main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I thought pizza (in the States) was a post-war thing?

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    It is. It happened because soldiers returning from service in Italy came home with a hankering for pizza. My meaning up there was that I totally used that information to inform a character's reaction to something.

edit: ...and to further confound the matter: Pizza existed in the States BEFORE the second world war, just not widely. (In the New York area, one would have had to go to Newark...)

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    YKYAFFWW a phrase in a friend's story that you're betaing inspires you to head to YouTube, listen to a recording of Ella Fitzgerald singing the blues (as if anyone needs an excuse to listen to Ella Fitzgerald sing anything anytime [face_love] ), and then spontaneously try your hand at GFFAifying said blues song. (And ditto if the verb "GFFAify" is part of your vocabulary. :p )

4. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    If you've GFFAified Garth Brooks' The River in your head.

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If, in order to allegorise the inevitability of windy conditions at location, you retcon a character's breakfast to include a bowl of Weetabix.

6. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you are sometimes still haunted by the characters you killed.

Sith-I-5 and mavjade like this.
  7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you sometimes make a doublepost.
    Sorry

divapilot and mavjade like this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    .....When a corner of your brainspace turns into a bar or something where you chat (and sometimes - okay, frequently - argue) with the characters from your fics like they are actual real people.

Anedon likes this.
  9. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    when you kill an OC, there was a body. There were pictures and witnesses. Yet you try to find ways to bring her back.

Sith-I-5 and Tarsier like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    When you have at least seven pages of world building ideas you want to use

Tarsier likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just want to ad that if anybody needs any ideas I am willing to share (most of my ideas are regarding planets)

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Your Ibrix has been renting a floor in my headspace for months; I have plans for that place.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Double post because the first one, rather comprehensively, not only "didn't work", but "disappeared"!

14. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016
    Been there, done that. :( I killed off a character in one of mine once and I didn't have the heart to keep going.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    But it's a WAR!!!! SOMEONE has to die once in a while... (doesn't make it any easier, but as an author, sometimes you have to bite the bullet. There is a great SW web comic, Blue Milk, which loved their version of Biggs so much that they brought him back from the dead as a very solid ghost.)

YKYAFFW... you ponder about E.L. James converting her Twilight fanfic to something original, and start wondering how your own stories would read if you tried that...and deciding that they make more sense as fanfic!

16. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Oh, I can agree with you there. It's hard as hell for me to kill my OCs. I've just grown so attached to them throughout the entire writing process. Hell, even when said OC was the villain of the entire work I felt really bad for him when I wrote his death.

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I wrote a veeeery loooong fic where I killed off virtually every single one of my OCs. I feel very evil now [face_devil]

18. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Yup, it just hit me today that the family I'm so lovingly creating are all going to die :_| and there's no way for me to plausibly save all of them from their fate and stay with canon unless I bring in some big honking deus ex machina.

ETA: ...when you have a story that just needs the last chapter finished, but the giant purple plot bunny that requires developing fanon and a whole cast of OCs is suddenly so much more fun!

19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I like the idea of off-screen deaths. Then I can imagine they are still out there somewhere. I don't want to kill off my OCs because I started writing Fanfiction because I found the Profics way too depressing with too many deaths. It sort of defeats the point of writing my own stories if I follow down that same path. I have killed off the Grandparents of my OCs. I mean, people can't live forever and dying of old age is expected.

Tarsier, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when your characters first appearance ended with you wondering if you'd killed your fictional feline. (I hadn't...)

21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when your OC turns out to be someone other than you thought they were.

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    As co-GM of the Galaxy At War IV:Schism of the Sith (GAW) role-playing game, I used established OCs and capital ships, and their crews, that had been with me for years, to populate plots, and it was a killing field. I lost about eighty characters before I actively started to consider my choices: You would be perfect for that storyline, as a foil for the players. But, no way am I putting you in there.

There is a bit of a shift in thinking between writing fanfic, where you control everything, to writing your own part in a roleplay, with no way to anticipate what other players are going to do; but it is quite another when you realise that the first character of yours that you were invested in, however much, and that you brought in, happily thinking you would be benefitting the story whilst adding more material to his/her history, timeline, and background, is actually going to buy the farm in your next post.

23. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016

One of my OCs died in an explosion during an assassination attempt on a government official and he hadn't been that important, but I cried four or five times while I was writing his demise.

Sith-I-5 and Mistress_Renata like this.
  24. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I moved the OC Death discussion over to the OC thread. Because it is something to discuss & it's hard to do. Even J.K. Rowling second-guessed herself. But if she hadn't, the story wouldn't have been so powerful.

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    YKYAAFFW when you research something on your phone, and that webpage stays there and accessible ad infinitum, even if you are not doing anything with it, until some time in the future when you eventually no longer need it.