven't nor will ever read a story featuring Nazi Cap some things aren't worth the upsetting the status quo, no matter how temporarily.

I mean can you imagine if suddenly SW's next arc ended with a heart to heart between Han and Leia only once she'd left him alone it showed Han coming an imperial admiral with the phrase "Long live the empire."......

23. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    They most certainly read it. Sometimes they even reply to our comments.
    Excellent point, something that I'm guilty of too sometimes. But when the reactions are almost universally negative, as they are for this crossover (at least on this forum), they should most certainly take our criticism into serious consideration.

24. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  25. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I seriously don't get the negativity.

So in this arc Leia is shown to take charge and able to work with what she has on hand.

Why this nitpicky? why not enjoy the storyline and the art? Oh well, Han wouldn't do this, Leia should do that? But if everything went logical, no story. Sana would just have killed Aphra and Leia and co would just bomb the citadel from orbit.

Stop it and enjoy the art.